Reflections of war

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dreamcatcher, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hello, and good morning to you all. This is something that I read on my home page, and thought some of you would be interested in one veteran's reflection on the aftermath of war. It's just some of the stuff that you'll never hear on TV, or read in your local newspaper. This stuff always serves as a reminder regarding what our young veterans are experiencing today. Take care, and have a great day...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/014056

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Very good, One of my buds worked as a medic in viet nam. He told me alot of stories.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Pretty powerful stuff! Thanks for sharing it! My Father who is 86 years old and has alzhimers, some days cant remember who I am, but he remembers war like it was yesterday! He will often just start weeping and say "you know? I was lucky, many of us did'nt come back". When you first meet him, the first thing he will say is "I was in the war"! I would say that war leaves a life long effect on you even if you are one of the "lucky ones!"

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Wow! That was intense. I'm left somewhat speechless. Thank you for sharing that.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Good to see you posting again Vic. That is a powerful story. It's a shame that politics has to supercede the lives of our protectors, the American soldier.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    So powerfull a article. The ones who most need to read it will never do so. Such is the politics of warfare. Thank you for the post,

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    a very strong article vic,i truly can't find the words to respond.....
    thanx for sharing...it really is an eye opener

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    pretty sickening to read about our government not takeing better care of the wounded who have risked life to serve the country.
    with all the money we have in this country it is insane for there to be
    a veteren who is in need of anything.
    talk about a thankless job.

each time you read about a frivolous and ignorant abuseive use of any government spending the wasted money could have been used very differently and there is no excuse it wasnt.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hello and good morning to you too Vic.

Thanks for the article. I hope I've given it to someone that'll put it in the face of all those in charge.

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

There is a signature that I used on the old forum that stated:
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." In truth, that statement cuts both ways because good deeds only serve to slow down the bleeding, but it doesn't blanket evil. As long as men seek dominance, wealth and status evil will always prevail, and war will be inevitable. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that we quit fighting the good fight, because to do so would signal the final surrender to chaos. I posted that link not in support of one veteran's stance against the war, but to highlight the aftermath of the "forgotten" ones who've sacrificed much, and have asked for so little. God bless them all...

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Vic, we all do "nothing" everytime we vote in the wrong politician who cares for nothing but him/herself.
    Everytime we bitch and complain about taxes and the like. True, a lot more could be done with the existing taxes,but, when we will we all stand up and tell them,
    "We want our vets taken care of now!"
    Until then, they will all suffer.
    As long as a doctor can make more money in private practice vs. at a Vets hospital. Once a Veterens hospital doc makes as much or more than the local county or private hospital does, they will only get the very few Docs and nurses who care, instead of the rejects that can't make it anywhere else.
    God bless our Vets.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There are doctors of quality that put in their time for the vets, as I've seen in Charleston SC.

The VA hospital is very near the Medical University of SC. I know for a fact Some of the very best from MUSC put in time at the VA hospital. It helps, but not enough.

Does anyone have any idea what they call someone that graduates last in medical school?

13. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    That would be....Doctor

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Bob that'd be " a doctor".
    (to answer you're joke.
    The "rejects" I spoke of , are the full timers. I went to VA hospitals for years,for me and for my Dad. The quality of personell, ratio of patients to nurses, and docs ain't even close to a private hospital. Nor is the amount or quality of care.
    I never intended to "down" some of the docs and nurses who work there.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Keith, I'm on your side, and that ain't a joke. Beware of these urgent care places springing up, aka Doc in a box.

Those dorks at the VA hospital in Nashville killed a good friend and a fine man in Tn a few yrs ago by their misdiagnosing heart burn instead of heart trouble.

He died alone on his front porch a few weeks after taking medication for an acid reflux condition.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like many others who have served in battle zones, I saw a lot of terrible things in Vietnam. Things that I don't care to talk about even now, things that I try to put out of my mind, but don't always succeed, the dreams at night still come. But through all of it, I've always felt that I was extremely lucky; lucky to have survived, relatively unscathed, everything that could have made me one more statistic, and lucky, in a manner of speaking, to have experienced the dedication and the agony that makes this country the greatest in the world. I still think of the many GI's who never made it back, including some who were my friends and comrades.
    Thanks for making that post.