Regrets? I've had a few...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KATMANDETTE, Apr 29, 2007.

1. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    I just hit the BIG 4-0 and I've been doing a lot of pondering the past.....trying to figure out my biggest regret so far.....and whether I should or could fix it.....

Retirees, I see you are out there. You have more time to ponder this than me. Therefore, what's your biggest regret, and is it too late to fix it?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am not a retiree, but have made ALOT of mistakes so far. Fix the ones that you can, but don't beat yourself up over the things that you can't change. You gotta forgive yourself, and not be miserable. Life is too short to dwell on your mistakes.JMHO. Just try to learn to do better in the future, and not repeat the same mistakes over and over and over like some ppl do.

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Happy Birthday, Mikey :smile2:

4. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    IMHO, pondering what may have been will make you old before your time. If you have made mistakes, learn from them, it's called experince;

Wisdom comes from good judgement over time.
    Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from.... bad judgement

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    the rest of that song says it all....I did it MY way. :lol:

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    My biggest life mistake is done and over with and theres nothing I can do about it but live with with.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Mikey.....to quote another song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy". I hit the big 4-0 four years ago and threw all the regrets out the window. Life is TOO short to live in the past sis. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and that the year ahead brings much happiness your way. "Happy birthday to you.....happy birthday to you.....happy birthday dear Mikey......happy birthday to you!"

8. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've retired twice (military & civilian). I think it's time for #3. My greatest regret at this point is that I didn't stay retired the first time. I've come to realize that lost time with family and friends can never be recovered.

Right now I'm regretting that I'm not closer to Florida.:wink:
    Happy Birthday, KAT!!

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Like Catgirl I hit the 40 mark 4 years ago. I also did the life review thing and what would I have changed and what do I regret the most! I made a lot of mistakes and a few where very painful but I learned from them and hope to be a better person from what I learned. We can't change the past but we can be better in the future. I quit worrying about the things I can't change now but try to be the best person I can each and every day!:smile2:

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not retired yet (although the "big 4-0" is several years behind me now), but I'll chime in anyway.

Off hand, the only regrets I can think of involve things that I have said in anger or the heat of the moment, that can never be erased. I regret them because they caused pain to someome I love.

I don't regret any life decisions. No point. The past is past, can't change it now.

Well, there was that sweet young lady in college... What if I had let her know what that pair of torn jeans did to me? Wonder if I could have gotten to know her better?...

See, but then maybe I would not have become involved with my wife and not had my son, and that would not be OK. I guess the desire to change the past involves dissatisfaction with the present. My life is not perfect, but I love my wife and son (although he's a real PITA at times) and would not want to lose either of them for the world.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've got a few regrets but theres no sense fretting over them. For few reasons.

1. Im married now

2. (for the ones that #1 doesnt cover) they happened, Ive learned from the mistakes and am a better person now for it.

3. You cant turn back time to fix it. Dont dwell on it, accept it for what it was. whether or not it was a mistake, lost/missed oppertunity, or what ever it was, and move past it.

12. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    im not retired but as far as havin regrets, there are a few, but would i try to change or fix them? not really.....what happened in the past is in the past, and our past makes us who we are today, besides, how can you change things that have already happened in the past? if i were to make any changes it would be in the behaviors today that will effect tomorrow. if we cant do anything else in life the least we can do is learn from the past to be able to better shape the future, and to become a better person or have a better life. look within and find out who you are and who you really wanna be, by makin changes within and becomin happy with yourself, you will be happier in the future.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :009: :009: Happy Birthday. My comment would be " Prepare and Live today like there is no tomorrow" Been retired several years with no regrets. Live live to its fullness. Put God First in all things.:lol: :big_smile:

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mikey, I don't have but two big regrets in life. We would try do things different raising our kids. And that's too late to fix since they are older than you. :lol:

I took early retirement at 54, never regretted a day of that. :big_smile:

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I retired at 59 and my only regret is not retiring at 55.
    I love being retired and I do it well.