Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Waylon from Osage County, Oklahoma
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for large rifle primers or large rifle mag primers locally and there's none to be had, I can order them online "if" I get lucky & buy them the moment I find them BUT they're charging 3x the price & shipping is nuts on primers.

I've got 580 rounds of 30-30 165gr hardcast loaded but ran out of primers & need to load about 800 more. Anyone else had any luck finding supplies in your area

Premium Member
Naw, I can't find standard 209 primers of any brand locally. I have plenty of large and small pistol primers so have not been checking their availability and have not reloaded rifle rounds in several years. I have discussed this before but I would think capitalism would have taken over by now with manufacturers of other products capitalizing on the shortage and jumping in the game.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've even reached out to manufacturers in foreign and distant mystical lands trying to buy primers that I find at normal prices but I'd have to buy a ship load and fill out lots of paperwork to buy them. Like you I figured there'd be people getting in the game but I know the compound in primers is extremely volatile to make so maybe that's holding things up??

Registered
Primers in the Memphis, TN area are hard to find. Sportsman's Warehouse in Southaven and Academy Sports in Olive Branch may get some, but they go fast. A store closed and the owner brought a large load to the auction house in February. There were a few cartons of different size and brands that sold for $15 to 20 per pack. The auction started at 6 pm with just his stuff and ended at 11:30 pm. He set up a date to return but caught covid. Last I heard he was looking for someone to buy him out. Years ago Midway put on a pre-Christmas clearance sale online. I checked it a few times everyday. Wolf primers maybe as high as $21 per carton during that time, half day later $15. When they hit $13 I ordered all I could in small pistol. On our state gun owners someone will ask about some off brand primers I've never heard of. They are hard to find and aren't cheap either.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I bought any was 2016 & paid $35 per 1000 & I thought that was to expensive then lol.

I worked for Thunder Ammo & Arms building rifles and loading match ammo for years mainly big stuff like 50 bmg, 416 barret, 408 Cheytac & 338 Lapua some 300 wm but we had mountains of components on hand & I could use anything I wanted back then & life was good. Built some nice rifles but people wanted them worse than me $

I got away from the big boomers and long range game & like the old stuff now 30-30, 38-55 &45-70 just can't get the components to roll my own hardly these days

Registered
During my time in Nashville I was a safety officer at an outdoor gun range. Had my chance to pick through the case buckets for what I needed. Collect all the ammo boxes I wanted. Dug into the berm 3 times for 12 buckets each. Bring back the clay soup and pour down the berm. Some people didn't like our rules, there are other ranges in the area. Open to the public Fri, Sat and Sun. Local and state officers were there Mon thru Sun. If I had a few free hours during my work week I'd be there sorting, cleaning and bagging cases to sell. Might get into casting ingots, bullets or sinkers with senior safety officers. One senior officer would visit family in Clarksville, TN. If you ordered from Midsouth Shooters he would deliver it to you. Natchez SS wouldn't sell to TN ans. Officers could use my MS address and I'd deliver on my next return.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
During my time in Nashville I was a safety officer at an outdoor gun range. Had my chance to pick through the case buckets for what I needed. Collect all the ammo boxes I wanted. Dug into the berm 3 times for 12 buckets each. Bring back the clay soup and pour down the berm. Some people didn't like our rules, there are other ranges in the area. Open to the public Fri, Sat and Sun. Local and state officers were there Mon thru Sun. If I had a few free hours during my work week I'd be there sorting, cleaning and bagging cases to sell. Might get into casting ingots, bullets or sinkers with senior safety officers. One senior officer would visit family in Clarksville, TN. If you ordered from Midsouth Shooters he would deliver it to you. Natchez SS wouldn't sell to TN ans. Officers could use my MS address and I'd deliver on my next return.
I'd like to cast my own & have looked at doing it a few times but never committed. I run unique in my 30-30 & with hardcast 165gr loads they're only moving 1650fps but they'll shoot through a deer & they're soft on the shoulder. I don't stretch it on shots with those but under 100 they're killers

Registered
Most of my lead is/was free, might be pure plumber's lead, solder, battery lugs, spent bullets and sinkers or wheel weights. I clean the high school ROTC range room every year for about 50 lbs of lead and tin .177 pellets. Super old wheel weights were pure lead. Then they were allowed, not much needed for a hard cast bullet. Hard to find WW that aren't steel or zinc now. A little solder/tin helps to fill the molds better, adds a little strength to pure lead.
Some casters/reloaders will add more powder to see how hot they can shoot a round. A few will see how low they can go. I started with a 357-158 gr SWC mold. Can't reduce load very much with that weight. I got a 148, 140, 125 and 115 molds. The 115 LRN can be loaded with 2.3 gr Bullseye, HP-38 or WIN 231 with a mag primer, 2.5 gr with a standard primer. I'm punching paper at 5 to 15 yards, no need in hurting my hand firing a lot. Spend a few hours at the range instead of minutes. Check with store bought ammo before I leave.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have wheel weight here but it's far to soft to run up to 1600+ without leading a microgroove barrel & so it'll be fishing weights. I use Missouri bullet company hardcast and they're cheap enough I probably will just let them keep making mine lol

Registered
I have wheel weight here but it's far to soft to run up to 1600+ without leading a microgroove barrel & so it'll be fishing weights. I use Missouri bullet company hardcast and they're cheap enough I probably will just let them keep making mine lol
If you have wheel weights clip on you should be good to go you can always drop them in water straight out of the mold too Hardin them up and I believe maybe sized bigger..310 .311 my marlin 1894 in 44 mag needs a .432 boolit and my 41 magnum needs to be sized at 411 good luck 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you have wheel weights clip on you should be good to go you can always drop them in water straight out of the mold too Hardin them up and I believe maybe sized bigger..310 .311 my marlin 1894 in 44 mag needs a .432 boolit and my 41 magnum needs to be sized at 411 good luck 馃憤
Yes my barrel slugged at .309 ( edited for correction ) and my buddy cast me some 150's but I couldn't push them past 1450 without quite a bit of leading. He did a cold water quench but I wasn't there when he made them so maybe he didn't do something right I can't say. I've looked at powder coating as well but the Missouri bullets have a " hi-tek" coating, that's what they call it & so far no problems but more experimenting is needed when it's not 176 degrees here lol

Reactions: Luckydawg13

Premium Member
I use match magnum primers and br2 on some calibers and pretty much gave up on being able to find them on shelves years ago. Now I just get online and do the notify me system and wait鈥 and yep pay the high prices. But generally I鈥檓 also able to get the same lot that way.
Midway is normally the one that comes thru but even with the notification you have to be instant quick or they are gone!
I鈥檝e had really good luck getting bullets and brass thru them but primers and powder is a whole nother story鈥

Registered
I got sick of trying to find #11 percussion caps for my muzzle loader so I ordered a percussion cap maker from these folks. It works pretty well
And I鈥檒l never run out of caps in my life. I鈥檓 sure one could remanufacture primers in the same way. Lots of cool 鈥渟elf dependent鈥 tools on the site.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use match magnum primers and br2 on some calibers and pretty much gave up on being able to find them on shelves years ago. Now I just get online and do the notify me system and wait鈥 and yep pay the high prices. But generally I鈥檓 also able to get the same lot that way.
Midway is normally the one that comes thru but even with the notification you have to be instant quick or they are gone!
I鈥檝e had really good luck getting bullets and brass thru them but primers and powder is a whole nother story鈥
Necessity is kind of what drove me to hardcast bullets and unique powder. My loads use 10.5 grns of unique so powder goes a long way & they always have my bullets in stock. GunBroker came through on once fired 30-30 brass back immediately after the election so I bought a lot of it it's those pesky primers that have haunted me

Reactions: Jesus Saves

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got sick of trying to find #11 percussion caps for my muzzle loader so I ordered a percussion cap maker from these folks. It works pretty well
And I鈥檒l never run out of caps in my life. I鈥檓 sure one could remanufacture primers in the same way. Lots of cool 鈥渟elf dependent鈥 tools on the site.

I actually looked at rebuilding primers and found some components & tools but the ignition rate wasn't real good from people who'd used it & the pressure thing scares me in a lever action. If I was using a strong bolt action like a Mauser or Arisaka I'd not fret but the ol marlin 336 bolt I'm just not confident in case of a cup rupture on a primer

Reactions: wisgobbler997

Registered
Necessity is kind of what drove me to hardcast bullets and unique powder. My loads use 10.5 grns of unique so powder goes a long way & they always have my bullets in stock. GunBroker came through on once fired 30-30 brass back immediately after the election so I bought a lot of it it's those pesky primers that have haunted me
Yup Unique and Red Dot go a long ways I remember in the early 90s how hard it was to get things

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think red dot would gain me some fps but you'd sooner find a honest politician than any around here currently. I've got plenty of unique on hand so I guess I'll stay with it until we are forced to use sling shots to hunt with

Reactions: Luckydawg13

Registered
I think red dot would gain me some fps but you'd sooner find a honest politician than any around here currently. I've got plenty of unique on hand so I guess I'll stay with it until we are forced to use sling shots to hunt with
This is a great reason to own a traditional muzzleloader. I cast my own round balls make my own percussion caps and know how to make black powder. If I shot a flintlock it would be even easier to feed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts