Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Big Cat Hunter, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm kinda new at the big catfish thing. As far as reels go,do any of you use depth counter reels? Or do you use some other kind of method of finding your fishing depth. What kind of reel works best?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I personnally dont use depth counters but I think some of the drift fisherman use them to set how far back there lines are. If you want a reliable but inexpensive reel look into a Penn 209LW or if you want to spend a little more money for the good stuff go for Penn 310gtiLW. I have both and both have never let me down.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    One of the easier and cheaper ways of doin that is this.Most 7 foot rods are like this.Its right at 2 foot from the reel to the first eye on the rod.You pull line from the reel to the first eye and you just pulled 2 foot of line out, do that till you get to the depth you want.If the first eye on your rod isnt 2 foot from the reel measure 2 foot from the reel up the rod and put a mark there with tape or paint or whatever and you'll know where 2 foot is.If the suspended thing dont work drag your baits on the bottom.:wink:

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think they also sell line counters seperate from the reel that u attach to your rod that are inexpensive but the waychris is talking about is the most affordable and works well.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have several big reels I use and I like them all. I have two Daiwa's with line-counters I use at Monticello, they help keep me out of the timber usually but not always.

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    my personal opinion is just put your bait on the bottom and don't make it harder than it is...if drifting just be sure to "float" your bait a foot or two above the bottom to avoid all the snags.

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use ABU Garcia, 6000,6500.7000, I will drop to the bottom and crank up, or use a slip bobber set to the depth that you want. If your fishing suspended fish, I use my rod length, and try to place it the best that I can. It all comes down to what you like.