Regulations on Goldfish for Catfish Bait in North Carolina waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by dwreel, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Is it legal to bring goldfish for bait in NC lakes? Pet smart has some nice 1 1/2 -2" for .25 @.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes as far as I know it is.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have been told by 2 wardens it is illegal.
    What most of us are calling goldfish we fish with in North Carolina is actaully named a toughie or orange toughie.
    It appears to me to be a cross between a minnow or shad roach and a gold fish or species of carp.
    Some baitshops carry the toughie but as I said we along with the baitshops call them goldfish. In reality they aren't a goldfish and perfectly legal in all the bodies of water I fish in.

What part of Carolina you in Dick?

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I'm in Southern Pines, NC. Have fished for bass mostly, but after a 3 day trip to Santee with friends a couple of years ago, I've been leaning towards cattin more and more. We had some good catches on the diversion canal. I got 2 blues between 20 and 25#. Lots of smaller meat fish also.

My boat is a SeaPro DC17 with a Johnson 130hp motor. Not a great cat boat, fiberglass and all, but it works long as I stay away from rock infested waters. I'd like to fish Blett Falls, but heard fiberglass is a real no-no there. Have bank fished a couple of times there and some of the rocks/bolders were bigger than a VW. I learned to go SLOW at Santee around the forest. A friend knocked his tranducer off one day and we never saw or felt the stump.

If gas prices ever get back to pre Katrina $ and my stocks get back where they were early last year, I'm gonna be looking for some kitties real regular.

I'm retired and live alone since wife passed away back in 1998 so I have a lot of time to devote to fishing. Just gotta watch the $$$$. But then, don't we all in one way or the other??

Haven,t had any luck finding a good catfishing buddy locally, so I'm winging it on my own.

5. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    They are legal to use. However, I would use Bream instead. Seem to work better and are free.

6. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    They are legal to use (I have a friend who is a game warden, and I emailed the wildlife commision about it too), but it is illegal to release them into public waters. So, don't pour your leftovers in the lake or river. In case you didn't know, bream are also legal to use as long as they have been caught on a hook and line. They cannot be caught with a net or trap and used for bait. I had several people try to tell me it was illegal to use bream and goldfish so I emailed the wildlife commission about it last year. That's what they said.

7. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Since we're on the subject, kinda, I know that baitshops on lake norman sell small rainbow trout for striper bait. Does anyone have any experience using them for cats, either live or cutbait?

8. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    i have used them several times cut and whole they work pretty good huntin

blues:cool: