Remember this while hunting this year!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kycatman01, Aug 21, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We all know that deer season is right around the bend. I just wanted to remind everyone to be safe. Always wear your safety harness when hunting from a treestand. Always use your safety while using guns. Always be sure what your shooting at and what is behind it. Always wear your hunters orange. I am sure there is others(safety measures) also, but you know what I am getting at. We don't want any careless accidents this year. Just be careful and good hunting!!

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good reminder...good post

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great reminder, and always let someone know where your hunting and when you plan on returning. I wont climb a tree without my harness.

4. BAITFISH

BAITFISH New Member

State:
    Bringhurst,IN.
    :beated: :beated: :beated: :beated: :beated:

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hmmmm..I just got home from the welding shop where we were talking about this very thing. Two years ago a guy we knew was shot by a fellow hunter,(if you can call him that).

This was the second individual that the said "hunter" has shot. The first one lived, the second didn't. The Victim was walking out of the woods at dark to meet up with his ride. It was dark enough for a flash light, But, he was only a few yards from the edge so he didn't have his flash light turned on.

The "hunter" or shooter was over 200+ yards away and saw movement. He rapid fired 3 rounds from his 30-06. The first round missed and the victim turned and dove for cover. The second round entered above his right butt cheek and exited through his left collar bone. He was found face down with cigarette burns on his lips and one arm so they say death was instant.

The shooter faced no criminal charges. The family won a small wrongful death case, $400,000. The game & fish have yet to prosecute.

Some say it was the fault of the victim for not having his light on. I do not see it that way. I think the shooter should be hung up by his nuts and left to dry.

I very seldom used to use a light when walking in and out. That has changed. People like this shooter are what make me primarily a bow hunter.

So use a light guys, there are idiots out there that think a deer is worth being reckless with a rifle.

Robert

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Never thought about the light aspect, I dont even carry one half the time. I just got one of those that you wear on your head so Ill be putting that in the pack. I agree the guy(shooter) should be up for manslaughter at the least.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Horrible story, & unfortunately there will be more. Please be careful guys. Use lights, make noise walking out, something. Yes, you have to be "on defense" sometimes when hunting. I agree, the guy committed a horrible act--took a life. Justice should be done. I feel bad for the victim's family.
    Just everyone, remember. We all know the safety guidelines...let's just not get lazy & assume we're doing it right. Think things through. We all want to be here after deer season to brag about our year's hunts!!
    Safe hunting to all of you!!
    Jackie..I would've repped you, but it's been too soon...Great post!

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thank's for the reminder Jackie we all need reminding from time to time.

:0010: