Reloading Equipment

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by billNpam, Dec 17, 2008.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been wanting to get into reloading for some time. The wife said go get what you want for XMAS and this is what I have decided on. But I will be totally honest I do not have a clue what to get. I know I will be reloading 30-06, 270(deer hunting) and 38 mainly. But I do alot of shotgun hunting (turkey, rabbit squirrel) also. Mainly 12 and 20 GA. So if you guys can tell me what to get, brands to stay away from and some receipes that work for you on these calibers I would appreciate it.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,I'm a big fan of Lee products,They are reliable and very affordable for the beginning reloader. Go to www.leeprecision.com and check out the 50th anniversery kit they are offering. For shotgun reloading,I have a MEC 600 jr been cranking out hunting loads for over 30 yrs with it. www.mec.com

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Here is a link to a great place to buy reloading equipment.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/
    I'm with Richard on Lee products. They do a great job and priced right for the hunter and occassinal target shooter.
    As for what you need:: I use a Lee Load-All for shotguns. I'm getting ready to buy the 50th anniversary challenger Kit for my metallic case reloading.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've been using Classic Lee Loader for years. I've reloaded 38/357, 22-250, 243, and 308 cartridges all with them. I have always got great service out of the Lee line of products. The reason I want the press type loader is the wife works third shift and the Classic lee loader is on the noisy side while she is sleeping through the day.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Don't forget to get carbide dies for the pistol calibers as it will make it much easier to reload.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have also as you know been looking at the Lee loaders. What is my holdup is deciding on whether to get a turret loader, or a breech loader. I want to be able to load pistol and rifle loads. I like the idea of a turret loader because of less adjusting ect, but the breech style is a very good prospect also. Help me guys to decide. Later Andy

7. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Lee makes good stuff as many of the companies do now with liability being what it is the biggest difference I see is with Lee you are not paying for the "Lee" logo on everything. I have RCBS single stage press and a Dillon Progressive that a friend got for a Christmas present from his parents, he gave it to me to "Keep it in the family" after his dad passed away as it was going to be a project for them to do and he lost heart in it.
    I keep him loaded and when he comes up from Florida we spend time reloading and as funny as it sounds we always seem to end up sitting in the reloading room having a few beers and BSing like we used to do with his dad.
    Both of these presses are great products and I would not trade them for ANYTHING. I was looking at the LEE tailgate kit for awhile. I am not sure if they even still make it but they are another nice peice.
    As for shotgun I have friends that have had the same results as Richard with the MEC. I have even seen them used for under $50 with extras.

For load information that is going to really depend on your gun. Each weapon seems like they like something a little different. You can easily find information online and be sure to get several printed books form the bullet and powder companies and compare data to make sure something is not a miss print. I have seen data from a bullet company differ from that of the powder company on the same round using the same bullet, case and primer. It all depends on the testing actions chamber that they tested the pressures in.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you have the time and patience,,, Gun shows and swap meets may get you into some real nicely priced gear...

I've picked up some different things on occasion, and it works just fine,, I got 2 Dillon Square Deal loaders complete with the calibers I use at one at about 1/2 price a few years back.. If it's a name brand, the company will still take care of you,

Picked up some Lee .30-06 dies this year for about $10.00, I think that's a good price. and it had the shell holder also..which I'm not sure if those were included with those dies in the set.

I have had and still use my original RCBS press I got in 1974,, it's the single stage model,, not as nice as the Rockchucker, but, I've seen both types around fairly cheap,,

For shotguns,, I have tried a bunch of them,, I use the Lee or Pacific, (can't remember) Load-All when and If I re-load those.. for regular shooting and quail, I can't reload as cheap as I can buy,, If I need some heavier loads, reloading is the option for me,, but, it's been awhile
    In my experience,unless stuff has been real abused, it'll keep on working..

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Andy
    This is my opinion:: A person would have to plan on shooting a lot of ammo to justify the extra cost of the turret press. For what shooting I do the breech lock system that Lee has will be great. Extra locking rings will pretty much if not completely aliminate the need of adjustment

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Great post, Im getting a setup after the first of the year. I want cheap but good so lees is in the lead so far. I dont need something to load 400-800 an hour.

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    FOR THE SHOTGUN YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE MEC 600 JR ive loaded on one for over 30 years and it still loads good after 1000,s of rounds ive seen them on ebay for 15.00 bucks or if you want to really crank the shells out go with hornady 366 automatic i got one last year and give the ole mec a rest shot is around 50 bucks a bag i heard so it aint cheap glad i stocked up last year

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, There's a bunch of different stuff out there... From what I'm hearing,, it ALL works.:big_smile:

IMO, if you shoot a bunch of pistol stuff,, get a progressive set-up, then you can shoot faster than you can reload,, when I started shooting pistols a lot, years ago,, I'd shoot 500-1000 rds per weekend, spent the evenings of the WEEK reloading,(and casting).. With a progressive machine, a couple hours or so,,,,, made sense to me..I gotta recommend Dillon,, King Cadillac of reloading equipment for me!!!

Centerfire rifle ammo, I don't shoot near the quantity, so, a standard set-up filled the bill for me,, I'm mainly after superior bullet performance, cost, and accuracy, not necessarily in that order.....
    If I shot a bunch of competition, varmits, or used rifle shooting for Therapy,,,, (pistols for me:roll_eyes:) I'd look into a caliber that was conducive to a progressive set-up..Military calibers, ,,etc.
    Otherwise, keep the saved money for components...They're getting expensive!!!!:confused2:
    The thing is,, to me,,,,, Just start doing it,, If your needs change, your equipment can also... If you buy too "Little" you'll have to spend more later, Kinda like our fishin' stuff, huh!!!:eek:oooh:
    Shotgun shells, hard for me to justify reloading them for the type of shooting I do.

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Lee does make good stuff. It's cheaper then the other stuff but it is still quality reloading equipment. I do not like thier powder thrower so I bought a RCBS powder measure. I have a Lee primer seater that I really like. My set up is a little of everything. Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady.

The most important thing you can buy is a load book. Have fun with it and ask as many questions as you can.

14. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I want to thank you all for the responses. I have learned a great deal from them. I think the first thing I need to do is read up on procedures on excactly how and what I need to do as I have never done this before. Then purchase my equipment.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think you are very wise in your thought. You should be able to find a wealth of knowledge on the WWW. or the public library.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill,Theres several books on EBAY in thier reloading equipment section, Modern reloading by Lee is a good one.

17. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I hope this can be posted:

First and most important: use carbide dies.
    tumble your brass for using dies.
    They will last a lifetime.

Here are some websites so prices can be compared.
    Powder and primers can be shipped as 1 package
    from most dealers. In state taxes will be applied.

www.wideners.com
    www.fmreloading.com
    www.midwayusa.com
    powdervalley
    natchezss
    midsouthshooterssupply
    graf&sons

18. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    I started reloading back in the mid 60's, mostly to save some money but I found that I used that savings to shoot more which is fine cause it made me a better shooter. My first press was a RCBS Jr. and I still use it today for a few calibers. I now use a Dillon 550B and it sure is nice to just change out a toolhead and go to another caliber in just a few minutes. Dillon has a lifetime, NO BS guarantee and they do stand behind it 100%. Lee and Rcbs have starter kits for the beginner that are priced reasonably and have most everything that you will need to get started. There is a website loaddata.com that has thousands of loads and articles that are informative. It isn't a free site but well worth the money. When you get started, eliminate any and all distractions that could break your concentration. Pay attention to detail and double check everything. Reloading is fun but you also don't want to blow up your prized firearms or injure yourself either. Good luck with whatever set up you choose and good shootin'.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    $134 for that 50th Annuversary kit? Am I reading that right? My buddy from the reloading store told me he could get me started for under $150, but I thought he was drunk. I know more money will be spent down the road, but if this is so, why do any of us buy factory ammo? That's about the price of 4 or 5 boxes of shells. I'm gonna get rolling as soon as my gas bill gets back to normal when it warms up. Can't wait!

20. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    If you check online, wideners.com, you can get the Lee ann. kit 90030 with 11 shell holders for 87. 1 cal. die set in carbide for about 23. to 30. plus s/h.
    What're you planning to reload?