Reels from a yard sale

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Dirtdobber, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I went to a yard sale down the street and the guy had a box of reels marked $10. When I looked in the box, on top was an Abu 5000D and under it was a Black 6000. I offered him $5 and got it for $7.50 . There is a Shakespeare bait caster and a Shimono bait caster also. All are a little rough, but if only one of them work I got a steal.

I ask him why he had them priced that way (after I payed him), he said that he didn,t fish:crazy: so it didn't matter to him. That was all the fishing tackle he had. Glad I walked do there!!

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm a yard sale junkie!!! There is a big retirement village here and alot of times gramps fishin tackle, tools, golf clubs go dirt cheap. It's all about being at the right place at the right time.:roll_eyes:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you got a steal regardless reels are rebuildable as long as you can get parts.

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've been out in the shop checking the reels. They all work except the 6000. needs the drag nut and a handle. I think it will work then. They have just been laying around and just need a good cleaning.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Good find.Every now and then I find some old Mitchell 300s that way.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The black reel is a 6000c. If it's an older one with knobs on both side it's worth some pretty good cash. I just mounted 2 of them on new team catfish rods today. Totally rebuilt of course. (new drag washers, line guides, and worm gears, etc, etc. I have them strung with yellow power pro. they look pretty sweet on those rods. Does yours have beveled sideplates, or ribbed? the ribbed ones are older. the 5000 d's sell pretty high depending on the condition. Anyway you slice it, you got one hell of a steal. I look for them all time in yard sales. Sometimes I get lucky. Good find!

Attached Files:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim congrats on a great find. WTG.

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here is a pic of the 6000c

Attached Files:

9. fatcatman

fatcatman New Member

State:
    IL
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Good buy Jim, nothing like a good deal at a yard sale or flea market.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Mark those are some nice set up's.

12. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love a good sale but I've never come close to your steal of a deal and you got some bargaining in to boot.You are my type of guy!...:roll_eyes::wink::roll_eyes:

13. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have a 6000c and old 5000 and old 6000 and a iron and a new 5000 the old ones work better then the new ones

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I went to a rumage sale, picked up 2 reels for 25 bucks, they were marked 25 bucks each. They are rough lookin, and needed cleanup, but that was cheap enough. One of em is really nice but doesn't look so hot.

15. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    Sounds like a good find, I've found a few in yard sales. Pawn-shops sometimes have good deals. Most I've found there just need a general scrubbing down.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a great deal,,, Those should have not only parts, but, Upgrades available also..
    Good Fishin'