Release Questions?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What kind of release do you use and do you hold it or free float it? I have a truball stinger and have been holding it. I think I need to let the strap do the holding.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Ozzy!! First of all the release I use is a Scott Silverhorn with a long spring trigger. After I attach the release to the string loop, I make a fist and draw the bow back. This keeps all fingers away from the trigger until I'm ready! Then I extend my index finger and wrap it around the trigger. I get the trigger into the 2nd crease or joint from the tip of my finger. The reason why I do this is because this allows me to use better back tension for the shot. Using only the tip of the index finger can cause trigger punching. There is more nerve endings at the tip of the finger, hence: more feeling of the trigger. This make the brain react to more of the shot and can cause bad habits! conscious taking over sub-conscious thinking!

Just like driving a car. Watch you hand(S) go back and forth. It's natural!
    Shooting the bow should be the same way. Natural! Never over think the shot. Repitition of the same thing. over and over again!!

I have a Carter Chocolate Addiction back tension release too. This is a thumb activated release. The index, middle and ring finger are used in conjunction for drawing the bow. Then the thumb is wrapped around the trigger and the same principal of shot mechanics is used. BACK TENSION.

Always draw the bow using your back muscles, never your arms. Overpowering on the draw will waste precious shot time and can cause misses. Use a draw weight your comfortable with and stick with it and work your way up!

Mark..

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bought a fletch hunter release years ago. Thru the strap away and had a friend that owned a saddle shop make me a strap for it.I've shot it for years without a problem of anykind. As far as holdin it, i don't. It's adjusted so all i have to do is squeeze the trigger.

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I too have a truball stinger, i place my index finger on the release. By that i meen on top of the trigger mechanism not the trigger, i just lay it flat just like im pointing at the target. Then when i come to full draw i wrap my index finger around the trigger.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I learned about keeping my fingers behind the release the hard way. Now that I have it back up and running its back to school. I appreciate your help and everyone else in the bowhunter forum. Thanks to everyone! Took me a bit to figure out the BACK TENSION part. When I first got this bow I couldnt even draw it, thought I was a wimp even tho I have a strong build. I was just using the wrong muscles, still gotta figure out if im in proper form. Well Ive only shot about 50 here and there, still need to lay it all down and build a plan. Patience, thats what Ive learned. NO BAD HABITS.:wink:

6. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Can't say it any better... The only difference is I made mine a hair trigger. the slightest pressure and that arrow was gone. I kept my finger BEHIND the trigger keeping back pressure on it until I was ready to release, then and only then would my finger go forward of the trigger.

A lot of people disagreed with my way, but it fit ME... I was having trouble with it set to hard pull, so I did it my way. I also switched from a ball bearing to a mouth type release, but again, that was just my prefference.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Whatever you decide to use I'd strongly suggest using a Knock loop..

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

That I do have, I actually did my own on the new string. I have seen these bolt on nock loops, LOL. What are these? Ive got a few shots off and its stable.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I think you might be talking about the Ultra-Nok, which is made of aluminum. I used one for a couple of years and really liked it. The only setback I seen, was excessive wear on the jaws of the release. I truly recommend the use of a string loop for release usage. It can be lengthened of shortened to fit your draw length and anchor point. The nice thing also about a string loop is if your peep sight twists, you can slightly twist the string loop to get the peep sight back to were it belongs. Uusally after 100 shots the string is broke in enough to have minimal twist in the string, even though it depends on what material the string is made of. Some are made of materials for no twist, speed and durability.

Mark..

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I saw them ultra -nocks and thought those tiny screws would pop out on a draw, just didnt look safe to me.