refinshing the floor on fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by billcatfish, Feb 4, 2008.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    just wanted to ask you all that is the best thing to refinish the floor on a fiberglass boat its got carpet in it now getting ready to pull it out an start all over not wanting to put carpet back in an if i do paint it do i need to prime the fiberglass befor i start thanks for the info

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you use a mechanical means of removing the carpet glue (wire wheel, sander, etc) you will kind of kill 2 birds with one stone - removing the carpet and roughing up the glass to take paint. I would prime it if it were me, but depending on the paint you use I suppose you could just put a couple of coats of your finish paint on it. Good Luck~

Branden

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depends upon what you mean by refinishing the floor. If your meaning just a carpet removal and painting the deck, thats one thing. If you mean removing the fiberglass deck, replacing the foam, and replacing the deck, thats another thing. Before you even get started, do a thorough inspection of your boat to see what is actually required. A $50.00 paint job is not going to help much on a rotted floor. If your talking a bout removing the fiberglass and redoing the floor, your probably talking about close to $350.00 or slightly more. But, you boat should then be in a shape to last for a few more years.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    guys the floor is fine i just wanna take up the carpet an paint the floor or put some kind bed liner in it

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, I would give the folks at Tuff Coat a call. They were very helpfull when I coated my lowe. They also have a PDF application guide on their website. They will tell you how to prep your fiberglass, what kind of primer to use, and mix the color you want to coat it in.
    Hang on a sec, I got a can of Tuff Coat here,,,,
    Fiberglass: To ensure good adhesion, first sand the surface aggressively using 36 or 40 grit sandpaper to ensure the removal of all gloss from the substrate. Ensure that the surface is free of waxes and other protective additives. Clean and completely dry the surface. Prime with a high quality marine fiberglass primer. Test for adhesion first, before completing job, then apply the product.
    There ya go bud, nothin but some elbow work. Good luck!

6. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Agreed, Ultra Tuff Coat is one hell of an awesome product. No more carpet for me ever again!

I've test an area around my fuel tank and the only way to get this stuff off is with a grinder.

It comes in several colors... easy to apply, just clean the surface of dirt, oils and glue... light roughing up of the surface...use a self-etching primer (Por-15)... then just roll on the the Tuff Coat. The key to my success was taking the prep time to do it right. Then when it came to the tuff coat, just keep applying layer after layer until the desired thickness is reached. The no slip floor is true no slip without using sand or abrasives. They use a rubber crumb material that is easy on the knees.

Talk about a deck/floor you can just hose off.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    About half way down this page, http://www.keltonkrew.com/whaler-restore.htm are close up pictures of the tuff stuff as applied.

I think I like it! This product may become part of my bass boat restoration.

On a side note: I thought I got carried away working on my boats! Check this fellow's craft out LOL!!

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HOW ABOUT BRUSH ON TK. BED LINER ?

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ultra Tuff Coat was meant for marine applications... using the correct tool for the job will save you headaches down the road.