Regular Spinning Rod guides vs Heavy duty?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Mar 25, 2006.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Just looking for some opinions. Im looking at 12' ft. surf rods for maximum casting distance. Ive got it narrowed down to 2 different rods. Both are 12' , 2-piece, MH action Spinning Surf rods. One has the regular big guides that regularly come on surf rods, the other has the heavy duty stainless guides like the ones that come on baitcast rods or heavy duty snaggin rods. My question to you all is which one is going to give me the greater casting distance?:)

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would think the big guides would be better..I hate stainless steel giudes.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Im going to bump this. Come on fellas there has to be some other spinning rod guys out there that know what Im talking about. :0a35:

4. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Well I can tell you that I don't like stainless guides either. I don't think they are as smooth as the other type also with allot of use the stainless can get a grove in them from the line "not good". The Fuji guides are designed for smooth casting and retrieving they have a very hard material in the guide insert. And here is some advise that I use myself buy the best that you can afford, hope this helps:)

5. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I have only two spinning outfits that I use for catfishing and the longest is 8'. At this time the waters I fish don't require a longer rod but regardless, I would skip the stainless guides. My experience is that using heavier line you will sonner that later be replacing the stainless guides.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Without question you will cast way further with the large guides. The key factor is the reel spool vs. the first 2 guide sizes. If you have a large spinning reel you need large guides to match. I have replaced many rod guides from levelwind reel rods to spinning rod guides because I like the action on the rod. When you cast with small guides the line has to billow back to a small diamiter which shortens your cast. It's unbelievable how far a spinning rod can cast when properly matched to the reel. Check out the Shamino Bait-runner reels for your spinning reels, you get the baitrunner lever which is simular to the clicker on a levelwind except it works even better because half a turn of the handle your back to the main fightin drag. The levelwind you have to turn the clicker off and tighten the drag. Not to mention a properly rigged spinning outfit will out cast any levelwind setup. I use both but when you can get away with it use the spinning rig. Levelwinds can handle the heavy lead better like in saltwater. The spinnning rig tend to twist the line when loaded with heavy lead. Fishing for flats with 2 -6 ounce lead the spinning works great but again the baitrunner is a MUST!!!

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have 2- Shimano Baitrunner 6500's, 1 of them on a 9 ft. Catmaxx and the other one on a 9' Quantum Big Cat. Ive got both of the baitrunners spooled with 100 lb. power pro. I dont get a very long cast out of them. I think part of the problem is that the 100 lb. power pro is real heavy. The other part is that 9' rods wont sling it out there as far as 12' rods. Im going to be switching to 50 lb. power pro, and Ill be getting two cheap but very reliable and powerful American Spirit 12' spinning rods. Im hoping this will increase my casting distance by 20 yards at least. Thoughts anyone?

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Check out Tsunami rods, I have Tsunami heavy boat rods but from what I hear, their long casting and spinning rods are really good also.

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Power Pro also has no memory which limits your casting, very strong line and I do use it in some structured areas but prefer mono good mono. Maxima Ultra Green is my favorite. A stiff rod with low memory line doesn't allow for a sling shot effect. When fighting a fast fish like salmon or steelhead you want memory because when the fish shakes his head and turn towards you the memory picks up the slack and doesn't allow the fish to throw the hook. I do believe in powerpro and it's ability to turn the rock over strong a$$ stuff. For casting far to the spot go with Maxima.

10. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    it is not how far you cast it were you cast

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    To get where I want to cast, Its how far I cast. A certain spot on the river , where I KNOW the cats are holding , will be inaccessible by shore in about a month , when the water comes up. The only way to get my bait to this spot is going to be about a 120 yard cast. :0a26:

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    From what I've read alot of the poles used for competion are around the 11-12 ft rods. In the past the large were used and I think they are a must for the larger Surf Spin Reels. The old steel guides are fine but would use the new tips. Just how many time are you going to cast it plz, hmmmm?

Its the Lure Weight that I'd keep in mind. Most 3-8oz rods have a sweet spot of about 6 oz where they work the best.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ill be casting it once every 15-30 min. if no bites , to check my bait. Ill be using them all spring and summer. Since Ive started this thread , Ive made up my mind. Im going to go with 2 - 12 ft' Ugly Stik Big Water Spinning Rods. I believe they are only made in heavy action. Thats fine , just need bigger rods , to lob the bait out there further. Thanks for all the help everyone. :)

14. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Keith, I found a 10' Ugly that had a light tip with major backbone for launching. It's tip was lighter than the 9' I have. I fish Salmon in the NW and from a pier casting ability is everything. You must be able to reach the fish. Crack the whip!!!

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Interestingly enough several years ago a study was done on guide size relating to casting distance for spinning rods.Originally it was thought that the larger guides particularly the first guide aided distance.What was found is that the larger ring allowed line slap against the rod which REDUCED distance.So they developed a folding first guide with a small diameter silicon carbide insert which held the line off the rod and reduced the reel rings down quickly thus eliminating rod slap in all the rest of the guides.They also determined that reducing the size of the reel spool from the classic giant spinning reels down to about medium helped also.Things are not always as they seem.:)

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jim , I would be very interested in seeing this study. Do you have a link to it, or know where I can read it?