remember when......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by willcat, Apr 2, 2008.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I remember when they used to look like this & the guy would fill up ur car for you then check ur oil, clean ur w/shield & when he had to add oil he needed to "pop" a hole in the can or use the funnel w/the little spike in it to pour it in.....

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    here's 3 more......

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    and here's 3 more....

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    and here's 3 more

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    just a few more...

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    and last but not least..I know alot of us can relate to these....

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those were few and far between even when I was growing up!!

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    there were quite a few in these small towns when I was growing up, I love the old pumps. There's this guy that lives in a town over that has one restored to like new & it looks really cool!!! There are alot of people who restore them and sell them for alot of money...I dont ever remember seeing one being used but they all still had them around, I just thought it was the coolest thing for someone to fill up ur car & check it out for you!!!! Kinda made u feel rich in a way

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    willcat you need to go up to northern PA.I worked up there last fall and in this 1 town all the gas stations were that way.Renovo I believe it was way out in the sticks.Realy nice people and I couldnt get used to having my car filled up by someone so I would get out and talk to em :big_smile:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Those bring back memories. Not been so many years ago we bought some gas at a station that had a one of the old hand pumps with the glass container on top. It was the only place you could buy gas during a power failure.

Also remember stations sold bulk oil by the quart jar full like in the picture. We also had some of those on the farm. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those are great Pics. Thanks for sharing. I remember well the days of Gas Stations. Now its Convience Stations. No wonder why so many moterists are stranded along side the roads,.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Them were the days, gas stations had real mechanics in em too, and delivered bulk fuel. A good place to sit and discuss what might be going on in a small town. The pop machine was inside, 5 cents. How is is we could survive with only 2 pumps at a station? Now we got 12 or more.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the pop machine was 10 cents from what I can remember as i'm not as old as u gentlemen!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:j/k

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    As I recall, sometimes, that full service could be hard on your batteries, tires, belts, and hoses:wink:.

-- Rich

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I don't believe you're as old as me either Will, but $.10 is the lowest amount I remember a drink machine taking. As far as the full service stations, I remember 'em too.....the ones left around here that have similar architectural design to the pics you posted are now mostly body shops, vehicle repair places, and detailing establishments.

We had one station which provided full service up into the late 1980s, but you had to go to one specific pump to get it. :big_smile:

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the pics, enjoyed my looking

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    yep that is the way I remember it, the closest to the station was full service, if u parked outside of that u were pumping ur own fuel & checking ur own oil!!!!