Regular "J" Hooks For Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 29, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What would be a good size of regular old generic "j" style hooks for carp, say up to 20#'s? The wife wants to fish Sat & we will have the kids (all 3) so I need to prob rig most of our rods up for carp fishing.

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    when i had a place that i used to go and fish for them, i used relatively small treble hooks with my homemade doughballs. My personal best was 18# and it's mouth was not that big...i would guess a 2-3 catfish has a mouth as big...lol

So you don't need a very large hook...i would probably stay under a 1/0....maybe something like a 6 or 8...jmo

cyas
    rc

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, use a small trebble and a wheatie ball the size of a marble.

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Small trebles are good with doughballs. I use #4 with corn.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Letcher County..... I think I have relatives there. Is Blackie, KY there or nerby? If not Blackie, is Inez, KY close?

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use a #6 to #2 j-hook for my "general" fishing, which includes carp.

J-hooks for cats start at 1/0 and go to 4/0 and for panfish I usually use #8 or #10.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    #6 or #8 with a long shank Bryan. Just enough sinker to get it out and a 12" leader. Use a half of a night crawler or less. Or if you can get the kids to catch them, crawdad tail meat. Then hang on! lol