Reloading

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by cuttingout69, Aug 15, 2005.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here it is. The frist post on reloading. Deer season is almost here and it is time to knock the dust out of barrel and put some rounds through them. I can't wait to watch my childern do some hunting this year. I have been teaching my son how to reload for a couple of years now, and last year he loaded his own 22-250 with me watching of course.

2. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I have worked up a good load for a .270 win mag I bought a few years ago. It's a nice rifle with a good balance so I'll probably try and tweak that load a little more and see if I can perfect it.

3. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    When we need more shells ... my dad and i reload together ... its one of those father son moments .... we talk deer mostly and planning the big hunt
    look forward to this every year ...

mike

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah,
    I've been reloading for?, well a long time. I love it!!! To me, reloading is just part of the hunting experience. A good rifle, good reloads custom loaded for that rifle and then the hunt to top it all off. Man that's hunting at its finest. Well, next to bow hunting that is. :D

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use to say that I could reload for every common cal. With all the new Short Mags, I can't say that any more. I have looked at all the new rifle data, and looks to me that they are just trying to put new paint on good old products. What do ya'll think?

6. zeeriverrat

zeeriverrat New Member

Hey Arkie...I see you got a new avatar...that fish looks familiar some how! Whoever took that pitcher sure did a good job!! :D

Reloading is a way more than just a hobby for me..started out reloading in 1972, with a bare bones outfit just trying to save money and be able to afford to shoot more....now I load for all my rifles except my SKSs...and that amounts to 10 or 12 calibers...I do lots of shooting and very little saving money...but it sure is fun...and I have to chuckle when folks ask me if I actually hunt with my reloads.....after all, I have been told that reloaded ammo aint real reliable... :glare:

I sure don't mind passing by all the stuff piled up in the ammo isle in the sporting goods shops..

zeeriverrat

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    knock on wood, I have never had a mis fire with a single one of my reloads. It has always gone bang when I pulled the trigger. I load for all my rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I have not bought a factory round for hunting in over 20 years now.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I'm with ya'll, there is no substitute for a properly tuned and loaded handload. You can take a mediocre rifle and make a tackdriver somtimes with a little patience and some knowledge. I'll have to agree also on the new calibers. They are all good but are not needed. To me it's like the 50mm scope craze a few years ago. It is just the gun and ammo mfgers way to generate revenue. Nothing wrong with it it just ain't for me. I hunt the woods with my .308 and 40mm Leuopold scope and keep my freezer and a couple of older folks freezers full.

whatever it takes

Cheez

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Zee good to see you post here. In case you guys don't know, Zee is the fishing partnere I often talk about. Yeah, that fish is the one I caught the day you and I were on the Black.

10. zeeriverrat

zeeriverrat New Member

I am sure that some folks will find a use for the new whizbang stuff that is around..and that is fine..but they have no appeal for me.

It seems lately that the old standy calibers are the ones that hold my interest..6.5x55, 7x57..257roberts...and some of the old timey obscure stuff and a few wildats.....35 whelen, 280AI, and the 338-06AI... For some folks all of the calibers I like would seem hard to find good ammo for....but since I enjoy reloading that just adds to my pleasure in dealing with those cartridges... :D

Terry..I sure like the new format on this board...its been a while since I dropped by..BTW I haven't been fishing since that last trip to the Black River with you...I am in need of a fishing fix bad :crying: , but haven't got a clue when I will be able to break away again...

Z :)

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I reloaded 300 Weatherby to 22 Hornet.Love to shoot all the old military cal.I have allways enjoyed my old hand "Lee Loaders"the best.I spot check my loads with all my new fangled stuff,but I just like doing it the old time way.A man can own them all,yet shoot 22 rimfire,pellet,and BB guns more than all the rest,in his lifetime.Yea,I sure had a good life!!!

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I really enjoy reloading for my hunting rifles. I've taught my 12 y/o grandson how to do it also (under my supervision only, of course) and he loves to load for his .308 & 7mm/08. Realistically, there are some very good factory loads on the store shelves, but it is just satisfying to know you've done you own.
    Always use lots of caution. We've never had a problem, always go by the book, step by step, double check every time.

13. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've taught all three of my son's to reload. The oldest is a real hunter and not serious at his reloading. I would call him a "bullet stuffer". My 24 year old on the other hand is not a real serious hunter but is an advanced reloader and shooter. My 16 year old still depends pretty much on dad to work up a load for him but then he helps me load um up. He's a pretty good hunter and last year took his best buck to date. It was a nice 15" wide 8pt taken with one shot at 125 yards with his little custom 6.5X55 with a hand loaded 140 grain Hornady Interlock. He's a good shot and a real patient stand setter.

14. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    i have really enjoyed reading this post and have been considering trying my hand at reloading now for some time. with a new .44 mag revolver, i just might have to finally do it. what brand equipment do u guys prefer? Lee was mentioned in one post.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Muskie_Hunter, there is a lot of good equipment out there. I personally use RCBS. I like their equipment and factory support if I need it, but like I said there is other excellent stuff, too. The most important thing is SAFETY! Get good information and stick to it.
    I have a friend who has used the old Lee loaders with powder measures for years with good success, but recently he bought an electronic powder scale and found that the measures he had been using all these years were inaccurate, usually on the low side of a charge, thankfully.

16. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey I have been unpacking the rock chucker and looking for the pieces , planing on loading some 75 grain for the 25-06 using 760 ball powder 57. grs.charge,never loaded this before or shot it ,just found it in a pet listing has anyone shot this load and what ya think , if y'all got any pet 25-06 loads i would like hearing about them thanks.

17. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    my books are old and don't show the 760 any one with a new manual showing a 25-06 load using 760 i would like to cross reference this load 75 gr.sierra varminter hp using win 760 with 57.0 powder ya can email me if you want thanks .