Remember the politicians and Lake Hefner in OKC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Jul 18, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am referring in particular to the mayor who it seemed closed a road used by fishermen to aid his golfing buddies. Closed the road because the city was afraid a golfer would hit a fisherman...shucks, most golfers have problems getting out of sand traps. At any rate, the City council has just announced there will be a moratorium of commercial development on the lake. They have set aside one 5 acre tract and said thats it...the rest of this lake will be for recreational purposes (subject to change, of course). Their master plan is to build more floating docks. boat slips, and places for people to fish. One of the platforms is to be in something like 17' of water. When asked what's the fishermen to do when the fish move to deep water, they got a blank expression on their face... like WHAT, fish move?
    I guess they have finally got some respect for or at least fuzzy feelings for the citizens who use the lake as a recreational place. It has some small cats, crappie, saugereye, hybrids, bass and carp. Lots of jogging trails, and of course the golf course. They are going to try and improve the fishing. Lets hope they do, but I still don't think it will be anything Daryll will want to fish. LOL

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh, I'll fish it alright Lawrence.

As long as someone will lie to me and tell me theres a Big Cat in there I'll spend HOURS drowning bait. Hey wait I do that a lot already!

Occassionally my fishin' will get interrupted by catching something........... but only occassionally.:smile2:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Daryl, just about any lake in Oklahoma has some big flathead, in the forty to sixty pound bracket. Guthrie Lake and Liberty lake, which is about 19 miles North of OKC, El Reno Lake which is about 20 or 25 miles west, Overholser and Hefner in OKC all have the flatheads and each lake has a cult of fishermen who fish exclusively for this fish...then they put them back in to catch again... at least most do. Arcadia lake, which is about 12 miles North of the center of OKC has some blues, but not monster ones like in your avatar...think the biggest they have pulled out of there is 52 pounds... that's why I say the fishing is so poor here...no way near what is is on the big rivers in the North, Northeast or East. Of course, Texas has big catfish, but heck, everything the Texans have is bigger and better. If you want to make a fishing trip like Friday, Saturday and Sunday, your only about 100 to 120 miles north of Lake Texhoma...for a few days it had the world record blue caught out of it and probably still has a world record blue waiting to be caught. I'd find someone from Texas or Southern OK to fish with you that knows the lake.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for coming clean Lawrence, I thought you were probably yanking my chain. Next time I have to head down there I'll get a little more detail.

I have another hobby that eats up my time while in Oklahoma though and that is Trilobites. Yup, you all have a world-class trilobite quarry operating out of Clarita.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A WHAT? Is that some sort of disease imported from TEXAS?

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sure sounds to me like something undesireable sent up to us from Texas

7. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is great and I did not know about the Trilobites in OK!!!! I am an avid arrowhead/fossil hunter...I have to check this out! What is the cost?

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, this is a little off-topic but here is a pic of some of the Trilobites I have found and prepped. All from Oklahoma except the rear center one.

The quarry I go to is privately owned and not a pay-dig operation. I just happen to be good friends with the owner. Lucky me.

Attached Files:

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    :crazy: Wow! Those looked wicked! Good thing I already got my vaccinations.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Darryl... Several years ago my good friend Fordman and I made our first fishing trip together in a small boat at Lake Hefner. We relaxed in the quiet of the evening getting to know one another.

To make a long story short, Mike hooked up with a fish that towed us around the lake for over an hour before the hook finally worried itself loose. We were both exhausted, but laughing through the excitement of the moment. It was better than crying.

There are some truly HUGE flathead in the central Oklahoma lakes. If you are fortunate enough to connect with one of these leviathons of the night, take measurements and a picture before releasing the beast back into the water to grow up.

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Just think of them as a king-sized cockroach...

12. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Lmao thats what they look like... Now AwShucks I also play golf and trust me, You don't want a golf ball to hit ya. Oh wait without shoes on your feet you can run... :smile2: Fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr run Awshucks run:smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darryl, those looks like some of the diseased pecans I've seen the Texans trying to sell. LOL AND, my little hill billy friend, I'm glad to see you doing better.