refreshed hot pepper thread for 08 season

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 12, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    folks im still nervous and aint planting yet. still frost dangers here in central ill.

i got some real hot peppers this winter from seed.

b-hut jolokia. worlds hottest.
    african fatili
    scotch bonnet habenaros
    taxas tepin
    these were germinated in the house in peat pots behind woodstove where heat was plentiful. there now 6" tall with full green leaves. and i just ordered jamican chocolate habenaro seeds tabasco and red savina habenaro. them seeds are on the way.

my roma tomatoes are seedlings now and just getting the second set of leaves.

these b-hut jolokia peppers should be a treat. anyone grow these or trying to get em? i got 5 seeds from ebay for $6. ya high but i wanted them. and 4 have grown well. any one intrested in seeds from these keep me in mind. because these are so hot a little goes a long way so i can get a few fellas some seeds for 09. i have one already asking,lol. whats the hottest ya got for 08 guys. ive been stepping up to get ready for these. eating lots of jalapenos lately, as a matter of fact i had a cheese pizza earlier covered with jalapeno rings. and adding orange habenaro powder to meats. these should be a ride.

i bought a 1lb 10oz can of jalapenos yesterday. in gonna try to eat the whole can if i can. i really dont want to light up when i get the jolokias ready. so soon ill be back to eating pickeled habenaros from the jar. its been a while.

glad the new remodeled bathroom is done.:big_smile:

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    we still have a few ounces of the habenero powder we made last year so we didnt plant any this time. with bell peppers getting so expensive and especially the peeled/roasted ones we decided to plant a mess of those for canning. one dozen bells of various types. half a dozen of the jumbo jalepenos, a dozen of the tam mild jalepenos, half a dozen sweet banana- (alternated with the jumbo jals in the row so they will have some heat too) a few new mexico big jims, a cayenne or two, and two of a variety called "yummy" which i know nothing about. LOL when i put them in our cart i told the wife the name of them and said maybe they are maybe they arent, we shall see. LOL a few other peppers too but i dont remember what they are. i remember reading somewhere the bhut jalokia is to be de-throned this year. i cant remember the source of info??? but its the supposed new bad boy on the block, guess we will hear more of it if thats true.

all are in the ground and doing well, lost one bell to a storm and the slugs got another jal. put out sluggetta the other day and tomorrow am soaking the whole garden with bifenthrin.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Are the jalapenos you are eating for ur "conditioning" pickled or fresh? one good way to do it is to eat a raw fresh jalapeno with whatever food ur eating. just dont rub your eyes!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pickeled. but i have habenaros from last year too that ill be chewing on too. and ive got some horesradish that will blister your nostrals.

il be eating the jalapenos by themselves,lol. the habenaros ill eat with the food. tha jalapenos are just to get ready for the habenaros. they will tune the pipes for the jolokias. wich are 4-5 times hotter than the orange habenaros. the red savina habenaro is the last record holder and 1/2 the heat of jolokias.:crazy:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I tried to get some peppers to grow from seeds and no luck. I ended up getting some starters from the nursury for .98 cents a pot. I live in an apartment so everything is in pots. I'm not a farmer so this is a trial for me. So far they are going good, better than I expected. I'll take some pics tomorrow and give ya a look. Signed The Greenhorn. :roll_eyes:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Went to a local nursery last weekend and asked for pepper plants,They said maybe in 2 weeks ,We are still getting freezing temps here. I havn't even tilled up the garden yet,But I'm hoping to get some piquens,Jalapenos,Indian chili and possibly habenero planted this year.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well that sounds like some tasty stuff to me! Enjoy and dont hurt yourself! You can give yourself a hiatal hernia from eating too many peppers. not to mention what happens a couple hours later!:smile2:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i havent tilled yet either. i aint to worried. my wife cant eat what i concider mild,lol. i have to make two different meals sometimes because the juice bleeding out will make hers and the boys way to hot,lol.

well one record i seen was 101 jalapenos so i dont think 30 will send me to the hospitol. at least jalapenos, lol. jolokias may be a different story.

the woodstove gave me an advantage. the hot temps along with dry heat really got my HOT ones germinating. i was real worried about the $6 b-huts. but 4of5 aint bad. they should produce plenty of pods to keep me on fire. and ill plant them in the fullest sun and not much water when they start producing. the stress makes pods hotter,lol. like they need that.:smile2:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    keep me posted on the results and ill help ya cook some of my dangerously tasty tacos.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jeremy I have some peter red peppers planted. They will be transplanted to the garden when it gets warm. They are a hot pepper that is about twice as hot a a jalopeno. If they are puting on peppers by the gathering I will bring you some. They turn red when rip and have excellent flavor.

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    one i forgot to mention, a single specimen of a chile called "treasure red".
    its considered an ornamental cause it grows in this cute little bush but its got a fantastic citrus flavor before the heat kicks in. id compare it in heat to a serrano on the hotter side. not painfully hot to eat but gets your attention.
    i was pleasantly surprised, most ornamental types have good heat levels but fall short in flavor.

just a reminder about ornamentals... they are perfectly fine peppers for the garden, given the ornamental name due to all heat/no flavor or they make an attractive accent plant in the flower beds. just assume that any ornamental pepper has been treated with systemic insecticides at the nursery- grow it this year just for the seeds, plant them next year for the food.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i grew some sort of thi ornamental last year. they had some bite for sure. and little things too but had some kick.

tim ive seen those too. they was always about the shape,lol. not to many mentioned the heat or nothing so i never got much intrest. ill sure try em if there ready. thanks. also got some horseradish root ordered to plant. should be here this week. seems the heat is more in the processing. longer ya wait to add viniger the hotter it gets. to a cartain point. the key is to find exactly where its topped and not to quick or to long. been processing store bought roots to practice.

hopfully today will be our last below freezing temps. 29 tonight. the hot exotics cant take that so ill be waiting another week or two. but looks like the temps will be warm enough to get the soil tilled and fertilized with rabbit pellets,lol.

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    one thing i did to help with pepper consumption, a happy accident, i quit dipping copenhagen and started using that nicotine gum. a side effect to the gum is it makes you hyper-sensitive to heat. at first even black pepper on my eggs was too much to handle. well, im a certified chili-head so no way was this acceptable. so starting from square one in the tolerance building ive noticed a serious increase in how hot i like my food. im not saying i can eat jalokias like candy but my tolerance has certainly improved. just avoid eating a piece of that gum an hour before eating the peppers.

may make some ABT today on the smoker pit. (atomic buffalo turds) stuffed jalepenos cooked on the grill.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well heres my pathetic little garden. All I can do for an apartment dweller. :embarassed:

Attached Files:

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This years pepper crop is looking good so far. The plants are in the grow box and they are about 6" tall with beautiful foilage. I'm planning on planting around the first of May. I'm growing several types of Hot Peppers this year including..... Hot Lemon Peppers
    Biker Billy Jalapeno
    Serrano Chilies
    Carribean Red Habanero
    as well as 2 types of Bells............I would be interested in some of those seeds Jeremy!!!!! For next years garden. Thanks:crazy:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya you were the one i ment by i had already had one asking. bet ya thought i forgot about ya didnt ya?:big_smile:

hey oz. thats what i would have if i lived in an apartment. i gotta have my peppers and maters for salsa.

ever tried hanging buckets upsidedown and growing them from the bottom? i hear it works.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    [youtubevid]U6yGZdOFdok[/youtubevid]

here a guy that looks like a pepper trying it. hes one of the few i can post. most must use bad language. but he only gets a small piece. ther are guys on youtube eating whole ones. and its funny.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well got the garden tilled today. i like to do mine north south and then go over again east west. then let it sit a day or two to air out and dry and re till again both ways. i had a bail of straw on it this winter. tilled it in both ways and hit the rabbits. got 2 wagon loads of poo and shoveled over the whole garden. then hit it with a 3rd quick till to stirr it in.

took two wagons full down alley to my grandmas plot too. gonna till it tomorrow. paps hips aint to good. getting to dang old and he still works so ill give him a break this year.

tomorrow ill re till mine too both ways. should make some nice soft powered airated soil. i got 5 horseradish starts to add this year and my chocolate habenaros, red savina, and tobasco seeds made the mail today. thell be in peat by my bed time at 2-3am,lol.

tomaters are 2" tall and will be a few weeks but the hot peppers are ready soon as weather stops getting into 30's. i love spring. zuchinni soon.:wink:

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats funny you said that, theres been commercials for these upsidedown tomato growers. I think I'll just give this a try this year for a greenhorn, they look good so far so dont want to mess with it to much. Thats my plan peppers and maters, dont need to much else for me anyways.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i seen that too. i was scepticle but others have said it works too.

well tilled mine up good today and grandparents too. got my 5 new horsradish in. cant wait for those pumpkin blossoms. yummy.

and i have to get my nes pepper seeds going. didnt get to it last eve.