Reflector tape v.s glow sticks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BIGcatjakeJR, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    but illumination from the tape is a one time application, whereby the glo-stick needs to be replaced when depleted. Illumination tape also can be applied to a float rig and can be seen from a good distance, no need for batteries and the cost of the lit floats are expensive. Plus another advantage to tape is that there is no chance for your line to tangle around the glo-stick. We use led headlamps and the rods light up like it's x-mas. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    There are advantages and disadvantages to every situation. For example if I'm fishing with jugs, trotlines, or Yo yo's I use reflective tape for sure. It can be seen from a lot longer distance when hit with a light than the glow stiks can.

When I am fishing with a rod and reel I like the glow stiks cause I don' t have to hit it with a light and it is easily viewable by anyone I am fishing with incase I have looked away or am trying to retie another line.

If your afraid of the glow stiks tangling your line you can make a float from a 20 oz drink bottle by drilling a hole in the bottom and screwing a barrel swivel or a real small screw eye to the bottom. Just remember to put some glue on the screw. Then when your ready to fish put a glow stik in the bottle. The glow stik is not sticking up anywhere and won't snag your line.

Also when fishing with the glow stiks if I had happened to look away when I look back I don't have to fool with a light trying to find my float. When I look back if a fish has taken it under I will know immediately that it is gone and from which rod without fumbling with a light.

3. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Been using glowsticks on the end of my rods. I ordered a roll of glow in the dark tape to try it out

4. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    glow in the dark tape is another animal all together. The glowing properties in that tape don't last very long and you have to keep recharging it by holding it under a light for a few minutes or a black light. At any rate you'll spend most of your time recharging it than you will fishing with it.

5. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    says it should last 6 hours:sad2:

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    optimum word..... should.

It might at first but my experience is that over a period of time it loses something in it and you have to recharge more and more often.

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    reflective tape is all I use on my jugs. I even tie a small coke bottle with tape on it on each end of my trotline at night.
    I got some of the yellow reflective tape from the bus department at the school where I teach. It can be seen a long way off.
    If any of you live close to Alma, Arkansas, A-Z has rolls of gray/silver reflective tape for about 77 cents a roll. I have yet to make a dent in the roll too, as it is probably about 50 yards long. This tape really is bright when hit with a Q-beam at night.
    Hope this helps

8. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    If you use 2 or 3 liter bottles as your jugs you can put glow stiks inside them that you can get from gene (akwolf) or you can buy them at wal mart. They will last all night. But if your fishing jugs for several days in a row it might be better to use the reflective tape. I don't jug much but I like the glow stiks my self. You can see them for a very long ways and don't have to use a light to see them and if a fish has taken the jug under alot of times you can see the glow under the water when ya get close enough to it.

I use reflective tape on all my yo yo's. It works really well on them.

On my trotlines I usually don't use anything cause it just marks them for everyone else to see and find also. If I'm trotlining a new lake or unfamiliar place I might tie a piece onto a limb near the trotline to help me find my way back to it the first couple times but after that I usually pull it back off to keep anyone else from finding it.

9. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Glow sticks all the way. I use them on my bobber and rod.
    I love after the bobber goes under and watching the light zoom around when the fish takes the bait.

The reflector tape requires some sort of external light, which attracts bugs.

my penny

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i glow it.

the cost isnt bad if ya buy 100 at a time.

led lamps take batteries. and if added it probably is reletively the same.

i need only glow sticks to night fish. my lights last a long time when all i need em for is to bait up and remove a hook.

staring at a peice of tape with a light wouldnt work with me. always looking around. and the lights need to be on all the time to see a strike. i can watch 2 or more glow rods from 30-50' without a light. and ya cant watch 3-4 rods with one light at same time.

glow all the way.

and when i get back to the tent camping they all go into the roof net for a dim light to see by while readying the sack for nighty night.

11. kickflip484

kickflip484 New Member

State:
    Ohio/Virginia
    Where does one buy these glow sticks??

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    walmart sells them so do alot of bait and tackle shops.

I would not use the tape when fishing rod and reel cause i dont like to shine light on the water

13. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I buy my glowsticks at the Dollar Tree.They sell them as bracelets but they work great for the rods.Most of them come in packs of 5.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

take this link and click on the second thread for website. gene chanbers sells them. hes a b.o.c. sponser. and sells only green. the brightest of the colors.

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm

link to glow sticks. 100 green 8" for $10 + shipping.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its glow sticks all the way for me. I can see them at night for almost 100 yds. and I dont like to shine the flashlights at all while fishing for trophy Flatheads. I order them by the 100's and they work great for my floats and my rod tips.:big_smile: