Registering a boat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by steveturner024, Jan 19, 2010.

1. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Here is my situation. My parents own a 14' flat bottom jon that they don't use. They said I could have it. It hasn't been registered for 8 years at least. I was told by a reliable source that I would have to pay for all of the registration fees for all of the years the boat was not registered to get it registered.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois

if you change the ownership name of the boat...you will have to pay for title ,regs and taxes (taxes depend on sell price and if family is involved..so ya bought it for $1 rightttt??)
    otherwise leave it in your parents name and update the regs and the plates on the trailer if need be.

3. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just did this last year and it wasn't to bad, maybe just the person that waited on me. I told them it had just been sitting in my drive for the last 9 yrs and now I wanted to get it registered so I could use it. She just had me fill out the papers and gave me a new registration for it. No extra charges involved. I never even had a title for it. As of now my state representative is getting me a title for it. The great state of Illinois kept telling me it had never been registered in Illinois, even after I sent pictures of the registration on the boat and all the numbers and serial number and everything. I have had it and been fighting with this great state for the last 12 yrs. I'm just waiting for the title to arrove via mail now. My representative called his contact down at Springfield and she is hand carrying it through the system so all is finally looking good.

4. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad to hear the state rep is actually helping!! Just make sure the new title matches the HIN (hull id #)...dealt with that once due to a clerical error with the state...talk about headaches!!!! Good luck this year!!

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    There is a place in Mt. Vernon, Il. called Sandusky Title Service. The guy who runs it has all the right connections in Springfield. People from all over the southern half of IL. end up going there to get stuff straightened out, and he only charges the standard state fees.