Reloading knowledge

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by katfish ken, Dec 6, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys there seams to be a great deal of us that reload to one extent or another. The intention of this thread is to hopefully exchange things that has been learned over the years. So that other who read it can learn from our experience good or bad.

One thing that I have learned over the years is if a lighter load is suffeceint
    for accuracy you will get more cycles from your brass than with the hotter loads.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One of the things I have started doing after resixing is ,I trim and chamfer my cases before polishing this will eliminate the tiny burrs that you just cant see. Great thread topic,Thanks for starting it Ken.

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Good thread!!!

I use to think that the more loaded ammo per hour the better. I spent a bundle on a progressive reloading press and was kicking out loaded shells like a mad man. It was great untill I was at the range one night and pulled the trigger on a 357 magnum and heard a faint pop. I set off the primer and managed to lodge the bullet in the barrel. My great progressive press faild to drop a charge in a case. This happened several times. I soon traded the progressive for a single stage press.

Now I take my time and load every case as if my life is going to depend on it.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You are welcome!!!
    Us guys that have been reloading for 20 or 30 odd years stand too learn from this as well. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum that will never be published in book form that we all can benefit from.

Another little bit of info.
    In light recoil loads accuracy is improved if the bullets are not crimped. Learned this when reloading for a 22-250 bolt action with box magazine yrs ago.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea Ken, I think you're on to something,,,

Seems like I've had to re-learn a lot of stuff through the years, as I go through periods when I'm loading up a stock pile, after load development, then maybe backing off for awhile..

I definitely separate my style and equipment regarding rifle and pistol reloading..

I do use progressive equipment for pistol calibers,, speeds up the "chore" of reloading for me,, allows me to shoot more than I reload, but, again, I'll go through a frenzy of loading and then have a couple of buckets to shoot through for awhile.
    I use Dillon equipment, and have a dedicated set-up for each caliber I reload..
    Then I wander around different calibers and handgun types,,, keeps it kinda fresh.
    I'm a big fan of large bore revolvers-older stuff, one of my favorites is a S&W Mod of 1955 .45 ACP 6" bbl,wheel gun.. Lot of fun to plunk with,, and I use the full moon clips, the original speed loader!!!
    I also shoot a lot of .45 auto.. Still my fav for a LONG time.

Another , is a S&W-Mod 29, .44 Mag, 3" bbl, that I load 200 gr bullets in, and got them going as SLOW as I can,,, It's a lot of fun, Can actually see the bullets flyin' sometimes, very pleasant to shoot.
    One S&W I've been tryin' to wear out for 30 yrs,is a K frame .22 w/6" bbl. It really keeps me honest in my shooting form!!!

Greg

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Greg
    I never got in to hand gunning much even though I have had a few over the years. Mostly wheel guns 22's 38's and 357 mag's. I could shoot one well enough but never took great interest. Now rifles Different story.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Ken, I hear that,,,

I use my long rifles as tools mainly to harvest game,, I use some oddball stuff to put more of a challenge or hunt back into it..
    I reload for all my rifles mostly,,, I don't have anything against getting some factory loaded ammo if it's similar to my loads. at a real decent price. Several calibers I shoot are not readily available commercially at any price..
    My rifle re-loading is done on an old single stage RCBS press I bought new in 1974..... Did a LOT of pistol reloading on it also..
    AS Richard-.223 mentioned and pointed out, trimming to length, chamfering inside and out, will help keep consistent ammo, as well as cleaning out the primer pockets. I still weigh each powder charge in rifle reloading, however, I use a Lyman electronic powder measuring scale/dispenser..

Handguns, I use a lot for pure enjoyment, I just like thumpin' stuff with them!!!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fellas,I started reloading when I was 14 yrs old,I started with 20 ga shotgun rounds and a MEC 600 jr press,I still have the same press and still use it. My metallic reloading started in my early 20 s When I acquired a remington mod.788 in 223,I was heavy into trapping and calling then as the prices were booming . I started with a Lee press and a set of Lee dies in the RGB persuasion,had a load data chart and instructions as well as a powder measure scoop in with the dies,I still use the same set up,Except that I bought the whole set of scoops. I have a system where I dump aa amount of powder into the top of the die pkg as its made like a plastic cup. Then EVERY time I make ONE scoop and drag off any that is heaped over with a paper business card. I take great pains to do this consistantly each and every time. I have groups to prove this makes some very accurate ammo. I am both cheap and poor,So I say if it aint broke ,dont fix it.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Richard,,
    Isn't the 788 the model with the rear bolt locking lugs?,, I think I had one a 100 years ago in .308... it crossed my eyes and gave me a low grade concussion when I shot it... I see the beauty of one in .223!!!:eek:oooh: as they were written up as being extremely accurate and economical..If it's the one I'm thinkin' of..

And, one reason I reload is to keep the cost of Quality ammo down,, I feel I shoot some of the best stuff possible for taking my big game critters.. Noslers, Hornady, Rem Cor-lokt projectiles are absolutely awesome on terminal performance...and these days there are many others to choose from,, a good problem to have!!:wink:

Accuracy feels good!! adds to the confidence of my tackle when in the field,, I'm the weak link in any thing sporting, fishing or shooting!!:roll_eyes:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Accuracy does not come from the $$$ that are spent on equipment, but the consistancy of the reloading process. Making sure all things are the same with the batch, The set of Lee scoops are a very good tool on a reloading bench. With ammo going up in price the way it has over the last year or so, it would not take long to recover the money spent on a reloading setup if ya shoot much. Not to mention the accuracy factor.

Greg
    The human is quite often the weak line in Hunting. Now in fishing the line proves to be the weak link a lot of times.:wink:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Greg,Yes the 788 was the one with the 9 locking lugs in the rear of the bolt. It was a little known fact that it also had one of the fastest lock times of any Remington production rifles,second only to the model 40 XB
    I have stripped the stocks of both my 788s and refinished with clear poly ,rubbed and waxed to a dull glow. The 223 has a beautiful cherrywood stock,and the 243 has a maple stock with a hint of fiddleback in places.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yessir,

Locktimes,,,, Can't remember the exact model, but, I owned at one time an Ithica SXS 16 ga, and when the model design came out, it was touted as having the fastest locktime of any production American made gun.. Post Flues model, sometime in the 30's-50's of mfg..
    A very overlooked aspect of accurate shooting firearms,, Good point

that's some of the cool stuff available to those that would like to "HotRod" their firearms..with a combination of faster springs, and lighter firing pins/ hammers,etc. Good stuff.. in combination with an exceptional trigger can make a "regular" gun perform like a champion..

Be it rifles or pistols,,,, :wink:

13. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I LOVE this line!!!!!
    A friends 25/06 NEF rifle groups like a decent shotgun with everything he put in it. That is how he got it, the guy who bought it could not get it to do much. Put a Cor-lokt factor load in it and it will put 5 rounds about under a quarter at 100yds. A younger guy was there and saw what he had for ammo and said something to the effect that Cor_lokt ammo was junk. The guy replied with "Don't say that to loud because the thousands of animals it kills every year may hear you".

OAL gauge tip.
    Instead of spending money on a gauge for every caliber I shoot I figured out how to easily do it for nothing and get GOOD repeatable results.
    1. Take a case fired in the gun you are checking and slightly oval the mouth by pressing it onto your reloading bench by hand. Careful as you only want it to hold the bullet slightly.
    2. Take a bullet from the ones you are going to use and color it completely with a black Sharpie.
    3. Slightly press the bullet into the mouth of the empty shell you made in step one. (You MUST do this for EVERY different bullet you load as the shapes are slightly different)
    4. Place the bullet/shell into the gun and close the bolt.
    5. Open the bolt and the shell and bullet should come out. IF the bullet sticks gently tap the butt stock on the floor and the bullet should fall out.
    6. Place the bullet on the shell if needed and press in to the shell to the depth of the scratches in the marker on the bullet and measure the OAL cartridge length.
    7. Verify the cartridge OAL from your load data and make sure you are at a longer OAL
    8. Subtract .015 - .020 from your OAL length and you have the OAL for that bullet in that chamber for maximum accuracy and you are going to be VERY VERY close to the measurements you can get with the tools without spending the money.
    Repeat the first few steps a few times and check you numbers to verify but if done correctly and carefully (AS any reloading step should be done) and your numbers will be easily repeatable.
    After I figured out how to do this one of the magazines printed an article about doing it but they cut a case mount on one side and resized it. I like using a cartridge fired in the chamber. That way I feel I get better information.
    I have 100yd targets with my 25-06 that are grouping 5 shots in at in under .30 center to center off of a clamped rest with hunting loads using this method!

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks Kip:: That is some good info. Things like this make for really custom ammo. Not only custom but custom to a particular chamber.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I have reloaded the Rem Core-Lokt 175 grm in 7mm quite a bit... The performance for the money is above standard..Accurate, and hard hitting
    The only ONE I ever have had a problem with was a 30 yd shot into an Elk,,,, Using the 175 core-lokt at 3000 fps, shooting out if a 24" gain twist custom BBL The bullet dissentegrated, and I only found part of the Copper jacket....
    But, the good news,,,, It killed the creature just fine.,,Heart,both lungs, liver were perforated, He went down Quick..
    Other than that, I've killed elk, mule deer, and antelope with that same bullet, most were pass-through's, and any re-covered looked like the pictures you see in the shooting rags!!

so, as you were implying,,,,"At what point in the animals DEATH did the Core-lokt fail"
    I love it,,,,:wink:
    I switched to the 160 Nosler Partition a bit later,,, I got the same accuracy, velocity of 3150 fps... so , a bit flatter out at longer ranges...and a very hard hitting round..

16. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    This is a thread that I will keep an eye on as I am planning on starting to do some reloading after the first of the year.

I plan on buying a lee classic turret press as I like the idea of being able to set up a different turret for each caliber I will be reloading.

My plans are not for extreme volumn reloading but to get back into making shooting an affordable pastime in todays economy. I plan on making "batches" one stage at a time and to start with anyway to weigh each charge even though slower it will be safer and more consitant as I learn.

I will be loading 44 mag, 45acp, .30-.30 winchester. I think it will add another very enjoyable and rewarding aspect to the sport of shooting as well as saving money to boot!

Not to mention having components and powder on hand will be nice if we ever encounter any shortages on being able to purchase factory loads.

So roll out the info as I like learning from people with past experience!

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Howdy Bill,
    Seems like there's a lot of fellows here know what they're talkin' about,,, They sure been makin' me think a bit,,,,
    But, I've been enjoyin' the heck out of it...:smile2:
    I'm not familiar with that press , but, maybe some others have experience with it...
    Jump in,,
    Greg

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Guys, if I set up a dedicated section for this discussion, would there be enough interest to keep it running for awhile. Most times when I set up a section and give it to someone to keep going, interest seems to wane in a very short time.

You can see for yourself what I mean if you look here:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229.

Let me know if you think it will be worth doing. I'd sure enough be interested in reading about all the knowlege you guys have.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,Welcome,I have been reloading for my 30-30 for as long as I've owned it. Speer makes a great 100 gr half jacket called a plinker. I dont crimp mine as they are very short ,and you have to load singly,But they are a great way to use the ole 30-30 for bunny hunting and introducing new shooters into the game.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,as much as I'd love to see it,I as you know have been posting reloading threads over the past few years, There never was as much intrest as I had hoped. I think we oughta take a wait and see attitude for the moment.