Remember us Okies

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    altho the water around me has subsided a little, and i am not in harms way, there is a lot of flooding going on around me. if you folks remember, a month or so ago i posted some pics of flooding and a link to a youtube vid i shot. today it was much worse than then.

we have had 6 or 7 inches in my area today. i went to town earlier and half the streets of shawnee are closed.

i am now watching a rescue in progress in oklahoma city of a car in danger of being swept into a lake with passengers inside.

the river behind me was already at flood stage. it will surely come out of its banks later today. i only hope there wasn't much rain upstream of us. regardless, those downstream from here are in for some flooding.

We appreciate it, but y'all can stop praying for rain now!:big_smile:

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    :sad2:phil, I am sorry, I have been prayin for rain, but it was not for all yall to keep it to yourselves....Yall could share some to the east and west of ya where we need it most. I know I sure would like to see the water levels come up here some, and Id like to see our grass a lil greener instead of dryed out brown. It would be nice to see them take some of yalls overflow probs and put out the westward fires....Be safe and keep us informed of your situation. You are in our thoughts.:wink:

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

Attached Files:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    dang! i hope it hangs in there for you my friend

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats not good Phil, stay safe Brother. I pray your not in a area thats prone to flash flooding!!

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Phil, from what I heard and saw when I was in Ok, you guys have had alot of rain. The amount that came down on early friday morning and friday night when I was there was something else.

Jaime

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now Jamie, the way I remember it, you wasn't worried about the rain...but of Tornados. You watched TWISTER since you got home? LOL The way it is going now, we are going to have to grow gills to survive...then some of you guys would probably come along an stick us in the rear anatomy with your circle hooks. Guess some Okies do have whiskers, come to think about it. Better start running now, OldProwler. ROTFLMAO

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Prayers are sent for rain. :wink:

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phil,
    It has been a long time since I have been to Oklahoma...I seen your Name with Shawnee and it brought back some old memories for me...I lived in Okumulgee,Ok for 7 years of my young life...From the time I was 2 until I turned the ripe ole age of 8...I can also Remember the Address where I used to live for some reason...601 North Alabama,Okmulgee,OK 74114...I remember only a few things from there...The fishing was great,there was a highway called the beeline and a watering hole we used to swim in called lake greenwood..I do remember fishing the Red River of the Mississippi also...Was the last time I ever fished in a river...I would like to some time learn how to do it again...just know it is lots different than fishing Lakes and such...

We used to ride our Bicycles from Okmulgee to Muskogee to some church friends house to watch wrestling at 12noon on Saturdays cause we didn't have TV at home...those where the days...when we used to play all day and have no worries...I am sorry to hear about all the flooding in your area friend...I will say a prayer...Just be safe and don't be getting into it if ya don't have to...

Thank You for bringing back old memories...have a few more but sure you are tired of hearing about them...

10. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Tea, you quit prayin for that rain, our cars are floatin out the driveway now. LOL

Jan has the canoe on the front porch just in case we have to run for it (i mean paddle for it)

Phil I have a Coleman crawdad over here if you need it.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

Tom, toss that thing in the north canadian and i'll grab it when comes by:smile2:

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    We are just down the river from you and it will come here soon and we don't want it at all. river here is still flowing about 140000 cfs. I hope it stop raining for a day or to. Need to save some for summer.

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well Brother,
    You said you where not tired of hearing about them so here go's...

I can remember going to the river on the weekend and stopping by the olé gas station on the way getting a pop and a chick-o-stick...That was before pop was an everyday thing...Remember kool-aid...

I also remember catching carp there and giving them to this olé colored man that was always under the bridge fishing rain or shine every weekend...He was a nice olé man with a thankful stringer of fish every time we saw him...

I have more things I remember like going to the 5 and dime store:big_smile:...and slipping into the drug store and getting a real cherry coke...

I hope I am bringing back a few memories for some one else here as this was good times for me...it was the 70's I know I am not that old but still can't believe how much times have changed....From 52 cents a gal. of gas to now and you could get a fist full of candy for .25 cents also chew was only .25 cent a can...Now 4 dollars a can for my brand...I remember the Indians who lived next to us and behind us...as we lived real close to the res...The chief lived right across from us...I remember the rain dance...come on guys tell me some of your tales...I wanna hear some from you older men if you don't mind sharing one from your memorie...

I remember Monkey wards(Montgomery Wards) and walking through the toy department and staring at this olé purple bike with the banana seat drooling...

More memories to come...Just let me know if I am helping bring memories back for any of you I would like to hear some of them...Getting older here and enjoy more simple stuff in life now...Helping make memories for my children is what I do now...How about letting me hear some tales from your memories any takers?

14. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    The New Mannford Ramp campground where the Keystone5 gathering was held was CLOSED at midnight last night due to rising water.
    The city manager told me that the restroom building at the north end of the park, (highest point in camp) will have 4' or more of standing water in it by Tuesday.
    Rain continues to be a problem here.

15. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am sorry you all are getting so much rain as this is very destructive when this happens and disruptive to the fish...

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They have also close Lake Arcadia due to high water and state authorities said more will probably be closed.

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    As most of you know, I don't watch the news or even read the paper anymore, but I did turn on the weather channel at Mom's last night, to check on y'all and those in TX. Lord, what a mess of water y'all have out there. God bless and keep y'all.

Remember too that dog days is about to set in, so be careful, about getting cut or hurt, as it will take it longer to heal. Prayers that the rains subside.

Cheryl

18. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Mike,

That means your camping trip is pretty much over before it even got started huh?...Sorry to hear that my friend..

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, a couple of days ago the north canadian river went down a foot or two and was back in its banks. went out and looked this afternoon and it is out again. either someone got a ton of rain north of us, or there was water released upstream bigtime. east of shawnee the river is about 1/3 mile wide...

the pic is the little axe ramp at thunderbird. 6 weeks ago there were many ramps closed due to lack of water...now they are closing because of too much water:embarassed:...SIGH..i wanna go fishing:angry:

Attached Files:

20. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Lawrence,

Maybe they will fix the Roads there in Oklahoma now. I still say y'all have the roughest roads known to man...lol