Refinishing Aluminum Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by LiveWire, May 5, 2008.

1. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Hey Yall, I tried searching for help but come up with nothing although i'm sure someone has posted this before. I'm wanting to refinish a 12 ft aluminum jon boat. I'm unsure about what I need for this project. It has several coats of old paint which is peeling off in many places. I'm gonna sand it down good and get it prepped. Is there a specific kind of enamel or primer i need for the paint to adhere to the aluminum? I was thinkin about rolling in a truck bed liner material on the inside of it, but would that add too much weight? Thanks Yall!

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    there are a ton of different opinions on what should be used for a project like this.. another member and I redid a jon boat over the winter and what we used is self etching primer.. supposed to bond to the aluminum etc... i can't recall the kind of paint we used off the top of my head.. but if you go into a paint shop and tell them what you are doing.. they will hook you up with what you need. FYI we got the primer at the auto parts store.. came in aerosol cans.. easy to work with etc. good luck on your project.

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
  4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Use a good self etching primer or aluminum primer (pretty much the same thing). Then you can use whatever type of paint you want. If you want a really nice looking quality paintjob you can use automotive paint and spray it. if you're just looking for a decent paint job you can roll on or spray exterior paint, or you could even just use rattle cans. Your final product will only be as good as the prep work you put into it, so keep that in mind.

5. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    No more accurate statement could be made in regards to this subject. Whether it be a boat, car, motorcycle, swingset, or anything that you want to paint. The more effort that gets put into the prep, the happier you will be with the finished product.