Reflective tape

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by toddrod, Jul 6, 2006.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I am trying to find a source for a cheap roll of reflective tape. I have been to Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot, but they do not have a roll, only strips that are $4.00 for 3 strips.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you might try the hobby section of your walmart, kmart are local hobby store. I have some bright colored paint I am going to put on the ends of my rods if I ever get a night I don't go fishing.

3. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    Good luck with that chor. the only thing I have found is the DOT tape they use on trailers.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Our local walmarts usually have the rolls in the automotive department, as well as sporting goods. Another source is you local auto parts dealer, such as NAPA.

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your taping the ends of rods the regular reflective tape is to stiff for the small diameter of the rod. Go to an archery shop & order som arrow cresting tape any color you want and they also have reflective out now.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I buy mine at our local Wally world, in the auto dept. Here they carry the silver and red, I like the silver. Works really well at night, but a light stick works even better, then you don't have to have any lights on, except to bait and take off cats, hopefully.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Maybe off the subject a little. But I put relextive tape on the lower unit of my motor. It helps other drivers see the motor at night when I am on the road traveling to and from the lake.

8. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey Todd next time you see the guys paving the road stop and ask one of the guys for the yellow tape they put down untill they paint the stripes. Most of the time the guys will give you a couple feet of it. I use it alot for marking trails in the deerwoods works great and if it can stick to asphalt, well it will stick to just about anything.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Best place for top quality reflector tape is your friendly TSS (Tractor Supply Store). Bring your wallet as it is quite expensive - something like $40.00 for a 20' roll. It is the stuff you see on semi's though. And believe me, it is an excellent tape. Don't have one near you, maybe you can PM me and I'll go check for the exact price, with tax and let you know.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The auto dept at Wally World is the place to go. If you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) around you they usually have it as well.

11. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    you may think i am joking but the best reflective tape i have ever used was sheetrock tape. we used it on our limb lines and you can see it from quite a ways away. its not that expensive either.

12. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    Thanks for the replies. I did not think about looking in the auto dept at Wallyworld or NAPA(have one down the street). Will let you know what I find.

13. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Todd, I get my reflective tape at Wal-Mart in the Automotive Section by the roll. It cost $1.97. I take the roll and cut it down the middle, and this make enough to wrap around 6 ea 2 5/8 in. noodles. The white shows up the best at night. A 6 volt flashlight will show up when it hits the reflective tape. If you have the 3 5/8 noodles it will only do 5 ea. I recommend that you take a small piece of this tape put on the end of your noodle so they will show up in all 4 dirrection.

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also usw the reflective auto tape on my boat 2 small strips on each side and back, safety on the road & river. Barges & other boats can see you really well when there spotlighting.

15. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I got a small roll from ACE hardware for around $2.75. Wal-mart did'nt have it.

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This can be a life saver.Rember.The larger,the further that it can be seen.How much is your life worth?A large searchlight will often overpower and lose a weak anchor or flashlight in it's beam,while it will make a large reflector stand out.With fog or mist on the water,it is even worse.8 on a Jon boat (2 to a side,and 2 to each end) is great insurance.You can rig cheap bicycle reflectors to hang and remove as needed.It is also greater insurance if your trailer lights fail.peewee-williams

17. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Those strips can go aloooooong ways. You can take scissors and cut them into real thin strips to use. It doesnt take very much reflective tape at all to be able to see it at night with your spotlight. I'm talking no more than 1/8" or so thick. BTW, I've never seen "cheap" reflective tape. If you find it be sure to post the source so others can also take advantage of it.

18. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I purchased some reflective tape recently from Wal-Mart and Lowe's and when comparing the two I would have to go with the trailor tape from Lowe's. It was a lot stickier, thicker and a lot more reflective. Plus it's solid colors, not the red and white mixed stuff.

19. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Go to autozone, depending on store setup usually isle 5 with the silicone and tape, etc, its a few dollars for a roll, both red and white.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a roll at Ace hardware, in the section with traffic cones, and marking flags. not too expensive, used it on a trailer i painted black. i think it will fade in 4-5 years, so need to do it again