Remebering: The scents of your childhood.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by elphaba7, May 23, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    My Grandpap smelled like Vitalis and Old Spice.:smile2:
    Gram was Aquanet hairspray, and L'Air Du Temps perfume.:003:
    Their house smelled like chlorine from the pool, and a hamburger fried in a pan, and warm zucchini bread, and the huge row of lilacs on the outside of the fence.:002:
    My Dad smelled like Brut.:roll_eyes:
    Uncle Jack was cigarettes, booze and feet.:005:

What did your childhood smell like?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jen my Dad before he stopped smoking smelled like Vantage and English Leather I used to steal his cologne but now cant stand wearing any lol. When my Dad died we put some English Leather in the Coffin along with some other stuff (I left a Navy Hat since he was in in the Navy and a picture of him with some fish he caught since we went fishing all the time).

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    grandparents house had so many different smells
    wood cookstove and like a odor of pinto beans and hamhocks is a
    smell that i can recall of their place.
    it was a farm so there were so many interesting smells from feed sacks to potatos and peanuts cucumbers and the vegetable garden with all its
    plants cant forget fresh cut hay and the barn with dry hay and straw
    not to mention the cows , pigs ,and chickens :tounge_out: and the smell of a horse.

really liked the smells from the theater in town fresh made cotton candy
    and popcorn.

4. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    There is nothing like the feeling you get when you smell something and it takes you back. Its hard to explain.:0a11:

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    This is an interesting post and one that forced to think back a long time. At my grandparents home the smell I most remember is frying chicken. No one and I mean no you could fry chicken like my grandmother could. Her house was always filled with smells from the kitchen because my grandmother was a sat at home woman who spent her whole day every day taking care of the house and preparing my grandfather to get home from work.

My home was a little different. My mom worked part time and was and still very maticulas about keeping her house clean. The fresh smell of spring is very vivid in my memory. My mom would keep that spring smell in the house well into summer. I don't know how but she did. Then in the evenings, she was busy cooking supper for the family. Pork Chops frying, potatos frying, a fresh pot of beans on the stove and the aroma of fresh vegies from the garden. Tomatos, green onions, cucumbers, and corn on the cobb. :tounge_out:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

As a child I occassionally stayed overnight with my maternal grandparents. I slept upstairs, and when I would awaken I could always smell bacon and coffee, even when there wasn't any. At seventeen I learned that when I was six months old my parents were separated for six weeks. My mom and I stayed with her parents. My grandmother always believed that the bacon and coffee thing was something that stuck in my subconscious from that time period. (I guess she made more breakfasts then.) I now live in the house that belonged to my grandparents. Some mornings I can still smell them... Summer saturdays at home recall scents I still enjoy - waking up late to the smell of Dad's freshly mown grass and Mom's crisp white cotton sheets blowing in the wind.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

To me, the smell of diesel exhaust always reminds me of the smell from the generators at the county fair.

To this day everytime I smell diesel exhaust, I get a smile on my face.

8. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey there Jen,Believe it or not,you just brought back some very emotional memorie's with your question.Coffee & breakfast food at the parent's house for me.I haven't communicated with them since my son's mom left me and filed for divorce which was 7 years ago.Maybe it's time to bury the hatchet? Who knows what can happen in the next 7 years.Anyhow,unusual post,but a though-provoking one.THANKS!

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    a smell that sticks in my mind is from early grade school. when the cafeteria was having hamburg gravey and mashed potaters and peas, the whole school could smell it being cooked.... or a least i smelled it!!! yummmmmmm:big_smile:

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wow, great thread here. Sometimes I cant nail down a smell but I know it when I smell it. I walk into alot of homes every week with my job and every now and then something takes me back to my childhood either at home or at grandma and grandpa's. Just weird and amazing what a scent can do to stir up memories.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I agree that this is a great thread. So I'm puttin' it back on top...

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No! Don't do that.....now I have to smell it all over again!:crazy:

13. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

Are we talkin' 'bout stinkbait here,Tea?

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO John, what have I ever done to you. hehehe

15. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    The smell of Moma's chilli simmering...and her homemade bread baking. I really miss her.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i almost forgot now i know this aint the normal here but you said smells ........i always and still do think the best smell in the world
    well not the best but ill say a very unusual and pleaseing smell
    is a menthol cigarette being lit with a zippo lighter (ronson fluid)
    anybody????
    i used to love smelling that first initial aroma from a fresh sparked salem
    and it is about the only thing that has that aroma.
    and how about redman or beechnut chewing tobacco ? that stuff smells good too.
    yeo lots of interesting smells.......heck i smell too:lol:

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

John, there IS NO forgetting that. I have some relatives that own a hog farm.

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My husband & I met, & fell in love, 35 yrs ago @ his uncle's skating rink! Whenever I hear the song, "This magic moment", I still can recall the sounds, the smell of the old wood floors, the windows propped open on summer nights (no air conditioning! Imagine!)& I go back.
    Also, on another weird note...I LOVE the smell of a Zippo lighter right after it's been lit! My Dad smoked for years, as did my husband (he quit 8 yrs ago). Another smell....the chlorine mixed with pool water on the hot concrete by a swimming pool. Used to swim alot as a young teen @ the public pool.
    Puppy breath!!! Another wonder smell...you know, new little young puppies & that warm soft breath! Okay..okay...enough!!

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Just like it was yesterday, I remember the scents of honeysuckle and dogwoods in bloom, My Mom's cooking , coming out through the yard where we played. The smell of fresh cut grass where dad had mowed.
    I remember the smells of fresh cooked, wild meat on the grill, the scents of the few farm animals we had, yes , I loved it.
    I remember the smell of the first airport i ever went to as a child to welcome home Vets from Nam. I also remember the scent from my daddy's burial flowers and how they seemed to calm my soul, knowing , he was in a better place.
    I remember the smells and scents from my first child,born to me, and the last.
    I would trade all for one and then again none for all.
    Thanks for this thread, It brings back to light, memories I supress,but need to be always remembered.
    (yea, I know some were not MY childhood,but, there are FROM childhood.)

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Good thread, Jen! I remember the smell of mom's fried chicken and apple cobbler and dads BBQ, the most! Just about every post brought back the memories of one smell or another! Most of the ones I remember were from the family vacations we took a couple times a year. The smell of the morning, in the forest, near a stream. Fresh coffee and bacon cooking mixed with the smell of the campfire. I remember the smells of the ocean and fishermans wharf and the sounds that went with it. The smells of fall, wet leaves and the first rain! Fresh turned soil for the spring garden.
    I also remember the smells of different bussiness. The butcher shop, bowling alley, newstand (pipe tobacco), A&W Hamburgers, french frys and of course root beer. We also had "Heinz" factory and you could smell ketchup from one end of town to the other and "Holly Sugar" had it's own smell from the sugar beets!
    Fun thread Jen! Thanks for taking me back!