Relax then Relax more! Flathead Catfish will come!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Aug 2, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been reading alot of posts about people getting frustrated when flathead fishing. Alot are trying to learn for the first time and are used to catching channels on a consistant basis. Flats take a different type of patience, and even when you think you are patient.... You need to be more patient to learn! Flatheads are the most unpredictable fish I have ever targeted. Just cause you didn't do well one night, don't mean they weren't there, or it's bad area! Give a good looking stretch several nights, changing up your approach, before marking it off as not productive! Goodluck......rollo

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Absolutely correct! I guess I was just lucky to get patience of steele. :)

Honestly, anymore I can't stand to catch Channels. I would rather sit all night and catch only 1 #5 Flat, as compared to catching 10 Channels. They just bore me. Unfortunately, where I live, I have to drive a bit to find waters that hold flatties.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes i feel the same way all i want to catch is flats but right now i wouldnt care if it was a carp ive been skunked last 7 times ive been on the water

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with you. I have fished some spots of the river and been skunked one night then went back the next and caught several fish. Same thing with hunting:eek:oooh:

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I try and have patience Rollo, but sometimes its just plain frustrating :smile2:, I think the flats up this way can be allergic to shad, especially the big ones. But if I get frustrated or tired of flat hunting I turn to the Blues....they usually are always hungry and don't give me fits trying to get a solid hook up, they usually let you know when they are hungry and around....with a friendly slam of the rod in the holder and drag peeling :smile2:

6. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

couldnt agree more... worked for me!

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep.i always tell myself that i am out not only to catch fish but to also relax and enjoy the peace and quiet and solitude.which i do that,but i enjoy catching fish more...time flies by better if your not hovering over your poles waiting like a hawk waiting for a rabbit to pop out of a hole.

8. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT!! One guy in particular makes a lot negative and depressing posts.
    If you want to catch a fish, you have to spend time on the water, not on the computer. If your tactics are not producing, then try something different. There is a lot of information on this site that I'm sure is not being used. I believe that some guys are stuck in a rut and not trying to get out of it! Being versatile is always a huge advantage.
    Last year I tried some new tactics and discovered something that really works for me. This year has been my best ever. My first trip out this year was May 26th. I've had 65 flats in my boat this year with 13 of them between 30 and 52 pounds. This tactic worked great until the second week of July. After two uneventful trips it hit me that something needed to change. I changed tactics and started catching fish again.
    The best advice that I know to give is this.
    Don't give up....keep trying....don't be afraid to change!

9. TheFlatheadWhisperer

TheFlatheadWhisperer New Member

State:
    ohio
    you nailed that one.:confused2:

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    dt

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good thread, I only wish I had a dollar for every nap I have taken while fishing. :smile2: A bad day fishing beats a good day at work anytime.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good thread Rollo! I've done pretty decent with numbers this year, over 50 Flats but not done well at all for size. None over 11lbs for me. Between me and larry we've boated well over 100 Flats on his boat this year but the biggest was his 13 1/2lber. Not gonna give up, I know their out there, just gotta hit it at the right time!:wink::cool2:

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Slow time is better then down time. I'd rather be fishing an to get the lines wet then sitting at home. Seen alot of hours this year without a bite or catch. Greatest thing about it all are the conversations you have with a friend if you bring one.

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    when i go take one pole with liver for channel cats and one pole with bluegills for shovelheads trust me i get more action with the channels but when the shovelhead hit it is on rick

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bottom line is, you gotta be on the water to catch fish guys! Before I was married I caught more than I do now. But, its like anything... Pay your dues and time to the sport, to be rewarded! :wink: rollo

16. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know what you mean by changing up!! we only had live gills last weekend and fished them half the night with nothing! decided to cut one up and within one minute caught a 12 lber.!! caught a couple more under that. within a hour we caught 3 flats after switching to cut then got rained out!! i'm thinking thier a little lazy after the spawn and don't want to work to hard for thier meal! the bigger one was pretty banged up!!

17. catangler53

catangler53 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea hes right i fished the same spot for three night and each night i used different baits and finally i had what they wanted and i slayed them! So just wait and try different baits

18. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I see people talking about constantly moving if there isn't any action but on a small pressured river, there isn't always a lot to move to. So I sit. I sure haven't caught the numbers other people have but you are where you are and sometimes you make do.

I caught a couple of 20's from the bank last year and that was it. I think I was there 4-5 hours the first night and 3-4 the second. It wasn't my first trip of the year or the tenth.

There are a lot of posts with impatient beginners but they're trying to start flatheading in july. Go figure. It takes more than a few hours/weeks/years to figure out a pattern.

19. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep,ya gotta be patient fish for flatheads.I equate it to a lot like bow hunting.You've seem him,ya know he is there --but where.It might be 10 minutes or three days-you just got to hang in there.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Deer hunting and flathead fishing are very similar in results! If you don't spend your time in his terrain, chances of you having an encounter greatly decrease! Good response! rollo