Reloading

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by TRP1, Jul 30, 2007.

1. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Due to the cost of ammo going up all the time I've been thinking about reloading. Anyone here reload and what press would you recommend to start out with?

2. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    It totally depends on what you want to reload. Rifle and pistol, or shotgun. I load all 3. For metallic shells I use an RCBS Rockchucker. For shotgun ammo it's an older Hornady Apex. Loads all shell lengths with minor adjustments. There are a ton of different reloaders out there. Just need to know what you want to do. John

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been reloading since I was 16 and I started with a MEC600 whitch I still use for 12,20 and 410 also reload rifle with a LEE CHALLENGER press and lee lee dies,using the little scoops provided it aint fast or fancy but its practical and it makes quality ammo,as for saving money ,now with all the hoopla involved after the 9/11 incident everything pertaining to ammo and things of dangerous nature have gone out of site couple that with high prices on copper ,lead ,and brass and you dont save a lot but it is a very rewarding hobby and you have the means to custom tailor your loads to suit your gun ,hence better accuracy thats why I started .hope this helps ,check out www. midwayusa.com for a bunch of reloading related items.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    WE do some reloading. we started out with a lee challenger press.got the lee anniversary reloading kit from Midway USA it comes with all but the Dies. this will get you started and if you like reloading then go for the RCBS rock kit it is awesome!!!!! but the lee is cheaper and of good quality for the money. I have reloaded over 1000 rounds of 7mm wsm's and it's still doing a good job. if you can afford the RCBS kit go for it if not lee is the way to go .good luck and be safe.

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I have a rcbs rockchucker, and it is a good press. If I was going to be doing any high volume reloading I might look into a progressive setup. A single stage is probably the best to start with though and they are great for precision reloading.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I only reload for a 30/06 and use a Lee Challenger press kit a single press. Its perfect for what I use it for, a box or two a year. If I was going to reload any more than that I would want something that wasnt so slow. I would think the Lee Pro 1000 would be great for a handgun loader if your going to be shooting alot.

7. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I started out loading for handguns with a Rock Chucker. That took too long and I then purchased a Lee Turret loader. Not quite the quality of the Rock Chucker but it was faster.

Now, I have moved up to Dillon 550B's. I have one set up for small primers and the other for large primers. I found a good deal when I got my second one. The Dillon, in my opinion, is top notch. If you are going to shoot very much, it will not take long to pay for a Dillon.

The 550B can be used to reload most rifle rounds also.

drd

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    TRP1 ya got some good advice. The only thing I might add is that the Dillion products are proprietary, whereas the others at least the dies will interchange. You can use RCBS in Lee and Lyman etc. If you're just starting a kit will save ya money. Also reloading, be sure an use the manuals, not what ya might see as a suggested load on the internet....all the powder mfgs. put out load manuals for their products.(powders) When they say max, they mean it. Also wear safety goggles when yer priming cases. Have fun. It's a hoot.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What I would tell my grandson about reloading.I started out with a "Classic Lee Loader" that I still have after 40 years.Still works great!First I would go to the "Lee Precision,Inc."website and all other reloading websites that I could find.Learn all that you can.Your local library can get the reloading manuals for you if they don;t have them.I have 1 "Accurate",1 "Hodgdon",1 "Hornady",1 "Lee",2 "Nosler" & 2 "Speer" manuals.I want the Lee "MODERN RELOADING Second Edition".I started out with the old "Classic Lee Loaders",bought a "Hornady" loader and then bought "Lee Challenger" & "Hand presses".I added dies and more "Classic" loaders as time and calibers came into my life.I have the powder scale,various case trimmers and other necessary case prep stuff.This is very important,as you can ruin your gun and yourself without properly cleaning,inspecting,measuring,trimming and forming your brass.I still love to use my old Classic Lee Loaders.This is the cheapest way to get started and find out if reloading is for you.You can take it with you and set up on a pick up tail gate,rock or stump.Many have bought thousands of dollars worth of equipment and then find out it ain;t for them.Find out all you can.You got to live with your choices.It is as safe or as dangerous as you make it.Remember that "Hot loads"are extremely good for four things.1-They damage your guns each time they are fired,so don;t think that you are getting away with it because it don;t blow up on you the first time.2-They get you into that very special school for the blind where you learn to get around with that little white cane or how to follow a dog for the rest of your life.3-They get you in the grave yard.4-Everyone gets to talk about how stupid you are and what a burden you now are on everyone because of your stupidity.I wish you the best.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Started reloading 38 SPL and 357 pistol back in the 70's. I use RCBS equipment.... Rock Chucker press, Du-O-measure power dump, scales, primer feeder and tray. Also use the RCBS bullet sizer and lubricator for I cast my own bullets using a Lee furnace and Lee bullet mold. Use lead from wheel weights and temper it.

The first thing you should purchase is a good Reloader's manual and use it!
    Mines a Speer and it's badly worn.

After you get set up about the biggest cost to reloading is the cost of primers, will run a little over 2 cents for small pistol. Bullets would also drive up the cost unless you make you own. I never bought any hulls, always plenty of those laying around. Back then myself and family could shoot up a thousand rounds pretty fast.

You can see all my setup in this picture. When we lived In TX I had a full size loading bench but now use my router table for I don't reload as much. Have plenty room for when I'm doing each operation I only have that equipment on the table. Like casting bullets, sizing and lubricating or loading.

Also reloaded 12 ga shotgun up till we moved from that great Blue Quail hunting country.:sad2:

Good luck!:big_smile:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That looks like a Speer #10 manual.I have the forth printing May 1982.I also have the #11 manual,second printing Jan.1988.It looks like I have all of the the same gear except for brand and bullet casting and sizing.I put my lead into fishing weights.Yea! You got a lot of "feel good"out of that gear.I shore did mine!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Peewee, yes, its a Speer #10, First printing, October, 1979.
    I also cast fishing weights using the Lee furnace. :big_smile:

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been reloading for years for both rifle and pistol. The pistol I reload for volume. I get alot of ammo for the money. Since the pistol takes alot more shooting to master, I just find a load close to the same recoil as the duty ammunition, and load that by the bunches. It saves alot of money!

I reload rifle to tailor the load to the gun. I still like to shoot alot to be proficient with the rifle, so I still save alot by reloading for rifle. The good factory rifle loads today shoot better and are loaded with premium bullets, unlike factory ammo in the past. It used to be that the only way to get premium ammunition was to reload. Now you can get it in factory, but at a much higher cost. You can still load rifle ammo at less cost, and play around with the primer/powder, bullet depth, to find the load your rifle groups best.

I know that alot of people say that a 1 or 2 inch group is all you need for hunting deer size game. That's true. I like to get the tightest possible groups to eliminate as much as possible any deviation at longer range. Most shots are taken inside 100 yards, but there's the occasional shot out to 300. A 2 inch group at 100 yards, is a 6 or more inch group at 300. If your squeeze or hold is a little off, it's magnified threefold and translates into a miss, or worse, a wounded animal.

It's also more gratifying to harvest game with ammunition you build and work up yourself. It's alot of fun, and relaxing. Just remember, get a good reloading manual, and stick to the book data. You won't have any problems.

14. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I have a Dillon 650 XL and 2 Dillon Square Deal B's. Great presses with lifetime warranty. Only the SDB uses Dillon specific dies. The othe Dillon presses will use what ever dies you prefer to use. I load 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 magnum and 45 ACP. I have loaded over 30,000 9mm rounds on my Square Deal B so for, I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge matches, and besides a little maintenance, no problems.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I couldn't have kept enough ammo loaded for PPC without my dillon 650! It will truley load 1000 rounds an hour. I love it for pistol ammo.

For rifle ammo, I still use my original RCBS rockchucker and love it. You can't beat the warranty either, with the exception of Dillon!

16. shooowhee

shooowhee New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well sail Pee Wee over 40 years myself an still using the same RCBS equipment. It also carriws a lifetime Warrenty. Shooowhee

17. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Been using a Lee Hand Press for a while now. Bought it in 1996. When you get it figured out, it's easy to load 100 per hour. Just bought dies for 44 mag to feed my new Blackhawk and Marlin 1894 combo. Now just need a good source for hard cast lead bullets.

18. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    I have the Rock chucker and the older RCBS. My first was a Lee kit. I've got'n purdy deep in to it now too. Man what a reward going to the range and map'n a bullet out and tune'n it to perfection.

Here's my set up on a bench my Dad built me. I have that progressive pistol loader my buddy gave me although I have not ever used it. Heck I can't even remember the name of it...

That powder thrower sure saves time and I tested it on normal RCBS scale and it's spot on time after time....

Resize of Alabama Hunt'n 016.jpg

Resize of DSCF0616.JPG

Nice thread here.... I know where to ask when I get ready to use that progressive loader.:smile2:

19. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    You have the choice of starting out as cheap as possible or all out.
    I have the Lee ann. kit (with 11 shell holders). It's about 15 years old.
    Use carbide dies. This will hit you up less than 150. with s/h.
    I buy powder and primers in bulk, they can be combined in 1 package,
    20. hazmat and s/h. In state venters will charge sales tax.
    Shop and compare, local venters and online.
    google "shooters supplies"

midwayusa.
    fmreloading.
    wideners.
    natchezss.
    midsouthshooterssupplies.
    all with dot com
    You'll find a few more online sites

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    MM< Yep, I'm set up with an Old RCBS for Rifle Ctg's,Pre- Rochchucker,, and Dillons's are setting the pace for my pistol reloading,, Square Deal B's for .38/.357. amd I load .45's, and .44's on a dillon 550. Got all of them used, for good prices,,
    I've had the RCBS press and a lot of other gear since 1974,, It just keeps working, I have stuff from Lee, Lyman, Forrester, Pacific, Huntington, and others..