Reels with manual pick-up

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by buddah, Sep 23, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Anyone use them? I have a rew old reels (Roddy Gyro 22s) that have manual pickup and I really like em' I only use them for trout streams though. Only where a flyrod won't fit. Just curious if any of you ol' timers might have used them? LOL

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a old Daiwa 7000C with a manual bail that that was and still is a great onshore,offshore reel for most fish 30 lb.and below.You have to be prepared to chase the larger fish with a boat to keep from being spooled due to the reel capacity,but the reel did still does it's job.It has held up great for Saltwater use as it is at least 25 years old.Some use to cut or remove the Bail wire for various reasons and fish fine with some of the spinning reels of the 50's.I do not see why you could not do so today.Which are you talking about?I have always operated my bails manually,no matter what contraption they put on them.I think that they last longer.I also prefer the manual control bait runner feature on some spinning reels as I think it is more versatile.I can reel with the light bait runner drag,or the reels main drag.The auto shifting only allows reeling with the reels main drag.peewee-williams

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you for replying Pee-Wee. I still use mine mostly for panfish and stuff. Use it on an older glass rod. the combo works pretty well too!