The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone uses for Pike fishing. I just got into baitcasters this year and I am in the market for a new reel. I picked up a St. Croix 7ft med/heavy rod that I need a reel for. I have an Abu 6501 C3 on it right now but it is just a little too big. I dont have a problem reeling with my right hand when catfishing but I would prefer to use my left hand when casting all day long. The rod is rated for 10-20 lb test. I will be casting lures up to an ounce. $200 would be my spending limit. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Abu 4501 or 4601 series will do the job nicely. The "01" designation indicates left-hand retrieve. Wider isn't stronger, just more line capacity. Evaluate how heavy of line you need, and how far you really cast. 14# Stren or Trilene will handle pike, and that would be about 100 yards of line. Switch to PowerPro and you'll have more line capacity.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After too much deliberation I went with an Abu Record RCN40. It holds plenty of 30lb braid and is ultra smooth. I will be fishing with it for the first time tomorrow. There seems to be a lot of play in the spool and no apparent adjustment, just wondering if this is normal on this reel.

·
Banned
79 Posts
A tica 200 series should fit the bill

Yes I know this is an old thread but the first time I have seen Tica mentioned

I found something when scanning the Tica website

The Tica Titan claw....an all aluminum low profile reel that has over 30 pounds of drag....sounds to be about equal to a Komodo 364 but has a 7.3 to one gear ratio

Line capacity is about the same...230 of 14 pound test

I so want to check this out but I am afraid..I hate wasting money.

anyone familiar with this reel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts