Reels that fit 9'6" whisker seekers....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by django, May 13, 2018.

1. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    So far the ones that fit.
    Fathom 20
    Abu 6500
    Fathom 25n
    catmaxx

Ones that dont fit.
    Abu 7000 catfish special
    Penn warfare 20
    squall 20 lw

I'm looking for a good reel. I don't want any I already have.
    Which are.
    Abu 7000
    Penn fathom
    Penn warfare
    Catmaxx cms
    Abu 6500
    Kastking rover 40

I was thinking of maybe a daiwa saltist 20. Anyone know if they fit?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    I took a file to my reel seat until my Abu 7000 fit. I'm not the type to sell gear , so it didn't bug me to make it less desirable to someone else. I need just need it to work for me.

tuscan toadfish likes this.

3. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    It's not that they don't fit mine are still wobbly even when the seat is fully locked down on both reels. It's weird to have the same issue with 2 different reels.

4. chillydigits

chillydigits Active Member

State:
    Mt.Liberty Ohio
    I couldn’t get Penn Squall 15lws to lock down and not wobble on the 7’6”H Whisker Seeker Rods.

5. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    Django,

The reason your 7000 is wobbly is because the collar of the reel seat is bottoming out on the seat itself without fully contacting the reel foot. It's weird because my whisker seeker medium heavies with 6500 c3s seat just fine.

What I did was file down the more angular part of the reel seat so that the collar could continue to screw down in the reel foot. The goal was to make the seat slightly more rounded up toward the front. Just removed a bit of plastic and it worked like a charm.

Zigarro likes this.
  6. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Can't speak for the foot Clint, but I have a FTH 30SD that is casting very well on an 8' R/L H.
    Once I got used to a non-LW reel, I won't go back to level wind.

7. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    the 6500 fits perfectly. I'll try that on the 7000.

8. tommeboy

tommeboy Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Thomas
    I have the Saltist 20 on the 9'6" and it fits perfect. I really like the reel. I may be switching all reels over to them or to Takotas. This summer will be the test for both to see witch will win out. I have had the Takota 500 for a couple years and it is my favorite reel as of now. But the fast gear ratio of the Saltists may just win out!

9. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    You want to stick with a reel tgat has a levelwind, right? Get the Komodo 471SS.

You'll be good and happy.

I have a buddy with a Saltist and it seems ok, but doesn't feel solid. Actually, it feels kind of cheap, but that is just my opinion. If I bought a Diawa baitcaster for catfish I would go with the Lexa 400 or Luna 300.

10. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    Get an Okuma.

They are pretty good all around reels.

they do not cast as far and are not as smooth as Shimano Tranx or Abu Beast....but they are quite nice and they have a clicker....

if you need a clicker...then there is only one choice...the Okuma.

if you want max casting range and super smooth retrieves...then Okuma is NOT the way to go. The Tramnx 300 and 400 series are the bomb.....the Abu Revo Toro Beast is another fine one...

If you can find the older Abus....they are nice too....the NACL or the Revo Toro Winch....they stopped making those for whatever retarded reason

11. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I messed around with my Komodos and realized that the spool bearings were packed extensively with grease. Once all the excess greased is cleaned out the reel casts as far as any other big low pro.

Okuma must have packed the bearings because these reels are really popular with West coast saltwater anglers. Better to protect the bearings and sacrifice a few yards.

Still, in actual fishing scenarios and based on my experiance, I would bet my money that most guys would never see a differance in casting distance between any of these big low pro reels right out of the box unless attempting to cast 1oz lures.

12. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    I got a saltist20h-c(the black one). Its rock solid. I also ordered a 471 but I'll need a rod for it too. Lol.

Beastly Backlash likes this.
  13. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    The nice thing about the Komodos is that I was literally able to use them to fill the niches of half a dozen other set-ups.

I have a lot of gear that sits idle now.

14. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    My friend on here panfish bill swears by them.

15. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    That makes two of us.

I use them extensively in saltwater when I travel, I have caught some very large and powerful fish on my 471SS's. It is pretty amazing what you can do with some of these reels, especially when, at first glance you think to yourself, "no way".

I have purposely fished for some very big fish with the intention of causing the reel to fail, but never have succeeded.

16. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Okuma Citrix 350 Komodo 350/450

Beastly Backlash likes this.
  17. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    lol...