Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kflats, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kflats

kflats New Member

State:
    wamego, ka
    good evening brothers and sisters...I have a question about the Penn 112 H2 or the 113 H2 reel...has anybody out there tried it, owned one or heard anything about them as to if they are worth looking into or not, I am thinking about one of them or a abu garcia 6500 or the Penn 309 ....which would be the better buy?:confused2:

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I dont know anything about those reels but I've cast the penn 209 and different abu's and I'd go with abu's. they cast alot smoother or mine do at least.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with an Abu Garcia 6500 C3. It's one tough reel and can handle some pretty big fish.

4. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i am not sure about those reels my self but i bought a penn 320 gt2 and it has treated me right but the cast brake will not tighten up.:sad2:

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Hi Larry, welcome
    I don't know anything about the 112, or the 113 but the names Penn, and ABU are both synonymous with quality (at least the older ones).
    The 309 is a larger version of the 209 which is what I use. They have been around forever, and you can sometimes find them used fairly reasonable. I also have several ABUs, but really don't prefer one over the other. Dollar for dollar the Penns are hard to beat IMO.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If you look through the material on reels, you will find that the brothers
    have registered the opinion often that the Abu Ambassedeur C3 and the
    Penn 209 are reels that are generational quality. That means that you
    will not be able to wear them out during your lifetime and will be able to
    pass it on to your kids or grandkids. But what do I know? I've got a
    Shakespeare Alpha. All I can smuggly say is I've moved on from Zebco.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A 309 with some good braid will about winch about anything in around here. I got mine for $59, money well spent.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I have both abu's and penns,both are excellent reels and you really can't go wrong with either one. I prefer the penns myself,they have more class in my opinion. They'll outlast you thats for sure,with a little care and reg maitenence. Comes down to cost and what your personal prefrence is,I personally think that penns are the better deal!

As far as cast breaks go,lose the training wheels,and freespool that baby! this ain't no bass fishing site.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I use the Penn 210 about 20 yrs old and have had no trouble.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well all the penns you mentioned are huge and would be a pain to carry around a few.:eek:oooh:

11. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Don't know much about the peens you listed but I have a peen 940 I use a lot , its a great reel the two 209s dont get used much- they seem to be good reels . I have had no problems at all with the 940.

I really like the abu brand and have six different models , there's only one I have difficulty with (9000i) and its leaving soon.

12. brycedeboe

brycedeboe New Member

State:
    danville
    peasonly i think the best way to go is the garcia 6500 its got a awesome clicker and its reals them in no proble i had one for 3 years and just replasted it this spring with another garcia 6500 go with the garcia.

13. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    It would really depend on your use of the reel; both the 6500 and 309 are excellent reels, and, with the right line an proper skill, could bring in any freshwater fish in North America.

The 309 is certainly a bigger reel, and will hold far more line than the Abu (350 yds of 30# mono vs abu's 245yds of 14#), but the Abu will beat it hands-down on casting distance. The other Penn reels you listed are also pretty big, the 113 holds 475 yds, of 30# mono, and the 112 holds 375 yds. of 30#. The 112 was also discontinued in '97. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those reels; just choose one that fits your needs. :wink:

I nearly bought a Penn 209, but decided on an Abu 6500. The Abu was a bit more, but I fish from the bank, so I needed the distance. The Penn held mroe line, but the Abu held enough for anything I'll ever use it for. Of course, it didn't hurt that Abu's are just downright sexy. :cool2:

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Is it the Black 9000i?

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    hey now hands off hes already shipping it to me so back off:tounge_out::wink: aint that right

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Originally Posted by kscathunter:
    hey now hands off hes already shipping it to me so back off:tounge_out::wink: aint that right.

Shipping heck with that I'll just stop over and pick it up.:smile2:

I have the BG9000 that is gold and I have been thinking about upgrading to the 9000i but I have never used the 9000i and did not know if it was worth the extra $$$

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well i never used the reel you got but the reel i got (9i) is flipin amazing:big_smile::big_smile::cool2::cool2:

18. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Yeah I would say the 6500 for me but Really couldn't tell ya unless I knew the areas/types of fishing you do. The 6500 would be the better caster and retrieve quicker because in my opinion the 309 doesn't cast as well and the gear ratio is a little slower.

My go to reels are Abu's , I've collected several over the years and the characteristic's and feel of the different models are great for selecting setups for different water/fishing situations .The only other bait casters I've used are the peens and a Quantum --(Dawia I think).

Quote:Dsage: Is it the Black 9000i?

The Abu I have is the black 9000i , I debated quite a while on which model to get before coming across it. It's a great reel don't get me wrong but the areas I fish and my style/choice of tackle doesn't require such a reel , it reminds me of the peen 309 in size

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  19. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know I am getting in late on this. I do own a 112h it is about the same size as my 309 but the 112 is a little heavier than the 309 and I have to say it out cast my 309 by a mile it is a nice big reel.

20. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I can vouch for that lol. When I had 65LB PP on my 309 I could break off from time to time, since I switched to 80LB PP I have to cut my line cause I cant get it to break. If a stick is around I can wrap it around and I always pull out of the snag or reel the tree in lol. I have a nice spool of 100LB PP I need to put on my 309 but I dont wanna waste a good reel of 80LB.