Refrigerator Help, Please!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by snakecotc, Jul 25, 2006.

1. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    My freezer is staying cold like it should be but my refrigerator part is not cool at all. What coul dit be? It is a freezer on top, fridge on bottom style Frigidaire. I dont know what to do and the repair folks want 45 bucks just to come and look at it.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    not freon if the freezer is working ok...more likely it is iced up where the air circulates to the bottom....try defrosting it and then restarting it.
    or you can take the cover out of the bottom of the freezer and checking for ice

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mine did this.It was the automatic defrost elements gone out and allowing ice to stop up the circulating route.I hope you find it and that it is something simple.Always check your controls.peewee-williams

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The freezer takes the cold fast and first. I bet it makes ice real fast.
    check the thermostats and controls settings.

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    It sounds like the defroster timer has quit. Ice has built up on the coils and must be defrosted before air can circulate around them.

Get the numbers off your refridgerator and order a defroster timer. You can get it on-line for about 1/2 the cost of going down town (at least that's been my experience).

Take everything out of the freezer and put it all in a cooler or another freezer. Unplug the refridgerator and leave the door open for three hours to defrost. There is ice you can not see behind a panel in the back of the refridgerator so let it sit a while. You can speed up this process by removing the panel inside the back of the refridgerator and using a hair dryer to melt the ice. DO NOT attempt to chip away at the ice; let it melt. You will likely later have to drain the pan, if you have one. After your ice problem is gone you can put everything back in the refridgerator and it will work OK for a few days before the ice built up problem comes back. throw a thermometer in the box to monitor the temps over the next few days to be on the safe side.

You should have your timer in 3-4 days so you can kill the power and install it in a few minutes. Gain access to the defroster timer, it is usually accessable from inside the refridgerator behind the back panel. Some web sites will show you a typical layout and will even give you some troubleshooting tips. (repairclinic . com is a good one)

This is all the opinion of an untrained non-repairman. Use at your own risk!

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sgt Rob is probably right, but check the condenser coil for dirt/lint first. Sounds like this might be an older model, so the condenser may be underneath the bottom (which is where it'll collect the most dirt). Use a sweeper hose with a brush attatchment.

Smitty

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    These guys got it right but you need to check one more thing. I had one that did that and it turned out to be a $12 fan that circulates air between the freezer and the refrigerator. It's easy to replace.

8. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    BINGO! Thanks a lot. You just saved me paying $45 just to have somebody look at it. I owe you a cold one. Thanks again.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    glad you saved a buck, Blake:smile2: