reflector tape

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by BIGcatjakeJR, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    me and my Dad fish at night time so we need to see ur rod tips lanterns are nice but there are to many bugs so i came up with an idea using refector tape which reflects greatly...Things you need

1.reflector tape get at a hardware store
    2.lsd light buy it a walmart money range 9-15$
    3. try it out:smile2::wink:

2. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I use reflector tape on my rod holders, I got tired of busting my shins on them in the dark.

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I prefer to use glow sticks. I get the 8 inch ones from our sponsors and tape the holders to the the tips of my rods, makes easy changing them that way. Had the same problem with my rod holders, running into them and even finding them again. Not anymore, they get glowsticks too. Lanterns and flashlights are forbidden when fishing with me, glow sticks are bright enough to see to tie lines. I even toss them in ankle twisting holes so we know where not to walk.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Glo-Stks man GLO_STIKS.

U R right it sure helps to see whats going on!!

One can see them Glo-Stiks for up to 30 yds away n more

:wink:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Ditto on the glowsticks.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can get replacement glow stiks for those glow corks you buy at walmart and put them on your rod tips. They are only about two inches long but show up well. Then to see where ya going or for tying and such get the big glow stiks from the camp section in wal mart they work really well. Just remember if ya got any left over keep them in your freezer and they will keep and be ready for next time you go out.

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Also consider wildwolfs glowsticks he is a sponsor and you can get 100 8" glowsticks for the price of 3 at wal-mart plus the connectors to make holders out of,they burn well over 12 hrs and are bright enough to see good the whole 12 hrs

8. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    but illumination from the tape is a one time application, whereby the glo-stick needs to be replaced when depleted. Illumination tape also can be applied to a float rig and can be seen from a good distance, no need for batteries and the cost of the lit floats are expensive. Plus another advantage to tape is that there is no chance for your line to tangle around the glo-stick. We use led headlamps and the rods light up like it's x-mas. :cool2:

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Oh darn, I didn't know that you had to put them in the freezer so they wouldn't go bad. I have two big packs I bought from Wildwolf last year and have not used them yet. Are they history??

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use glow sticks...hands down. I bought 40 8" sticks for $3 at the Dollar Tree Store. I've been doing this for a long time and nothing else comes close that I've seen.

IMO it has 0 reaction time. If my rod moves I know right away. I don't have to shine a light at all. No batteries for flashlights, no charging tape under lights etc. For pennies I light my rods up all night.

The other night I put mine on at 9pm and they were sill glowing after the sun came out the next morning.

Here is some interesting things about glow sticks. I thought yas might like to see the science behind it.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/light-stick1.htm

-Jim-

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    they might be bill depends on where ya stored them. Only way I know how to find out is get one out and light it up to check it.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use glow sticks, tried the tape but unless you have a light on it you can't see the rod move. If you want something to really get your attention, pull a couple foot of slack in your line between two of the rod guides and hang a weighted glow stick on the line. No matter what the fish does when it hits, the glow stick will move. The areas I fish it's not uncommon for me to be 50 or more yards away from some of my rods and glow sticks are the best thing I have found to use to keep up with whats going on.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the reflector tape works very well on jugs:big_smile:

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its glow sticks all the way for me. The use of a flashlight shining on my rods or towards the water is a no-no. I use glow sticks on all my rods and can see them up to 75 yrds at night. They are best! I buy them by the 100's and they last over 12 hrs easily. :big_smile: