Reels for the big ones? - What do the BOC Members use to catch catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Jan 28, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What type of reels do boc members use to land the big river cats? I am kind of new to big river fishing and would greatly appreciate the info!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use ABU 6000's, 6600's, 7000's and The Shakespear Tidewater 30L. I have found these to be very capable reels for use on the Ohio and Green rivers. Some may not agree with this assesment but they work well for me.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ABU 6500-7000 series..And also the penn 320 gt2-320gt1.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with these guys. I use the 6000's and the 6500's for all my cat fishing.

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    6500C3 - going on 5 years of hard use, no problems.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I only use the Penn 320gti or gt2 reels for TROPHY cats. The 209 and 309 are great reels to they just don't have the better retrieval ratio and are not caster friendly for the inexperienced baitcaster fisherman.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    1st welcome to big river fishing. all the above reels are good i personally use abu 7000's and tidewater 30L's but thats my preference . if your not experienced with these be carefull of backlash . and try to find reels rated for large line i use 30#big game and bigger 1 of my 7's has 80#dacron i only use it in the boat do to the fact that its unbreakable my other 7k has 50#mono its good for bank fishing cause if i hang up it will break i keep 30# on my tide waters the tide waters dont seem to cast as well for me as abu's ....price for these reels tide water 30 to 40$ and 7000's 100$ make certan you choose a rod with a good back bone medium heavy to heavy i prefer 6' ugly sticks in the boat and 10' big game on the bank.........hope this helps and good luck

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Penn jigmaster 500 if it won't land it then you'll need a tow truck.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for your replies! You all have been really helpful. I wish you all good luck in fishing and in life. THANKS AGAIN!!

10. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have just received three new Penn GTO series reels and they are really nice. I put them on 7ft heavy action rods and they will cast forever. First time I tried to cast it, it went all-most 100yds. The bait clickers are stiffer than most, which I like for when I fish heavy current.

11. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ABU Garcia 6500C3 - Excellent reel and dependable, will take the abuse and cleans up really well with limited maintenance.

MAJ D

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have them all but like the Pflueger Trion round baitcaster the most it is the model 66 the bigest and the only one with a clicker.
    Danny

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My experience with big rivers means big fish and heavy current. I've found that when fishing from a boat anchored in the swift water below a powerhouse, my Abu 6500 doesn't have a strong enough drag system to pull in a 10# blue cat. I don't mind chasing a big cat downriver to get it in, but not a little 10# kitty. I'll have to admit that I love it for catching eaters in less demanding waters, though. Maybe a 7000 or even a 10000 would do the job; I don't know. But I do know that Penn reels will handle it; I've got a dozen or so. I've got a Jigmaster 500 that I bought in 1966 for surf fishing off the Vandenberg AFB, CA coast, but that now makes an excellent catfishing reel that casts very well, but not great; a Leveline I bought a few years later falls into the same category, but has a bar that acts as a levelwind only when there is pressure on the line, but is inactive when there is no pressure on the line. My next reel purchase will be something in the Penn GT series. I've seen them cast, and they are at least as good as an Abu, while having the ruggedness and dependability of a Penn.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You didn't specify what type of reels but in case you use spinning reels the PENN 7500/8500s are top drawer in my book and have handled fish up to 60 lbs for me including in heavy river current.:)

15. handlonhardpack

handlonhardpack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use 6000 ,6500, 7000 abu or some open face I fish a lot of tournaments and these reels work good in the ohio you need good line like 40, 70, 80, pound good luck wayne

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    For the really big ones i use the ABU 7000s and a tidewater 30L.I also have a ABU 6500c3 but i havent used it yet.

17. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive got 5 6500, 1 penn 320, 1 7000, 1 tidewater 10L. It is just what ever you feel comfortable with. My biggest blue was on the tidewater.Make sure you have a good line or it wont matter.

18. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the 6000 Abu's. Have landed many fish with them large and small, and they get the job done for the type of fishing I do. I have seen a 42lb flat brought in with a Zebco 33 classic before. But it was gutting the poor old reel...LOL

You should of seen the guy working the fish. He knew what he was doing because he landed the fish. And the sound of that poor reel. I get a chuckle just thinking about it.

19. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I've been fishing off and on all my life, so like yourself I am pretty new to catting, I've caught many channels which I've used my 6000, 6500c3 and 7000c3--I guess the 7000c3 mated with my TIGER Rod is way over doing it for channels mainly cause they are under 8 lb.s but IT'S SO MUCH FUN. Now I haven't caught anything myself over 8 lbs. but I do have 2-7000's,2-PENN 320 GT2'S, PENN JIGMASTER 500M (VINTAGE), QUANTUM IRON IR 335 and 2-DIAWA EMBLEMS SPINNING REELS THAT HOLDS HEAVY LINE.

20. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks alot for the info!! good fishing to you all!!