Reflections...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 223reload, Oct 8, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was thinkin today about how things have changed in my life.

I was born in 1961 so lets start at 67 when I was 6
    over the past 40 years I have seen ............

67' kids played outside ALL the time .
    07' Kids dont play at all ,just sit in front of the tv and stare.
    67 mom said ,Take out the trash and clean your room.
    07 mom says SOMEBODY PLEASE take out the trash . and CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM

67 gas was .38 a gal
    07 gas is 3,15

67 Families sat down to supper and visited while eating
    07 families visit while running to get a quick meal at BK or Mc Donalds.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sad, but true. I was born in 1976, and it is a totally different world today than it was just 15 years ago.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I was born in 60.A lot has changed. Not all for the best.:sad2:

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i hear ya , i was born 71 man i have'nt heard the word supper for awhile it's always are'nt ya gonna eat or come and eat .shooot when i say take out the trash they just look at me , i'll tell you this though it ain't like itwas back then .

5. fishermanswife

fishermanswife New Member

State:
    az
    So true. Kids have no respect any more, for themselves or others. Did parents get to busy to teach thier children or what? I have no idea what's going on. I drop my 6yr old off in the mornings and all the kids are playing gameboys before school:eek:oooh: Seems theyare all plugged in and zoned out most of the time. Not mine. He's in sports, has chores, earns t.v. time and says "yes ma'am/sir." Only thing he doesn't get yet (he's almost 7) is why his parents are so mean. Hopefully he'll thank us for it later.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I was 6 in 1952. Unfortunatley most of the changes ive seen have not been good ones. The biggest and most dramatic change ive seen is family values and the change has not been for the better. A lot of the other changes can be expected, but when familys sart to fall apart and when people have no morale values i fear for our country.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The saddest and most disturbing part for me has been the generation gap between myself and my son. I'm 55 & he just turned 21. Technology has had a greater influence on our society than was expected I think. And not for the good. The more technology we employ, the less interaction one with another we have, and the less we can do "for ourselves" that make positive connections that last and have a positive effect. Things that let us share with the past the values that made us. We have turned from nature to devices and lost part of our humanity one for another in the process. Now it's just the news...not horrible beyond belief, or disturbing. Just the news. It's not real to our kids, until it reaches out an touches them personally. Too much information, too fast, of too little value and too little explanation required.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Born in 45, which means I get ahead of Splitshot at the buffet table. People younger are the most disappointing aspect for me. Purpose, commonsense, motivation, respect for anything, lack of education or willingness to learn, sense of country and patriotism, and the most frustrating part is they don't care. I, Me, Mine now. Wasn't so long ago it was We, Us, Ours, with the individual and country at the top of the list. Actually I am glad I am still alive to see it. Something is going on here that I probably will get to see the results of. John.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    born in 69 so I am still a pupp but the moral values of a time gone by is definatly in question.Some of these kids now days just need a good ole spankin and taught the ole ways of what not to do so they will think about what to do.......LIFE DEFINATLY IS FULL OF CHANGES:roll_eyes:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Who do we have to blame for these changes. Just a thought.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    wait a minute fella's. no disrespect to my elders, but you cant judge an entire generation by what you see on the television. i cant speak from experience about what life was like in yall's day. i can however speculate on human nature a lil bit. i would just about bet a dollar to a donut, that there were some things your parents and grandparents did not like regarding your generation. especially considering the 60's and 70's. you know lil things like long hair, harley davidsons, rock-n-roll, mind expanding drugs(which sounds like an oxymoron) sexual revolution, protesting the gov. (vietnam),women's rights, desegregation(i think looks great to us now, but wasnt recieved to warmly then) etc. etc.

best i can tell, ppl and culture's evolve. they always have and they always will. some good, some bad. i reckon most of yall turned out allright. give me and my generation x-box a lil more time, we might surprise you. as i am sure you surprised some of your folks.

just my wet behind the ears, yellow diaper fodder, 2 cents.

j.d.

p.s. most all of my friends still shake hands, open doors for ladies, and say yes sir no sir, 3 bags full sir.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Who gives you the right to act and think intelligently and with such good thought? It ain't everybody JD, thank God. It was a generalization on my part. Your bunch and others in their generations are what I miss most and don't see enough of. My hats off to you, I hope you can keep us on a straight line. You sure are doing fine now. Pops John.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The bar has been raised to 'being with the Jones's'. It is a fight to reach the 'norm' that has left many changes.

Television back in the day was a luxury.... now, it is a norm. Not just one, but many.

Computer back in the day did not exist... now, look what we all have and use daily?

Communication was snail mail... now we have fast modes of communication like email or cell phone. How many lives have been saved because of those little beauties being able to dial out in a storm in the middle of no where?

Good... Bad... I am with baitchunker on this. I am sure if there were XBox's and Playstations back in the 'good ole days' and had the means of acquiring one... I am sure you all would have had some time spent rotting away in front of the box.

But culture changes as was mentioned. I am sure us young pups will complain to the future just as you old timers are now :wink:

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    brian's right.

i am already horrified of the outlook i get from some of my younger cousins, and siblings. sad thing is they are pretty good kids.

i think they all have some sort of values, maybe even a moral code. its just not the one yall (or i for that matter) am used to. and the lifestyle of general population is changing with every new tech. advancment.

i am often accused by my boss of being stuck in the mind frame of a marine. i tell him it is because things in the corps were simplified. no b.s. -at least not compared to moidern america- the military designs things so that they can teach the lowest common denomenator how to operate. if anything, i think that maybe just maybe, things were more simplified 20-30 years ago. and even more simplified 40-50 years ago. but, i really cant know.

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Another Gem. Don't want to puff you up too much here and make you look like a spring gobbler "Upchunker" 'cause I know you have problems that require professional help, as we all do here. I won't tell ya mine. But I can go in peace now knowing the Marines are still in charge, there is intelligence in the hinterland and you are the kind of guy that can raise purple pecans. Thanks JD. Start a collection of your thoughts before you get old like a lot of us here and forget what you said. Thanks ol' Pops John.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Richard, I hear you. This country and it's people were so different when I came along back in 1935. Some of the changes have been great and some have been terrible. But I have no desire to return back to those "good old days". :wink:

17. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Kinda like the indoor plumbin don't ya Dayton. LOL!

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Oh dear god George... you crossed the line :tounge_out:

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right on George. Course it wasn't so bad after the WPA built us a outhouse... that new outhouse with concrete floor was the next thing to being uptown compared to before when we had to go out behind the barn and we didn't have a barn. :embarassed::eek:oooh: :wink:

20. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well i was born in 1980. i know i am a young pup, but i have done more in the last 8 years than most will ever do i their lifetimes. i have fought in 2 wars( Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom) ,been completely around the world twice, lived in japan for 2 years, and lots more that i would rather not disclose at this time. and i dont take offense when people say i am young, that i am just a baby. i know what i have done and thats all that matters. one thing that really upsets me though is people that are my age, with no job, living with mom and dad (by choice), are lazy and have no ambition. i hate talking to people like this because they have an excuse for everything. they always say things like "i was going to go into the military, but i didnt like all of the rules, etc." i ask them "so whhat did you do with your life" and they say something like" i went to college for a while but i dropped out". WHAT!?!?!? what is wrong with people these days. i am 26 and i have been working since i was 15?