Remember when......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whisker maniac, Jun 10, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just thought it would be fun and interesting for the younger folks that come in here to read about the way it used to be way back when...:eek:oooh:

For instance I can remember when I started driving gas was only .36 cents a gal.

I can remember when fishing license was only 5.00 fishing and hunting licenses have not had much increase with inflation like everything else has.

when I was a real small boy I can remember getting a can coke for .10 cents

Bubble gum was two pieces for a penny.

There was no cable, no satalite, no microwaves, no cell phones, no computers, no nintendos or such... and no push button or remote phones.

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I remember a few. :eek:oooh:

No electricity until I was 14.
    Nickle cokes and RC colas.
    Picture show 9 cents.
    First drivers licenses at 14, cost one dollar, no test.
    Paid 17 cents for gas when I starting using the truck on dates.
    No indoor bath until I went in the service at 17.
    Also saw a TV for the first time at 17 in the service.
    During WW2, the store got in a box of double bubble, only sold one penny piece to a customer.
    WW2 rationing... gas, items made of rubber and food items.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Wow didnt' have to take a test for a drivers license??????

Glad they don't do that these days with the teenagers we have today:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    :wink::smile2:thats ARKANSAS for ya:big_smile:

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nope, in fact, that day my mom went to the court house and got license for dad and myself. Back then the license was hand written on a blank forum on common paper. A dollar each was the main requirement. I went back to TX the next year and was stopped by a DPS trooper. I showed him my license, he laughed but accepted them since I didn't live in TX.
    I started doing all the driving when I was 14. My dad hated driving. We moved from TX to AR right after my 14 birthday. I drove all the way.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't remember anything quite as cool as those things, but in my youth I remember:

-$.60 cent gas, leaded
    -Black and white tv, no remotes, no cable. Thought we were high tech when
    we got an electric motor on our antenna to tune in channels.
    - Not being able to find a seatbelt anywhere in a car, they were all lost under
    the seats and no one cared.
    - Going to the little italian grocery store my great uncle Angelo owned and
    getting my grandmas groceries and a birch beer in a bottle for me and
    putting it on the tab.
    - walking to school no matter how far it was.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Even though I'm only 43 years old, I can still remember the days of the full service Gas Stations. Recall my mom saying $4.00 worth please and that would darn near fill up the gas tank. Attendant would clean the windshield and check the oil. Yep! Would be nice to go back in time again. A more simple lifestyle without all this technology crap. Nowadays people are getting more lazy than ever with the glamorous ammenities of life. Remote control for the TV, Remote starter for the vehicle, microwaves, riding lawnmowers, etc. Even though we appreciate some of these luxuries, I believe we can live without them. :wink:

Thanks.
    Mark..

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    ☺ Heck 60¢ gas wasn't that long ago.
    ☺ TVs always had remote controls, remember when your dad told you to get up and change the channel for him.
    ☺ Last time I bought Double Bubble, it was 2¢, don't know what it is now.
    ☺ How about the packets of toothpicks soaked in cinnamon oil for 5¢.
    ☺ Walking to school uphill in 5' of snow, and walking back home from school, also uphill but in 15' of snow.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, let's see......I'm 45, and I remember quite a few of the things that have been mentioned.

Yep, full service gas stations.......and I do recall when gas was $.36 (or maybe $.39 a gallon - I wasn't close to driving age then though). Seat belts? Yeah, they were there but as has been mentioned, nobody used 'em.

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.....no COKE :tounge_out:. Bottled Pepsi for $.10, then a quarter for a LONG time. I hated it when they started stocking the machines with cans. Now I like the cans better than the plastic bottles.

Old black rotary phones, yep. Boy we thought it was somethin' to get an avocado green one in the 70s.

We had a black and white TV until 1971 when my parents built a house. Guess we were movin' on and up in the world, 'cause they bought a color television that year. We also got a rotary antenna like Mike mentioned. But, when I was around 13, Santa brought me a B&W for my bedroom. I abandoned the big color one in the den for my own space the majority of the time.

We had record players, not stereos......they played 33s, 45s, and 78s, nobody had an 8-track in my family. The only thing I had that would play cassette tapes was a tape recorder, but they were always tapes we made ourselves, and nobody knew what a CD WAS. :big_smile:

I must admit, I do enjoy my music. I'd hate to have to give up my CDs, and as far as new-fangled contraptions go......I'd miss this computer, but I'd get over it. And on my roof right now, stands a rotary antenna. That's where my television reception comes from. :smile2:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I remember buying big red sodas for a dime and ya had to drag em along the rail till ya got em to the end and pulled em up and opened em on the side,I remember dumpin the top box out bout once a week too.gas around 30 cents,walkin to the store without supervision and not needing any.we minded when I was a kid. 8 track tape players,45 and 33 lp vynal records and phonagraphs,black and white tv's with only a few channels. and watching green acres,dragnet,my three sons,leave it to beaver,jackie gleason,ed sullivan and red skelton .

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm 43 and remember alot of that stuff. I had a bike and a BB gun, a shotgun and a .22 the next year. Didnt have a skateboard till I was about 11-12, they didnt make em yet. Dont know what happened to the skateboard, still got the shotgun and .22 .

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Man! You're bringing back memories. Those old shows were awesome. Carroll Burnett Show, I Love Lucy, Gilligans Island and the old cartoons, like The Jetsons, Flintstones, Yogi Bear, too many to mention. They don't make them like they used too!! Didn't matter if you watched them in Black or White TV! :big_smile::wink:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Popcorn either popped on the stove in a pan (grandma's house) or in the old popcorn popper with the big yellow lid that doubled as the bowl when the popcorn was ready (our house).

The old 16 oz returnable soda bottles. I miss those, they still had them in Mexico 10 years ago or so when I was there last.

No VCR/DVR, either you saw it when it came on or you had to hear all your friends tell you how you missed out on whatever the cool show of the week was at school the next day.

Leaving to play outside before your parents woke up and not coming back until they started hollering it was time for dinner. And getting told go back out and play if you DID show up before they started hollering:smile2:

Keeping score at sporting events....

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Got a message from a l'il bird sayin' I should tell "them" about the lovely appliance colors in the 1970s. I'm not sure any REAL young'uns have viewed this thread yet......youngest person I see sayin' thank you is 33 I believe. :big_smile:

Anyhow, we had stainless steel pots, pans, and bowls, but not appliances. Our stove, fridge, washer and dryer were all avocado green. (Why, to match the phone of course! :wink:) We did have a stainless steel sink.

Who can name the other popular appliance colors of the 1970s?

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    don't foget harvest gold

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I seem to remember faux wood on the old, giant VCRs that first came out and on a dishwasher or two that I saw. Probably to match the fake wood on the side of the '74 station wagon parked in the driveway....:eek:oooh:

17. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Yep bring em back, everything except old fishing reels! Thanks for the reps, Justin is mad that I have some.:smile2:

18. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    My reply was directed towards on the thanks for the reps. City dwellers in NY pay big bucks for the retro look of the 70's. Yellow vinyl steel framed kitchen chairs and formica kitchen table.

19. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here is one, I remember when it was legal to spank your kids.......boy did I get a few of those, and I will say all were deserved.......lol

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I remember the days when my Mom's kithchen walls were painted bright yellow or turquiose blue. The yellow paint about blinded your eyes every time you walked into the kitchen. I think that's why I ate dinner and supper in the living room watching Little House on the Prarie or the Waltons. Yeah! Those were the days!:big_smile: