Registering an old Jon boat help needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cheapNdisgusting, Oct 13, 2008.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    We've had this Jon boat laying behind the barn for at least 20 yrs. and where my dad got it, I have no clue. (he passed away in 2002) I'm reasonably sure he bought it at some farm auction here in S.E. Mo. but the boat was never titled or registered in Mo. by him. It is a 16' Ouachita, the "sticker" on it says AL (alabama) 86. This boat is in really good shape and I want to know what I need to do so I can use it. There is a registration tag on the stern but it is a "stick-on type" and I cannot make out any information on it. The weather really got to it. I don't want to sell it, but just want to use it. My dad was one of those people that bought anything and everything at sales.

Does anyone have any idea what steps to take to getting the boat in the water?

Thanks in advance on any help.

2. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    If there was any kind of number anywhere on this boat, even with my glasses on, I can't read it. The numbers that can be read are missing some.

Looks like this AL 86*** (*means missing) and these are on the starboard front side only. The port side used to have something there but all that is left is some glue residue. "Ouachita" is still very clear. The chrome plated plastic factory sticker is totally un-readable.

3. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You will need to have the sheriff department to look at it and determine if it was stolen. Once they do that they should give you some paperwork stating it is okay. You would take that paperwork to the DMV. I would call the DMV prior to calling the sheriff department to make sure you don't need anything else.

Hope that helps...

4. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks, I can get that done pretty easy.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I know that is true in both MO & TX, not sure about other states. Either way, DMV should be able to direct you in the right direction.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Go to the mo dept of revenue site and check,but i think the new law is to get a lost title for a boat is that the last title owner has to send in for a lost title,

7. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    I recently went through a similiar situation. I had bought a small jon boat in KS about 20 some odd years ago and only had a bill of sale because Kansas doesn’t title.

I had originally only intended to use the boat on farm ponds so I never titled it. I recently decided to put it on some small area lakes and went through the titling process, it wasn’t to painful.

It was kind of funny because when I went to the DMV to try and title the boat, my bill of sale was older than the teenage DMV clerk, who was kind of shocked at how long I had waited to title it.:crazy:

Just had to have the boat inspected by law enforcement (Sheriff Department or MO Water Patrol) to verify boats hull number or in my case lack of one and check to make sure it’s not stolen.

The law enforcement then provides you with the hull / vehicle identification number verification sheet and you take it to the DMV.

If your boat is an older one like mine and has no hull number, the MO Department of Revenue will send you one on a metal tag that you place on the boat

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Do you plan on using a motor or trolling motor?
    If not,it doesn't need to be registered.

9. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    This summer, I tore up my "Old faithful" jon boat and thought that I would replace it with the one behind the barn. When I looked at it, I realized it was built stronger than "Old faithful". I will trailer it over to the Sheriff's ofice the first of next week and get the process started.

Thanks again.

10. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We bought a 10' jon boat from my moms friend and no numbers or glue where there were numbers as far as I can tell! My dad has to take it somewhere in Memphis to get it registered.