Reloading Success:

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kat in the hat, Dec 14, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I finally started reloading a couple months ago, and MAN is it great. More accuracy and I can load 100 rounds for the same cost as 20 factory rounds. During the developement phase, ALL my loads were more accurate than any factory loads I have tried. Just before deer season, I just decided on a charge of 72 grains of IMR 4350 pushing a 165 grain Sierra Game King. It cooks along at a cool 3100 fps. I did finally end up smoking a button buck in the final days of antlerless season. Trust me...that deer was bummin'! :smile2: Anyways, when it warms back up, load developement will resume.

I let a buddy of mine shoot my gun one day, and he put 6 bullets in an area smaller than a dime...all holes touching. Didn't even know my rifle was capable of that kind of accuracy, but it is. That was the result of my first batches of reloads. I shot a group with all the holes touching too, but it was more of a line about an inch long. With Winchester Super-X, I couldn't get a group under 2" at 100 yards. Had to seat the bullet farther out...I believe that's what helped the most anyways. It's freakin' awesome. My summer "plinking" loads will be topped off with 220 grain Sierra Match King. I can't wait to start shooting at 500+ yards. By next winter, I will be very confident in long range shooting now that I can afford to pull the trigger. :cool2:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hello,
    Haven't seen you around in awhile..
    Glad to hear the reloading got going so well for you.. sounds like your rifle ain't a slouch either!! Don't EVER sell a rifle that shoots dime sized groups.... you'll be sorry..

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    what you shooting ?

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    .300 Win. Mag. Remington 710.

Yeah...cheap rifle. Pressed in barrel. :sad2: I don't know how long it will last, but I am very happy with it so far. The box magazine isn't long enough to accommodate longer bullet OAL, but I think I can deal with it. I'm already making tighter groups than I thought possible. 70 grains actually made the tightest group so far, but I haven't yet begun to push the velocity. It started out tight and kinda loosened up a bit, so I'm gonna push the limit, and if it doesn't tighten back up, I'll drop back down to 70, and stick with that for deer. Speed don't matter to me. Consistency does.

I haven't even begun to shoot for accuracy yet. Just took the chronograph out a couple of times to see how I was relating to recent load data. I was hitting good, so I figured I was good to go for deer season. I passed on the long shots though because I wasn't totally confident going by what it says in the books. I have a year to document my own trajectory based on reality, lol. BUT...my velocities have been within 50 fps. of what the books says they should be, and 25-30 fps. of each other. I'm not sure what maximum deviation should be, but the Super-X test ammo had much more deviation within the same lot, and more than 200 fps. difference from what was listed on the box. I believe the box said 3250 fps. for 150 gr. bullet, and they barely broke 2900. Chronys are cool.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice to see ya back Kat.

Don't point that thing at me. LOL.

John.

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Watch the primers for high pressure signs and check you cases for head separation!!!
    I have a 30-06 that will shotgun pattern most factory with a few nit staying in 8 inches at 150yds. I found a load that will keep them within an inch at 100 but it is a low power load for a 06 using 165 grain Noslers.
    Here are a few hints that may help you.
    When developing a load I get the bullet and powders I want to try. I load 5 rounds at the lowest recommended powder level and usually split the difference between the lowest and highest by 4. Every 5 I load I color the whole bottom of the case with a Sharpie and nit the color in my load book and on the box. When get all the rounds loaded I go shoot them and watch each set for pressure signs. When the group starts to open I drop back to the best and load 50-100 rounds for the gun.
    The colored heads make identification easy and if they got dumped out you can sort them easily enough. For testing I use Red, Green, Blue and Silver.
    For my standard loads I leave all varmint loads plain brass and hunting loads get colored with black. Dump ALL of my ammo in a pile on the floor and I can sort it without a doubt as to what it is.
    For optimal seating length for your gun take a fired case and kind of smash the mouth with your fingers to get it to hold a bullet snugly. Color the bullet with a dark Sharpie and put in into the mount of the case slightly and chamber the round. Remove the round (The bullet may stick, if it dose bump the butt stock on the floor and it will fall out). If the bullet comes out it will be scratched to the depth of the chamber. Easily press the bullet into the case to the line where the scratches stop and measure it. Now remove a few thousandths of an inch and you have the longest you can safely set your bullet out.
    I know someone who told me he could do it by feel and had good results with his loads until he tried Barnes bullet and set it to the same length he had set the Winchesters and it cracked the bolts locking lugs.
    Remember you have to re check the length for EVERY different bullet PERIOD. Bullets of different weights even if from the same company have different ogive shapes and lengths.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    John!!! That hat gives you that "been there, done that" look! Good to see ya!!!

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Matt!! Sounds like you're having a blast reloading :wink: Glad to hear it. There's a lot of satisfaction in knowing the ammo ya just downed an animal with was made by yourself.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks...and good post, and great advice. Yeah, at first, that's exactly what I planned to do to get the minimum bullet jump...BUT, my magazine won't allow that, so I seated just to where the shells will feed smoothly through the magazine. My OAL is probably 1/16" longer than factory or more. Yeah, I hear ya on the ogive. For now...until I see a need to change, my hunting bullets will remain Game King. I liked the results when I shot a deer. :big_smile: Honestly, I don't even know what the dimensions of my shells are. :embarassed: I just use my caliper for a max. OAL gauge, and I made a dummy round to set up my seating die with. I double check my dummy round with the gauge, then set up the die with it. I use a Lee case trimmer, and it indexes off the shell holder, so it's pretty much dummy proof. So far...I haven't really measured anything. Now, for some heavy target bullets, I will try to scoot the bullet out farther if necessary/possible, and I'll have to do some measuring. Prolly mic. my chamber, and make rounds that have to be fed one at a time. So far I think I got pretty lucky and found a good combo for hunting. Pretty much just tried to mimic my factory loads, but with a minor tweak.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,Nice to have you back posting again. I'm glad to hear of your progress on the reloading too. Sounds like ya got it about right for you.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Great to hear ya got the reloading set up going. In my 06 it seems bout everything shoots well. Always cool when your bullet holes touch.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wouldn't shoot factory loads anymore if they give em away.:eek:oooh: Thats a lie, i shoot anything free, but i hunt with handloads in my 270. Good to cya Matt, enjoy.

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Reloading is rewarding experience. I believe you will find that your most accurate loads are usually not the fastest, at least it has worked out that way for me over the years.

14. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah...ya hear this debate every so often about how good factory loads have gotten and there's no need to reload. Yeah, I've heard it on hunting shows, and even had a "professional" hunter tell me that it's just soooo good, there's no reason to reload. He said..."I used to reload, but factory loads have gotten so good that I don't do it anymore." I think it's more like..."I have tons of money, so I don't bother reloading." Because so far as I can tell...I can save a crap load of money, AND have better ammo, AND have a little extra satisfaction when killing an animal with my own ammo. I can't afford $2.50 every time I pull the trigger. Can't afford to practice shooting anyways.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My rifle does best about mid ways of the chart. It don't shoot hotter loads, or light loads for that matter. 52.7 gr.of IMR like your shooting, and 140 gr. bullet shoots best of anything i've tryed in my gun.

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have some friends that have a hunting show that is on TV and the loads they shoot are top BUT they are not buying over the shelf ammo. They are getting Nosler Custom Shop Select which are hand loads at Nosler. They sent a fired case from there gun and they are loaded for that gun. That is NOT a factory load to me.
    You will find that guns may like one bullet or speed more than anything else. My 06 likes about ANY 165-168 grain bullet BUT only at about 2500fps, 180 grains do better closer to 2700 but 220's are best (which is not very good) at 2300fps. A friend had a NEF single shot 25-06 that I tried Nosler, Barnes, Speer, Hornady and NOT ONE load would beat a factory 120 Remington Cor-lokt for accuracy. SO I loaded them and if I kept them REALLY REALLY close to factory loads they shot incredibly well but if I tried anything they went to junk. Even only neck sizing the case for accuracy in that gun killed the group at 100yds. In my 25-06 Sendero neck sizing only put my groups into a dime at 100 yds and only about the size of a quarter at 200 while full lenght sizing is about 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds.

17. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    You REALLY want to have some fun shooting look around for a load for your 300 that uses .310 diameter round balls. I have one somewhere if I find it I will post it. A friend uses them for coyotes, rabbits and squirrels. The more you use your gun the better you will get AND you can slip one in on someone and see how bad they are flinching!:wink:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kat its good to see you back on board. Sounds like you have got the reloading down to a science.

19. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    The host of the hunting program doesn't have to reload. The venders advertising on his program give him their products as part of promotion cost.

Cordale put out some vh tapes on archery hunting. He owned a lawn mower repair shop near me. He contacted his venders and used their equipment for making food plots, how to prepare your clothing for unsented hunts. Any and all things that were needed were part of promotion (ads). Since my son knew his son, we went to their house. Everything he showed us was given to him as ad promotions. He had a book with every product and who gave it to him to be used in a tape.

Great to see your enjoying this game of reloading. My sons will start at christmas with 9mm and .380 auto.

20. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I know they get their stuff as a promotion. I believe the show that they were actually debating the usefulness of reloading was North American Whitetail...or another program affiliated with a magazine. It's just strange to hear someone actually debate against it. One old farmer I was talking to said...Oh that's a huge mistake. I missed the biggest buck I ever saw because of reloaded ammunition. I pulled the trigger, and got nothing but a click. I wanted to say...Well just because you suck at it doesn't mean that I will. :big_smile: Yeah, you probably can't take my ammo and shoot it in your gun, but that's about the only downfall that I can think of, and that don't mean anything to me. It's fun, rewarding, and allows me to shoot my gun more. I see no downside. Even if I could buy ammo that shot well in my gun, I couldn't afford to shoot paper with it. I know you can buy good ammo. I'm happy for those who can afford it, or have it given to them. I just haven't found a way to do that yet, lol.