Released fish "spook" a hole?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bwanatony, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    On In-Fisherman TV last weekend, they released a big channel away from the hole they were fishing so it wouldn't spook the rest of the fish. (they were fishing for pan-sized fish)
    Do you all buy that?
    I've caught as many as 6 or 7 fish in one night from the same hole and released them all right on the spot.
    What's your theory?

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I think there is some truth to that theory Ive set up on tons of fish in the rivers before and when I released them over the fish the bite has shut down . But when I marked them and went upriver about 20 yards I had no problem with releasing and catching.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I guess on any given day it could go either way. I know one catfish guide who keeps them in a live well so as not to "Burn The Hole" as he calls it and releases them when he pulls up the anchor.
    On the other hand I have caught plenty of fish, some quite large from the same spot even though every fish was released immediately...W

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

I would agree with this post. The fish react differently at times. Sometimes it seems to bother them other times it doesn't.:lol:

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Well I believe it. I caught a channel cat last summer that told me when I released him he was going down and telling all his buddies that it was a trap and not to eat those corndogs, even though they love those dang corndogs.

6. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just dont care what anyone says, Fish talk..You let the right one go back in the same spot and he will tell the rest ofem.Had it happen to meny times so dont even try to tell me diferant!!!!:dribble: :dribble:

7. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I know that released fish have a effect on smaller schooling fish like sandbass, crappie,and perch.However you can still catch quite a few before they get spooked,and after a time if this is a regular feeding area your fishing, they will return.Then again I have caught a fish that was hooked less than an hour before-still had my hook and line hanging out of its mouth.I think its kind of like deer hunting-most of the time you couldn't get within 30yrds of a mature deer,but durring the rut they'll run right over you.Its about being in the right place at the right time,with the right bait.Get two of those right and it might matter,get all three and you'll be hav'n a fish fry.:smile2:

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    IMO If the baitfish are there, the cats will stay there.

In some of these case it could be that the baitfish moved further down the bank. If i'm anchored or tied up to a tree, I've always released my fish at the boat without any noticable effects. After all, I'm casting 20'-100' away from the boat in a lot of cases. Just my opinion.