Reloading and bullet wieghts?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    a friend of mine is getting into reloading and we were weighing the projectiles. it was noticeable that some of the projectiles weights were a little different than others. is that because there is a slight difference in the grade of projectiles. or is it just a bad batch. i know with shooting arrows, that there is a considerable difference in weight and straightness depending on what grade you buy. is this also true with projectiles.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've heard that ,I think maybe the weight stated on the box is an overall average weight of each,I don't think it makes that much difference in a hunting situation tho. But I know some benchrest shooters will weigh each case and each bullet to make all exactly the same for precise shooting.

3. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Yup there is variation. You step up in quality & price this diminishes by a pretty good margin. But like was stated in the prior post for hunting most of these variations are not going to big enough to matter.

Jeff

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks guys, thats kinda what i was thinking. i knew some guys that would weigh theirs until they got "x" amount the exact same. but they were precision shooter, that were shooting out at long ranges also. we are just doing it for fun right now and to save a little money in the long run.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I buy the bullets for my .22-.250 in bulk (2000) I weigh some of them to put aside to use when I go to the range with certain people. With bulk bullet, bulk brass I can shoot groups 1" or less off a bench. In the field it is about an inch and a half out to 120 yds. Yote's don't know the difference.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Barnes makes some pricey non lead bullets for wierdo states like California which doesn't like anything lead. I was looking for a bullet that would expand nicely under low 2200 fps velocity. I checked the reviews online at cabela's website. The Barnes bullets got miserable reviews. Bullet weights all over the place and non consistant accuracy by 3-5 inches at 100 yds. That's just plain unacceptable. I just as soon throw rocks at the target.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if we can find a good bullet to get a 1" group at 100yds then we would be satisfied for the time being. i gave him some nosler .30 cal Ballistic and he bought some .22 cal Hornady Ballistics. they should due for now i hope. what do you think?

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy,I've allways shot consistant groups using speer bullets in my .223 and 243. I like Sierra's for my 30-30, and my sons 7mm/08. Hornady may be better than they used to be,But I find very few folks here that like their performance.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ill pass that on, i have never used them. i know he said the factory loads his gun shot Hornady well, so we just used logic to pick or bullets. however this is a new ball game to us both for the most part, so i will be sure to tell him your advice before we load them up.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    do you all have a favorite type of powder for your rifle reloading??? i dont think he has purchased that yet, and i know i dont have any...

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use Nosler ballistic tips for hunting in my .270. I was using Winchester bronze point, but they quite making them.

12. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It all depends how far you take it, I like to go for the long shot and that takes precession loads. Weighting the bullets is part of it, setting the bullets off the lands at a depth that tights up the group. Powder wieght, case lenght, I uniform the primer pockets so the primer seats square. deburr the primer flash hole, oh there's more lol but with this prep I can get under 1" in groups , and that relates to a 5" group at 500 yds. So the tighter you can get the group the smaller it is at long range , !/2" 2.5" at 500 yds. So if you want to play with accuracy it takes a few toys , look up www.sinclairIntl.com

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No favorite powder in particular,Though I like H 380 because I have loads it works with in all the calibers I shoot. I rarely take shots beyond 200 yards because I can hunt them up for a closer shot,No need to airmail a shot to me. But if thats your thing so be it. I dont go to any great lengths to prep my cases ,But I consistantly get under 1" with both my 223 and 243 loads. The best advice I can give you is load ten rounds of a particular load and go to the range,Try a few till you find one your gun likes to shoot. This may mean trying several different bullets as well as powders.

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    What is it about a .243 that makes them fly so True. Of all my Encore barrels, I just love the 243. I only shoot at 100 yards to sight in and use Nosler Partitions and man o man do they fly true. Way better than the guy pulling the trigger.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some have seen this target,Jeremy,This is the results of some of my ,223 reloads.

Attached Files:

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Sierra Game King bullets and IMR 4350, and so far have had good results on paper and deer. I haven't experimented much yet with different components. Just one of those things you will have to play with until you find what's best for you. Powder selection was easy for me. Basically everybody everywhere confirmed that IMR 4350 was the best choice for what I want to do (with a few exceptions), but there are TONS on choices out there...and even more opinions about it. Just have fun and be safe!

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've had good luck with Hornady bullets, but I'm not a precision long range shooter. All of my shots are 300 yards or less. Like one poster said, there is a lot more involved than bullet weight. Head space makes a big difference, as does the crimp. For the best groups, I match my brass and make sure they are trimmed and re-sized the same. Just a little powder difference can make a big difference in group size, just as it does in a muzzle loader. I'm more interested in convenience than pin point accuracy, so I buy powder that will work in several calibers, not necessarily the very best for each caliber. There is a lot of trial and error involved so I always start with small batches of reloads. Load 5-10 and try them out, load 5-10 more and try them until you get acceptable groups. (Make sure you are use a very good rest while testing to get the human error to a minimum. I built a gun rest that holds the rifle really steady so I just have to touch the trigger.) My 30-06 advertises MOA accuracy, but I can almost always shoot 3/4 groups at 100 yards with it.

18. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Just be VERY VERY careful, someone I know that has reloaded for YEARS and shoots competition loaded H4350 instead of IMR 4350.
    For my long rifle cartridges I found that the IMR powder work well with Nosler bullets. The best thing is to look at the books for the factory ammo that your gun shoots best and the velocity. Then hit the reloading manuals for a like velocity for the bullets you have chosen. Start with the smallest load and load several rounds and step up the power a little and see how it dose.
    I load 5 rounds and color the case head with a Sharpie, go up .2-.3 tenths and color those with another color and so on until I get to around the max always staying under Max loads. When I shoot I keep the loads of one color on each target and see which load works best. I usually buy 2 boxes of a new bullet and use most of the first trying different loads.
    Also to save money look for powders that you can use on more than one caliber you are reloading. This way you can share the cost and buy a larger container.

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've used the Barnes X bullets (Solid Copper) in 7mm --160 Grain.. Loaded to a velocity of 3150 fps. Chronographed..

I've shot ,, an Elk at about 70 yds, and a Mule deer buck at about 200.. No problems.. One shot each.

3/4-1" @ 100 yds... Has worked VERY WELL for me..I like them the same as the Nosler 160 Partitions's...

We have a couple of hunting areas in AZ that they recommend/encourage hunters to use non lead projectiles, because of the CA condor...