Reels

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by bone3160, Dec 6, 2009.

1. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK need some help I fish in the river for striper.I have a 10 foot sealine x rod kastor diawa reel "which they don't make any more".Then I have a 10 foot white team diawa rod with a quatum surge 40 on it.The problem is I don't like the surge 40 I do not like drag system on it.So the question I have is what is a good spinning reel that will hold about 150 yards of 30 lb test braided line which is the size of 8 lb mono??? The problem is right now I can only spend like 80 to 100 dollars......Any suggestions would be appreciated.:confused2::confused2::confused2: I also need a good gear ratio real fast water at the dam at times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    uhh, Im not sure of the line capacity...but the Catmaxx spnning reel is big...i think it might be too big for what you looking for...but it is around 65-70 $$..

3. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    check out the penn captiva reels, got one about 6 months ago so far i love it. smooooth drag, good gear ratio(5.1-1 i think), mines got the liveliner which i like but not sure if there would be a use for your needs. line capacity is good as well 310yds of 8lb. i back mine with 20lb mono to keep from eating so much line when i spool it. you can usually find them for around 80$. ive also heard good things about the cabelas saltstriker spinning reels but never used them personally. good luck i hope this helps.

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've had good luck with Okuma.

5. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Go to the Bass Pro web site and look at the catmaxx spin reels. CM60 and CM80. Outstanding reels for the money. I've got ten of them and been using them for several years.

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Penn Captiva or Shimano Baitrunner.

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    penn and quantum would be good ones to look into

8. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

9. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    My choice would be a Pfluger President spinning reel. I have several and mostly use them on my boat for people who are uncomfortable with baitcasters for casting/jigging stripers. Or i use them myself at the ocean for fishing sheepshead, triggerfish and drum out of the pilings. I use 30lb braid for freshwater and i keep the spare spools loaded with 50lb braid for the saltwater. Just a quick switch is all it takes...

Check them out before you make a purchase. I'd bet you'll be pleased with them...

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    also look at bass pro sea lions

11. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    The Shimano Symetre FJ 4000 has a great drag capacity (15lbs) and is very smoth for big fish and you can burn top water too.

Tight lines

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Shimano Shimano Shimano... Daiwa Daiwa Daiwa.....

These two are always my first choice. How much do you want to spend?

PM me and I can give you a couple of links to stores that have great prices and HUGE selections.