Reels for Left-handed people?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TA2D, May 25, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Who makes them, I have found the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501 and the Penn 321 GTI in the left hand models, are there more out there or am a Spit out of Luck?

Aaron

TA2D

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Last time I checked, Catfish Connection has some left handed Abu Garcias. Unfortunately I cant help you more though.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe any Abu that ends in the model number "1" is for the lefty's. But from what I've seen of you guys, you function better in a right hand world anyhow. LOL

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Abu also makes the 7000 in left hand. Okuma has some left handed baitcasters, found a few Shimano left hand reels too. They are out there just got to hunt for them.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    By a strange coincidence, it is the Abu Garcia 7001, 3 ball bearings, priced around $140.00 new. LOL

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Shimano also has L/H. Its all I use. When I get the chance I'll list all the L/H reels I own.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I am a lefty as well and I just got a Okuma IDX400 LX The LX stands for left handed model. Its a great reel and has all the quality of the Shimano calcutta models. It was a hundred bucks. The Calcuttas are $240.0 and up
    The reel hols 180 yrds of 20# test which is good for me.

Here are pics.

Attached Files:

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Tried to add this but to late: 7 stainless steel ball bearings, one piece aluminum frame, rulidium drag. a great reel for da moola.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm lefthanded and as far as I am concerned right hand reels are for lefties.
    I cast left handed and reel with the right.
    Just watch a right hander fishing with a right handed reel. They have to do a juggling act switching the rod and reel from hand to hand from cast to retrieve.
    The way I see it the left hand reels would do the right handers some justice.

Being lefthanded my strongest hand and arm are my left which happens to be the hand holding the rod and reel.

I have some kin folk here on the farm that have it all figured out being right handed.
    They buy left hand guns and left hand reels.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Same here! I agree 100 percent! It's funny but I shoot and swing a baseball bat right handed as well as fish, but everything else is left handed!

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Your so right on with this post. I'm a Southpaw as well. One of My right handed fishing buddies and I were Bass fishing one morning. He couldn't figure out how I got My buzzbait up on top of the water so fast. (It never goes under the water) I told him Because I'm left handed and don't have to switch hands after the cast to retrieve. LOL One of the few times in life it's actualy easier to be a leftie.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yet one more reason why i like open faced spinners - most are left or right hand

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I agree, While I use baitcasters, There are times I use only spinning reels.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm a lefty too and all I can do left handed is write. I swing a bat right handed. Don't even think I'd be able to use a left handed reel. Don't care for those spinning reels upside down either with the crank on the left. They are usually interchangable tho but I never quite got the hang of them so I usually use my baitcasters or the good old zebco's.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Brad, buzzbaits are the first thing that came to mind for me also.
    Being able to keep those sinking top water baits on top is a plus especially when fishing grass beds and the like

I am a true lefty Delta. I batted and pitched lefthanded.
    I wasn't a bad pitcher in baseball. I could throw sidearm 3/4 or overhand.
    My best changeup was my arm elevation and the screwball.
    I had a hard time with lefthanded batters though. Thank goodness there wasnt many of them. I managed just 2 no hitters but was on track for more before being pulled from games we had in the bag.

Those were some fun years. My dad recently just told me he had found a bunch of newspaper clippings in the basement of my baseball exploits. I really sucked at hitting though but I could lay down some nice drag bunts.
    My coach was sloppy fat, poor, and had a love unmatched for the game of baseball. He got stuck with the runts nobody else wanted and the worn out equipment. Every year he managed to put a team in the chanpionship game.
    I'll never forget the team having to push his Falcon FuryIII in the practice parking lots because it didnt have reverse or while riding the bus to school seeing him hitch hike to work because his car was broke down but he was always at practice and at the games.

Golf. Being left handed put that dog down for good. I finally figured out 2 things. Golf courses were made for righthanders and I couldnt afford to play golf and fish. The only good thing about being left handed and the game of golf was if you happened to leave your sand wedge laying on the edge of the green and missed it 3 days later you could go to the clubhouse and someone had turned it in.:big_smile:

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is one reason I use almost nothing but spinning reels. They were designed so that a right-hander didn't have to switch hands. A couple of years ago I thought about this more in depth and will hopefully be looking for "left-handed" baitcasters soon. It confuses me every time I see a right-hander using a spinning reel with the handle on the right side.

Anyone know if the Shimano Calcutta comes in left-handed models?

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree with left handed reels for Most right handed people.Looks like the reel manufactures would wake up.peewee-williams

18. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I agree I'm a rightie but raised on spinning reels, now that I use levelwinds I still like to hold my rod in the right hand and retrieve with the left.
    Penn 321 GTI
    Calcutta has one not sure of name expensive but nice.
    ABU 7001
    Most reels when ending in a 1 is the lefty version for that model.

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    This has nothing to do with reels but with being left or right handed. They say that the right side of the body is controlled by the left side of the brain and vice versa. So to all of us lefties.....you could we are the only ones in the "right" mind. LOL

20. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I like the Abu Garcia left hand models. I'm right handed but I fish with left handed reels, as mentioned why juggle?