Regulations for Catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kennylee, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Catfishing in your state; If you could have it your way, what would you change in the Catfishing Regs. in your state?

In Missouri catfish are designated as sport fish and there are regulations for fishing them. (These are the very general regs., and there are some exceptions)

Daily Limits: 10 channel cat, 5 blue cat, and 5 flathead cat.

Fishing Methods: rod & reel, trotline, limb line, throw line, bank line and jug line (all free floating jugs must be under the owners immediate supervision). All devices must be labeled with the owners info, except 2 rods and reels.

Number of Hooks: 33 hooks per fishermen, in any combination of the above methods.

I feel these regulations are reasonable and have no problem with any of them.

So tell us what you would change in your state.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with you. I like our regs. I think they work well. There's alot of places with special regulations, and I am in agreement with that as well. I would go along with a length restriction without argument, but at the same time, I wouldn't advocate it because I don't think our system is broke. If it ain't broke, don't fix it imo. I think there will be good fishin' for generations to come.

If I lived in a state with little or no regulations on catfish, mainly creel limits, I would throw a fit.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alabama is so for behind they justn got the 34" rule in ,But you can still load uo your pick up full , this is where things need to be changed

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    the texas regs are pretty good however now in all texas lakes it is a 2 rod limit which really makes it hard to experiment with many baits at once

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well in illinois we have 0 now.

if it were totally up to me.

heres what i would do. channel cats. min length 12" 10 creel per day.

flathead. 12" min length. 5 per day with only 2 over 40"

bluecatfish. 12" min length. 10 per day with only 2 over 32"

of coures there are site specific regs that over throw these of coure. (example/ powerton lake pekin has a 6 per day on blues) but this would be statewide. only my thoughts. and some may not like this. just as i wouldnt support the only one over 32 rule. but i think even with a good fishery for channels and flatheads this would help boost good trophy and eatery fishing.

we do have a two pole limit. and a 50 hook total for other methods.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ours aint too bad sucks having to pay for the 3rd rod because i like using at least 3. id like to see no regs on bait even though ks is pretty reasonable on that one. a release fish over 30'' or so rule could be interesting to try for a while.

7. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok on my previous post i was mistaken its 2 rod limit on community lakes but not the lakes most of us fish in sorry about that

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The only thing I don't agrre with in Pennsylvania is that you can't use live carp or goldfish for bait.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    In Ohio:

Channel: limit of 6 per day in lakes under 700 acres, otherwise no limit. Only one over 28" per day.

Flathead: no limit, only one over 35" per day.

I would like to see a minimum size also, say 18".

And do away with trot lines, bush lines, jugs, etc. Only rod and reel.

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    in missouri

i would like to see only 1 big fish or no big fish kept from truman dam to 65 hwy bridge thats around 3 miles .

what length would that be im not sure what would be right i say what ever a 15 to 20 lber would be .

its easy pickens in the spring on the big ones in this area .

i know im gonna catch flack for saying this but it is honestly what i think is right .

11. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Scotty, I thought there is a 1 fish over 24 inches reg. on those waters below Truman's dam. Thats the only lenght limit for cats in the state, and fish under 24 inches is not much of a cat, in my opinion.

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I like TX. regs we can have 100 hooks and keep 25 fish per day, only 5 being flathead. Minimum length is 12 inches and for flathead 18 inches.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In Central and eastern Pennsylvania, there are no size/creel limits on flathead catfish. Flathead catfish are deemed invasive in this side of the state so it is reccommended by the Boat and Fish Commission to not releasing ANY flathead catfish.

14. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks for the input guys, I really thought more folks were interested in this subject, guess I was wrong.

p.s Cats4uandme, the funny thing is when I go catfishing I go to Illinois not because I can keep more fish, but because I catch more fish, go figure.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    arkansas 10 fish limit except on arkansas river and mississippi river you can have 20 if 10 are channels under 16 inches.only regs.i would like to see is only one held rod and reel on lakes under 500 acres.and would like to see any cats over 30 inches have to be returned to the lake.30 inch rule to apply only to lakes under 500 acres.

16. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In Minnesota, the posession limit is five (channels and flatheads), either or combined. Only one can be over 24". I have no problem with that. No loading up the truck with cats, no overharvesting of the bigguns, but it's enough for a couple meals.

Can't use trotlines, jugs, or any method other than rod and reel. I guess I don't have a problem with that, though sometimes I'd love to run a trotline again, like I did with Grandpa back in Nebraska.

We have a one line limit. I'd love to change that to two. It's tough to experiment with baits with only one rod... But the walleye fishermen get their expensive little panties in a knot whenever that's mentioned.

I'd also like to be able to use bluegills for bait, and bullheads over 7". But the bluegill fishermen get all worked up when that's mentioned (but they'll complain all day about stunted panfish in their lakes... sheesh...).

Cats just don't get much respect up this way. It's all about the almighty walleye. But the restrictive laws we have do seem to work, as there are a ton of big kitties here.

17. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thanks Ben, one pole thats rough dang walleye fishermen.