Reloading, am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Just reloaded about 67 44mag shells last night. Of the 67 about 7 were unusable. Some of the bullets tore the brass about half way to the bottom of the shell. While a couple shells just got a nice dent in the side. I threw the bullets, brass and powder away that messed up. Ive never had this kind of waste reloading. I bought these reloaded from a gun show and step dad says it may just be bad brass that has weakened. Of my 30/06 Ive never had this happen.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian, just a shot in the dark without knowing more; but did you lube those cases as you would a rifle load? Almost all the dies for pistol are carbide, and don't need to be lubed, and in fact the outcome will be what you described if ya lube em, as it gums up the die set in total, and will tear the cases. What ya using, and how?

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,I have no experience in reloading pistol cartridges ,I had a similar thing happen once when crimping 30-30s tho ,I had the crimp setting too lhard and crushed a few till I got it right. Only thing I can think of is maybe the cases werent skived inside properly or the bullets were going in crooked during seating.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I did use resizing lube before resizing the cases. I also washed them in dish soap and dried them on a dehydrator. Im using Lee dies as well. Are these still okay to shoot?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The shells with dents might cause higher pressures in your gun,I would'nt use them myself. But if they are normal lookin they should be ok as long as they feed well.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian, don't use the bent ones. Also take your die set, remove the o rings, and use a good degreaser, I'd recommend brake cleaner or such and clean your whole die set. Spray or soak all the lube and soap out. Blow dry em off, and you can use a light oil or WD40 on the outside, but not the inside or tooling surfaces.
    Case cleaning needs to be a tumbler with media, or several mfgrs. make a solution to soak and then oven dry, but I like a tumbler with corn cob or walnut polishing media. I use corn cob with Dillion rapid polish 290 added. It's a dry process, that works well.
    I'd buy some new cases, which with moderate loads should go at least 5 times without even worrying bout case length. Just deburr and chamfer. Later you can get a case length trimmer as they stretch. You should be able to pick up cases for bout $15 a hundred. You've already got the rest of what you need. And Richard Lee's manual is a must, and will get you on the right track. It's a learning curve for all of us, enjoy it. Ya got a new hobby & a lil something to be proud of at the range. Be safe.
    :roll_eyes:

7. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Many thanks Gary.

Ive already thrown out the dented cases and powder that was in them. I think I even threw out the bullets. Sound like I need to read my Lee manual more often:sad2:. My next purchase is going to be a tumbler with media along with the case length gauges. Im also planning on upgrading my press to something a little faster, IM useing bare bones o press. Its fine for my 30/06 but for something Im likely to shoot 20-50 rounds at a time I might want to reload faster. I will definetely follow your advice with degreasing all my dies. BTW im using 1.5 cc's of Winchester 296 and 240 grain hp bullets.

Thanks again

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive reloaded my second batch of 44 mag shells. I followed what boots told me to the letter, besides the tumbler. I still havent sprung for that yet. I had no dents, no split cases, just easy loaded ammo. The whole no lube for carbide dies thing caught me off guard.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When you arder you a tumbler order the one that dillon has and order the small one. You will think they sent the big one when you get it.

I use a rock chucker to load special loads with and I use dillons AT500 for faster loading.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If the cases buckled and bent when you were seating the bullet, then you probably didn't have the case mouth flaired enough. If they split when you crimped them, then you had the crimp adjusted too tight. If the cases just split, then they were probably split before you loaded them and you didn't notice it till you got them seated. I've reloaded winchester, federal, starline, and other cases many MANY times without splits. Remington cases I can only get 2 to 4 loadings out of, depending on how hot the load is I'm shooting. Light target loads, I get alot of loadings out of. Full magnum loads, not as many. In the Remington brass, I can only get two or three magnum loadings out of them and 3 to 5 target loads. This is on pistol cases. I usually don't use Remington rifle brass because of the experience with the pistol brass.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had the Lyman Turbo Twin Pack 7631327 for a good many years now.I really like the strainer,small and large bowls that come with it.You can pull it up and the instructions for it on the Lyman site.You get 2 in one on the bowls.

I also found it cheaper than on the Lyman site by shopping around.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee