Reloading Equipment

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Chris, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am interested in reloading all my shotgun and rifle shells. I have started a little bit of reasearch but I would like some input on what you think about reloading your own shells. It looks like that its going to take a little bit of money to get started too.

thanks
    chris

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Chris,I went through the same things when I started out.I found the cheap,simple hand,Lee Loaders and Lee equipment to be the cheapest.Seem to turn out stuff,just as good as my high price stuff of later years.Even when I got the high priced equipment,I still loved to use the cheap,old type hand loader.You can also take it with you,to the woods or range.Please check and trim your brass,when needed.Load to high pressures,and your brass may only be safe for 1 to 3 loadings.Low pressures,and it can last forever,if it is fired in the same chamber.MILITARY BRASS is thicker,and less powder can give you higher pressure.I never reloaded modern shotshell.I have reloaded old paper and brass 2 3/4 12 gauge with old hand loaders.peewee-williams

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Check with lee loading equipment for rifle and pistol reloading. They can be beat. They used to sell a kit that has everything you need to load metallic catridges except the dies. That is what I got and love it. I load 270 win,45,auto and 32 H&R magnum. I would recomend the carbide dies. They are worth the extra for them.

As far as shotgun shells The leee load all is a good inexpensive loader . Or if you want a progressive try the MEC grabber.

If you dont shot the shotgun much it is about as good to buy new shells. If you start reloading shotgun shells stick with Winchester AA , Remington STS hulls,or Fedral Gold medal hulls. They are the best. The other cheap types of hulls will cause you more problems than they are worth. Follow the loading guides to a T and you will have fun and safe ammo that will shoot as good or better than factory.

One other thing. It you go to your state trap shoot or a big sporting clays shoot alot of times the companies will have booths there selling their products. You can usually by the loading equipment a little cheaper there.

4. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    midwayusa.com is all you need to know in order to find stuff

I have the Lee hand loader. I'm new to it all but for a low volume shooter its perfect. Buy it and the dies for whichever guns you want to load, get a scale and all you have left to do is pick your bullet, powder, primer. Its alot of money for just a book but get a good reloading manual too (Hornady and Speer are good ones, but any are more than enough for us beginners.)

For shotguns, I inherited a single stage press. Its pretty simple. Find out what powder and what weight of shot charge you want....look that up in the manual and find what "charge bar" its and go to it. MEC presses are the industry standard until you get into the big wiz-bag presses (maybe there too, I've never looked into that high-end stuff)

One thing I've learned is that you will need SPACE in order to stay and keep organized. In reloading organization isn't just nice or convenient it is NEEDED if for no other reason than safety. 12gr of blue dot in a 41mag is fine and dandy...I don't want to know what 24gr does by accidentally losing track of where I am on the powder drops!:crying:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, if you haven't already, check out the websites of reloading equipment manufacturers, such as RCBS, and you will find a lot of helpful info. Safety is first and foremost, of course. When I first started loading, I taped a step-by-step process in front of my work station to be sure I did everything exactly by the book, and even today, if it has been several months since I last loaded ammo, I always review the cartridge dimensions, powder type and charge. I don't trust anything to memory.
    I happen to use RCBS equipment and like it, but there are a number of brands out there that will do the job just as well.
    Reloading is a lot of fun and can be relaxing. I do it for that reason. I don't do enough shooting these days to justify the initial expense, but I get a lot of pleasure from working up the loads that are accurate in my hunting rifles. In reality, there is a lot of excellent, affordable and accurate ammo on the market these days, such was not the case when I originally started handloading years ago.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Chris,
    Ive only been reloading for a couple years and only reload for my 06'. I use the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit, it comes with the "0" challenger frame press and everything except powder and dies to get started. It also came with the Lee reloading book for about 5 bucks more. I think I got started with everything for about 100 bucks. I bought it from Natchezz shooting sports catalog.

7. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    I've been reloading on the same RCBS Rockchucker press for 15 years, and it's still going strong, so I guess I'm kinda biased towards RCBS stuff, though I do use Redding dies. The main thing is to always follow the instructions, stay within recommended minimum and maximum limits, and think safety, safety, and more safety.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chris,what I would do is a careful evaluation of how much and what type of shooting I do.I started with a Lee loader and ended up with a Ponsness-Warren shotshell loader that would crank out cases of shells in a short time.Of course that became necessary because my wife and I were actively competing at the state level in skeet.I owned many Weatherby rifles and reloading them was a much cheaper option than buying factory ammo.RCBS is the Lowrance of reloading but there are other good companies out there.Ask yourself how many rounds of rifle and shotgun ammo do you shoot a year.The initial investment for good equipment can be high.If you arent shooting that many shells then very good factory ammo can be had for a reasonable price.Factory ammo today is 5 times better than it used to be 20 years ago and the gap closes every year with greater selection and options that were previously available only to reloaders.It will take a little serious math to see if the investment is worth it for the shooting you do.:)

9. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    If you are interested in shotgun loading I just listed a whole outfit on the BOC classified ads section. It won't last long and is a great outfit. Boog

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The first reloading I did was with a Lee shotgun shell reloader. It loaded one shell at a time. A buddy gave it to me... I was hooked, I then purchased a MEC and really got into shotgun shell reloading. A few years later I bought a RCBS Rockchucker reloading equipment and a Lee furnace for reloading 38 and 357. I sold the MEC last year but still reload and cast pistol bullets.
    I would recommend the MEC for shotgun but I have no experience in rifle shell reloading. The RCBS equipment works great with pistol reloading.

11. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    also check the price of the components to see if it is worth the trouble

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I started reloading before pistol ammo came into it's own. Beleive it or not a few years ago factory ammo wasn't that accurate. And you could easily load shells more accurate than factory. Not sure that is true any longer. But it's hard to beat the Lee equipment. Their carbide dies are excellent and the new crimping die lets you produce ammo as good as factory. The great thing is being able to taylor a load for your particular gun. I don't care for Lee's scale. The RCBS unit is much better. If you shoot something odd or not so popular, there is where reloading comes home. I have a fondness for the 41 Magnum, but at $25 a box, Ouch! And I much prefer to shoot a "reduced" load. Makes target shooting more fun. I think the most important thing is a good bench, workplace. Easy to make your own.
    Then all the big boys have reloading kits. Everything you need in one big shipment. I like the Lee and Lyman, but I warn you, it's addictive. Be safe and always use the manuals. Check then check again. Enjoy.

13. slickrick

slickrick New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Howdy, I'm a beginner to the world of reloads. I bought a Lee Progressive Kit, which is still sitting in the box. But I only have a 2 to 3ft work bench to put everything on it. It has a shelf on top and the main area is about 2X3 if that. I recon that it will have to do, cause Momma ain't going to let me have anymore room, (my wife) said until you get proficient at it this will do fine! Got any suggestion where I ought to mount this press?:roll_eyes:

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Slick if you are right handed, on the right corner facing your work area. If a lefty, on the left corner. If you are reloading for rifle you will need to stablize the bench as there is more torque involved than you might think. For pistol you may be OK. If you haven't checked out the Lee auto-prime you ought to. Priming properly is a common problem for beginners and this neat little tool is way cool. It's hard to get a "feel" for priming with the press, but with this hand tool you can feel it seat in the pocket. I prime my prepped cases by hand. A primer not seated properly and you got trouble. If you've got a case with a charge and a seated bullet crimped and a "high" primer it gets real interesting...use CCI primers. Can't use Federal in the auto-prime. Wear safety glasses. Don't store your primers and powders together. Smokeless powder is flamable, not explosive. And I do mean flamable. Take a small amount out in the back yard and sprinkle a trail like in the movies, wear safety glasses, and light it off with a fireplace match. Might want to wear a glove too! Anyway you'll get an idea of what flamable means. Don't let momma see you do it. But you will get a new appreciation for safety. Be safe, have fun. Start simple, then get fancy.
    Hope this helps.
    :big_smile:

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i thought i had replied to this one but here goes Ireload 223.243.30-30,7mm08 12ga,20ga andi did reload 410 till my dies got stolen but its alot of fun i dont think i save that much anymore with the added cost of hazmat on powder and primers but i like tailoring a load to suit each of my rifles and you cant usually get that from fac.ammomy friend and i tell each other I USED TO RELOAD TO SHOOT MORE NOW I SHOOT TO RELOAD MORE