Reloading for .243

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by cuttingout69, Aug 13, 2006.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have reloaded for many a .243 over the years but never owned one that I hunted with. Either the person that I was loading for would bring me the load they wanted or we would build one together. My son purchased his first deer rifle a few months back and I will be loading for it.

What my question is, what are some of y'alls loads for the .243. I am looking for bullet and powder. Mainly bullet as I have had great success with H414 in years past with other .243’s. I am open for suggestions.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    IMR 4895 with a ballistic tip 85 grain nosiler bullet. I will have to ease out to the reloading room to get the powder charge. I tried them all and that one round is the best I have come up with.

Are you shooting a bolt action or auto. If auto the disregard that round . way to hot for an auto.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have reloaded for 16 different calibers.None was 243.Just remember that every firearm is different when it comes to powder,bullet weight and shape.Bolt action and for each separate firearm only. I like to take a permanent magic marker and draw a straight line from top to bottom of all my new brass.I trim to length only and always load the line to the top.This way I always have a shell fire formed to fit the chamber.This seems to help me obtain accuracy.peewee-williams

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I agree with bubbakat, I use IMR4895 and a 85 grain Speer.
    Bill

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I will look into the IMR 4895 as I have loaded it before. I prefer the ball/flake of the H 414 for measuring.

What is and automatic? Never in my life have I owned one for hunting deer :big_smile: .

You said the load is to hot. I have found that my best accuracy comes at 85-90% of the max. I have never shot max, or over the max in any of my charges. I feel that it works the weapon to hard, and if there ever was a failure, I would always know that I was under the limits.

How dose the 85 grain bullet perform on deer? What type of exit do you get? I prefer a small hole.

Thanks for your help

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It doesn't exit with a big hole but it is a heart stopper for a 24 calb bullet. It tears the tip off when it enters and expands real well. What I meant by hot it is to hot for a cycling semi auto. In my 788 Remington it leaves the barrel at around 3200 feet per sec. and at 100 yards can shoot a 1/2 in. group and have killed deer with it at 150 to 200 yards.

Any thing beyond that is just to far for a 24 calb weapon in my opinion.

I use 95% of the load out of the nosiler book. That nosiler ballistic tip is In my mind one of the best. I am a long time shooter of it and the only other one I would use is Tap ammo.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love the nosiler ballistic tip in every cal except the .308. I do not shoot them for deer in any of my rifles, but I would except the .308. I loaded some for a fellow in his 30-.06 and he lost three deer with them that season alone. I read that nosiler was having to do some mods to the bullet as it expanded to fast in the .308. I have never used them for anything but paper killing after in that cal. I have shoot them in .25, 27, and .308.

I had a 788 Rem in the .243 and never could get a load to work in it, so I sold it. I love the 788's though. I have .223 that is a tack driver. I have a buddy that has one that will stack 5 shoots in a 1/2'' square at 200 yards every time. I have the paper to prove it. I did it twice with his weapon. It is a shame the discontinued the 788, as it was out performing the 700 all the time. Wish they would bring it back. In 1978 you could get a brand new 788 in any of made cal for 65-78 dollars new in the box. That was the good old days ha. Thanks for you help.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am new at reloading but I have had pretty good luck with the sierra 100gr boat tail I think. One of the thimgs that went up in the fire was most of my reloading stuff.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    This is off the subject , any of you hand loaders know where I can get some H570 powder? It works well in my 264 win mag

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dale I have one pound left. You can not get it any more as they quite making in 1965-66 I think. I got mine from a man that had bought by the case. H570 is the slowest or was the slowest burning powder ever made. They used it in the .50BMG loads. I used it for my .25-06 for a while till I found out I had no speed. You can load a case to the top and never over load it as it has no CUP or now call PSI. However, H870 replaced the 570 as the slowest burning powder and in the .50BMG. I have used it also and it works okay. It is a ball powder and measures very well. Hope this helps.

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    You are right about it being slow. takes a large case and a long barrel to make it work.I load 73 grs under 140 gr slug, that is a compressed load.It is the old load worked up by outdoor life years ago. they calmed 3350 out of a 26 in barrel. all i know it will drop a elk at 450 yrds

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dale I don't know how we can get it to you but I have some 5010 that will fire that thing up for you. I use in my 7MM mag

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dale have you ever tried H4831 or IMR4831? They both work well in .25-06 and the .270win. I have used it for years. It is spherical powder and dose not measure worth a flip through and auto measure, but it sure is sweet bruing. It is one of the slower burning powder made today. It was orignally devolped for the mag. cases and has become one of the best powders for the mid range cases.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Thanks willard it dont take much powder now days. I only shoot a few rounds a year as I can't walk the mtns anymore. I will be at the nat next mo tho

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well Dale we will try no to forget it and bring it out of the reloading bldg and bring it along for yea I should have a pound or two left. I bought a 50 lb keg of that stuff and man have about tore my shoulder off from shooting different size loads with it.

16. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You old timers and you 50lbs kegs. That was back in the hay day of reloading. I can't say I wish I would have been there, cause I like be young now, but I sure wish I had yall knowledge. I know a lot and keep up with the new now, but there is nothing to replace the experencs you fellows have gained over the years. Maybe one of these day I will be there and some young whipper snapper will admire me as much as I do yall.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey let me say this I always keep an open mind and listen to the young whipper snappers even when they think I ain't:big_smile:

I have a son in law that is an avid shooter of all calibers and an avid reloader and to say he has some knowledge of would be an understatement,
    He and I have sat for hours at the range working up loads for several different calibers.
    I have an old 30-06 that iI load a load of 4064 for it and he has shot wooden pencil's at 300 yards with it consistently.
    Yes he was young at the time but he takes reloading and shooting at heart and I have pass on some info to him and when I pass on I will leave him all my weapons and reloading equipment to.

18. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    tony at one time I was loading for 243,264,270,308,30.06.7mm,8mm 25.06,338, 300weatherbe and 12 and 20ga. back then I would fire at least 300 rounds of rifle and 100 or more shotgun a week

19. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That is so cool. I learned to reload from a man who just turn 78 last week. He started loading with an old lee hammer loader. You held the die hit it with a hammer. The shell holder was nailed to a stump and you hammered the case off. He has old powder cans that date back to the 50's, as he through all the 40's powder cans away. He has so many wildcat dies on the shelf at his place. One of these days I hope he will sale it all to me. I doubt it tho. This old man wore out a Win modle 100. I mean wore it out. Broke the gas arms three times. The gun smith told him the last time he need to throw it away and start over. He then went to bolt actions. I have learned so much from him about reloading, hunting, trapping, and life in general. Thanks for all yall do.

20. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Tony

That last statement of your's comes mighty close to sucking up.

Fellas we are going to have to keep a closer eye on this "BOY". Ain't much telling where he may go now that he thinks he's made brownie points at more experianced folk.

Now that I've ragged ya some Tony glad to see ya posting here again.

I have decided that I need to find me a "GOOD" 270 bolt action. I don't want any of these new plastic stocked models. I am looking for an older wooden stocked Browning, Winchester, or Remington. Now just have to figure out which year models to stay away from and which ones I can afford.

Jesse