relocating daisy chained fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Goldenshinner, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

in an effort to redistribute weight off my rear transome, and towards the front of the boat, i am woundering if anyone has any ideas of how to place a small say 1gal fuel tank that is gravity feed by a larger main tank(placed centraly in the middle of the boat). Is this a standard set up?? any thoughts or ideas??

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why not just stick a big fuel tank in the front. Most outboards have there own fuel pump.

In my 19' Roughneck, I put a 18 gallon tank in the front and just ran about 25foot of fuel line hose to my 90 Merc. That Roughneck has a couple slots in the rub rail that are made to mount things on. Well the one works perfect to run that fuel hose in. I have never had a problem with lack of fuel.

3. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

well my main tank is a 12gal, and allong with several batteries is too much weight on the rear end. i think it is costing me atleast afew inches in running freeboard. i am afraid that if the length of the fuel line gets that long(25ft!), and it would to fish it around to that length, that the fuel pump would have trouble sucking the gass. thus my interest in a gravity feed to a small reserve mounted close to the motors. so i guess what im realy looking for is a method of gravity feeding gas to a rear tank that would be then traditionaly sucked into the motor under pressure.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Unless you have a bad pump, it will suck the fuel. You will need one of those squeese bulbs in the line close to the motor, to get the fuel there, and thats it. Try it in your yard with a set of those ear muffs on the motor for water. You can set your tank in the front temporily, and squeese that bulb till it's hard. Hit the key and fire that baby up. You will see, it will run fine. I'm not sure what size my fuel line is, it's either 5/16s or 3/8s. Only bad thing is that darn fuel line is about $1.25 a foot. But mine was in place for 6 years before I changed it out. Another thing don't buy your squeese bulb at Walmart. I made that mistake with a replacement. It was brick hard after 1 season in the sun. I went to a marina and bought a Merccruser one, and its going strong. Less money than Walmarts. My original came with the Merc motor in the box, and it lasted 6 years in the sun. I changed out the fuel line at that time too, but I don't think I would have had too.

Just try it, I think you are trying to make this project hardewre than you need too.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    goldenshiner, i used to own a 18 ft starcraft that i put the tank in front for weight. i took a pvc pipe and ran it down the side of boat and ran gas line through it. just had to pump to prime motor and it ran great. both the 60 and the 9.9 kicker. the pumps in the motors will work great. seems like a gravity fed would take up more room. darn tube running down middle of boat for the gas.
    gary

6. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa

I agree, sound advice.

I moved my tank forward for balance when I was still setting the boat up the way I wanted it. Ran fine, had no problems. I believe it was around 18' of fuel line. I opted to move it back only b/c it ran better when I was alone as I had to much weight forward since the helm is in the front. Plus I smoke and didn't like the idea of sitting on a tank of gas w/ cig in mouth. I know alot of guys w/ river boats and most have their tanks located from midship forward w/ no problems.

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

just an odd thought, could you run both the 9.9 and the 60 off the same line at the same time?