Rem.308 help needed

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by CountryHart, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My neighbor just showed me a 308, Remington "model 788" and it has a safety problem. When you first load the gun, the safety can be pushed off and the rifle shot. After you shoot it and bolt another round into the chamber, the trigger won't pull. You can put the safety back on safe and pull it back to shoot and it will fire. Essentially it's a single shot.:confused2: Anybody had similar issues with one of the rifles? All and any input is appreciated.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,I have two Rem mod 788s and I have never experienced this with either of mine. I think a thourough cleaning may be in order,But when you take the action apart from the stock,there may be something noticibly wrong [loose screw ] etc .

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    sounds like maybe a trigger adjustment would help it .

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Check the trigger group to make sure it is not loose. . Check where the bolt handle attaches to the bolt body. There are often cracks or repairs here. Check for wear on the locking lugs. If all the lugs on one side are worn and the other 6 lugs aren't, there could be trouble.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    There is more than likley build up in the trigger assembly and when it cycles the firing pin it is partially dragging the safety into the safe position. Remove the stock and carefully clean the trigger group out with solvent. If possible use a syringe and flush the cleaner through the trigger until clean. I have had to use a brake cleaner before to get everything out on one VERY dirty gun BUT I do not recommend it unless you have the ability to take the group apart and wipe and lube everything. The trigger I did was stuck together from years of WD40 and after soaking in brake cleaner I had to push the parts out with a brass punch. WD 40 when it dries creates a varnish and will glue parts together.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Starting fluid makes a good trigger asemble cleaner and then relube it good. Just be sure to use in well ventilated area. Has he had the gun for a while or just got it??

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The first thing I would do is contact Remington.
    They may have a recall or service bulletin out on that problem.

If not get it to a qualified gunsmith. The safety aint the best part of a gun to learn on.

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I agree, I checked there web site before my post and there are no recalls on the 788 listed on there web site.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just took it apart, boiled water and scrubbed the trigger assembly, oiled er up and she works like a new one. Thanks everyone. The bore is soaking in shooters choice as we speak and after it soaks all nite i'll clean the barrel good and zero it in tomorrow. Youth season opens Sat. and hopefully the neighbor kid can kill his first one with it. Again thanks everyone for the input.

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Thanks for the update and congrats on getting it working. How bad was the trigger? The one I used the brake cleaner on was in a crock pot of biodegradable cleaner (Simple Green) for 8 hours and came out as suck as it went in. There were parts stuck so tight when I got them out I had to use a brass hammer and punch to pop them apart. After questioning is when I found out that they guy would oil them about every month with WD 40 even though he was not shooting it. The varnish just kept building up for about 4-5 years.