Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by WhiskerWayne, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I read in the paper last Sunday about people using Rainbow trout for Striper bait, I also read on these forums that Crappie are great Flat head bait.

I can't seem to find anything in the Oklahoma fishing rules that says if gamefish can be used as bait. I know in other states it is illegal to use them, and it states it clearly in the regulation booklets.

The main reason I ask is that I catch a lot of bait size crappie when I am catching bluegills for bait, and if the law allows, I will start keeping them in the bait tank.

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    The way I understand it is that if you catch em on a rod n reel then you can use em for bait, but if you catch em in a cast net you've gotta turn em back.

3. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Thats what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    In Tennessee they must be legal size. i.e. crappie -10 inches.

5. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Not a problem here, no state slot limit on Crappie in Oklahoma. I am sure some lakes have limits, but not where I fish.

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fourwinds is correct regarding catching crappie and using them for bait in Okla.

catman george

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Sam, as long as the fish is legally caught, you can do whatever you want with it.

Just remember to stay within length/limit laws that is applicable.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Who gives a rats arse about the legal size limit in Tn. He's asking a law that's pertaining to Ok, not Tn.

9. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Thanks for the conformations guys.

I will give a full report on Crappie as bait after a couple weeks of use.

10. redneck cowboy

redneck cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A game ranger informed me that it is legal to use gamefish (crappie, perch, bass, etc,) for bait as long it is caught legally on a rod and reel. It is a definite no-no to catch them in a net, $196 for each gamefish in your posession. In my experience don't even have them in your posession if your using a net although you may have caught them legally on a rod and reel, as its your word against the rangers.

Note: remeber length/ possession limts!!

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I also read the article about using the rainbow trout for bait. I have no problems with this, if it is done in accordance with the regulations. The point I questioned in the article was the guide stated he purchased the trout in Arkansas and transported them to Oklahoma for bait. Seems as though the law says you cannot introduce fish from one body of water into another, and then this also dealt with crossing a state line. What the heck, guess if the wardens or state agencies can't get him on basis of a printed story, he is good to go. Don't make it right though.

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AWSHUCKS- It is my understanding that when the trout are stocked in the river the guide buys the trout from the supplier on site at the river.

catman george

13. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    dont forget useing crappie as bait u have to count the crappie as part of ur daily catch for what ever your fishing for may it be flat heads blues or what not an crappie is the best flattie bait u can get gomez the ranger below keystone dam told me about the must count in ur daily catch

14. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Thats a good point, thanks.

15. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    It should be easy for a game warden to see the crappie were caught on rod n reel if he looks at em closely because their mouths tear easy when they're caught. A lot of folks refer to em as 'paper-mouths' because of that. Also, there's no statewide size limit for crappie in Oklahoma. Local somewhere maybe.

A camera might provide some good proof that you caught em on rod n reel if you needed to show it to some judge instead of paying $196 each times say just 10 crappie.

I think that game warden below Keystone is wrong. Crappie count as crappie and nothing else. You're allowed 37 crappie a day and 15 channels or blues (combined). If you go out and catch 37 crappie to use as bait for blues and those crappie counted as blues once you caught that first blue then you'd be over the limit right then just because of your crappie count. Crappie are crappie even if it came down to a judge explaining it to the game warden as far as I'm concerned because I've never seen anything like that in the regulations.

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Exactly what i thought Dave. That makes no sense whatsoever.

17. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma

I misread what he wrote. I thought he meant the Crappie I used for bait counted against my daily Crappie limit.. which does make sense.

I have never heard of one type of fish (Say, Crappie) counting against the number of other types I keep (Like Channel Cat's).

If the Cat limit is 5, and the crappie limit is 35, then I can keep 5 cats and 35 crappie.

18. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Well I don't know if he misunderstood what the game warden said, or the game warden didn't explain it clearly and correctly, or the game warden was just misinformed himself. As I said I've never read anything like that in the regulations.

In Oklahoma you're allowed a limit of 37 crappie a day (black & white combined), and a limit of 15 channels and/or blues a day (combined) per person. There is no statewide size limit on these fish although local restrictions may be in place somewhere.

A 'day' is considered from midnight to midnight. But don't go out to the lake or river and fish all night till the break of dawn thinking that you can keep 2 days limit, because you're still legally allowed only a 1 day limit in the field.

19. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma

Thats why I buy my wife a license and take her with me, just in case the biting is a bit over my daily limit. . . :wink:

20. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    That'll work, lol