Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Should i use open face reels or open bail reels for catfish?Thank you for your post:confuse:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I prefer bait casters or sometimes they are called conventional reels. Smoothness of casting and the option of free spool with clicker on keeps me usein em. There are spinnin reels available with clickers however I have found them not to be loud enough for my ears. Either type will work fine. It pretty much just depends on your preference and budget.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Id say try each if you can and draw your own conclusion I use both because i fish small bodies of water and large rivers so each has a place in my arsonal im partial to the baitcasters though

4. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    here is how it is for me for casting your open faced spinning reels cast alot better now when it comes to realing in if I got a monster cat on I'd rather have it on a baitcaster a big abu garcia 7000 or 10000 or a big penn like my 220gto are just flat out winches

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bait casting reels take some practice to learn to cast but once you learn them you will like them. I think you have better options with them also.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both, but I think the baitcasters are better if u learn to use them right. Its kind of hard to find heavy duty spinning reel unless u get saltwater reels.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Use Both But After Learning How To Cast A Baitcaster, I Prefer The Baitcasting Reels.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Drifting for channels I like spinning reals,but when I'm fishing the missouri rivevr with live or cut bait I use baitcasters Abu garcia, penns, and shimano, reels with baitclickers, and #30 pound big game line. Your Friend J.D.

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i think im one of the few people who use all spinning reels while catfishin. i like em, people say that its better to have a big beefy baitcaster like an abu 7000 or sumthin but ive cought a few close to 20 pound fish and its not impossible, but i have used a buddys penn baitcasting reel a few times riged on a tuna pole. and i do like baitcaster, but i like spinning setups personally.

10. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    Does any one know what size of bearings the Abu 7000 takes. I have heard 3x10x4 and 4x10x4. I dont want to order the wrong ones.

11. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    My old man taught me on a spinning reel, that's all I used. Then about 7 years ago I bought a Daiwa Procaster Z bait castor for Large mouth Bass fishing. I was immediately hooked. I next bought a Quantum Iron for catfishing and I was hooked again. the only thing I use spinning reels for now is for small mouth bass and bluegills. I also prefer Abu Garcia reel these days.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All I use are shimano baitrunner 6500b's, IMHO there isnt a better or stronger reel for the money. I have pulled in blue cats close to 60lbs with mine and it didnt even stress the reels one bit. I am still waiting for a cat that will give it a challenge.