reels making metal nsound

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, May 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    my abues are making metal on metal sounds wen casting, is that bad, or can i just vpoen thejm and spray wd49 in one side, i will not vatemnt to take them apart , there sill working good

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    sounds like you need to clean an grease them wd 40 will help for a short time ,but oil or reel grease will last a lot longer

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    try putting some of the oil that comes with them on the levelwind teeth (worm) and lean it to one side then the other while reeling n see if that helps.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Turn the clicker off when casting!:smile2:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its not the cliker i dont cast with a cliker on, thats imposable, it just has a ruff feel to it, wen casting like its not smoth, sounds like metal on metal, a slight high piched metalik sound, im not geting the distanse like i had , i realy need them tuned up,

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you have a problem related to just a cleaning , then a WD-40 spraying may help the problem,,,
    If you have something going on that needs parts replacement,, it'll become More apparent as time goes on,,,
    What model of Abu reels are you talking about?

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Grease the gears & oil everything :eek:oooh:else.Metal on metal don,t even sound good!

8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Did you get sand in along side of the spool? That will make them sound like that. Or a dry bearing will sound like that too. Anyway they need to come apart to be cleaned and lubed. Go down to the Reel Repair and Upgrades Section on here they show how to take them apart to clean them. It does a step by step on what you have to do. Just a heads up on where to go for help. If you have to let a freind or a fishing buddy do them. It is not that hard to do you can always take a lot of pics of what goes where. So you can get it back where it belongs. Once you do it a few times it is easyer to do. It is part of fishing to take care of your reels and rods.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take them apart and clean them. If it still does it when you cast, then you probably have a bent axle. The older types with the axles being part of the spool, Had a tendency to bend. Usually from getting snags, and thumbing the spool and walking backwards to break the line. When the axles are bent they'll have a rythmic scraping sound as the spool grinds on the frame. Another indication of a bent spool is the side of the spool will have a bare spot on the edge.

10. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Make sure all the screws are tight. I had the same type noise with one of mine, made a terrible noise when I cast out. Reeled in and noticed that the thumb screws that hold it together were loose not letting everything mesh. tightened them up, fixed the problem. They weren't loose enough to notice until I checked them.