Regular Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by solomon, May 24, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Hey guys, I've ran my new Tohatsu 40 about 20 hours now, and boy do I like it. It runs like a dream. In fact Sunday, a friend and I went to the gulf and speck fished. We ran 26 miles on 3 gallons of gas. Makes you feel good when you spend more on lunch and ice and ice chest contents:roll_eyes: than you do on gas. My question is, what do I need to do now as far as maintenace on the engine? How often should I do this maintenance? Should I take it to the dealer or is it a few simple things? Thanks in advance.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Is it a 2 stroke or a four stroke. If its a four stroke it should say in the manual when you should change the oil. My new 75 Merc said to change the oil between the first 10-20 hrs then its on a 100hr schedule. If its a 2 stroke it shouldn't need anything in a long while, maybe lower unit change after 100hrs or so, and plugs every couple years. It just depends on how much you run it.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Soloman don't mean to sound like a smart A-- but I would read that owners manual from cover to cover at least three times.You will need to make sure you flush the engine every time you use it in saltwater and that includes hosing it down out side also.There is a product called Salt Away that I highly recommend washing your engine with.Twice a year I would change the lower unit oil and use synthethic Lubrimatic or any other Syn when you change.When you do the lower unit pull the prop and grease the shaft particularly if you go in saltwater.Check the trim and tilt reservoir and keep it topped off if you have PT&T.Change plugs annually and be sure and use a good gas stabilizer all the time.PRI-G is the best in my opinion and it also reduces carbon build-up.If you have a fuel water separating filter change it annually.After all that go to the boat maint section on here and read all the other posts on this subject because I'm sure I have forgotten something.Good Luck with boat engines is just like "Good Luck" in sports,usually the result of hard work.:smile2: :big_smile:The better you maintain it the better "Luck" you will have.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm In Agreement With Jim Again, On This One. I use Synthetic Engine Oil And Lower Unit Gear Oil.

I like A Fuel Supplement Made By Lucas, It Has Stabilizer In It Along With Injector Cleaners & Upper Cylinder Lubricant. There Is A Product That Is Made Locally Here, Called "Tef-Gel". It Is Designed As An Anti-Sieze For Assembling Parts & Fasteners. IMHO, It's far Better Than Grease For It's Intended Pourpose.

HTH, Elliot

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    thanks for the replies guys. I've only took it in saltwater twice, and both times I've flushed the engine for 10-15 minutes, and washed it off with the hose real good. Some other tips there I'll start doing though. Thanks.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You guys covered that pretty well. If there's something you don't understand about the owners manual, get back here.